Lets Be Honest Here G3's Screen Isn't GREAT.

DroidFox

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why So Much Hating on the Screen?

Go to Bestbuy, look at the TVs on display. Look at Samsung's S4 and S5 screens.

Oversaturated colors are the new norm for a lot of people.

True but the TV's on display are setup that way on purpose, which is my point. People don't bother too much with a natural look because it looks washed out when compared to oversaturated screens. I love the natural colors and contrast of the G3.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The screen is the ONLY reason I considered the phone to be honest. Played with it for three days and it wasn't all it was hyped up to be and had a somewhat disappointing camera but the screen was amazing. Viewing the pictures my 1520 took on that thing was like viewing a whole new picture.

You can view your 1520 camera shots on a lot of different phones and you will be amazed Bro..While the 1520's big screen is nice,it doesn't do as well as many others out there. Many die hard WP fans won't believe that,but is the truth.

FWIW..when I compared the HTC M8 and the G3's at the store,I noticed the whites right off and wasn't impressed at all with it. It was one of the reasons I opted for the M8 instead. Not the only reason,but 1 of the reasons. I don't believe in being a early adopter to new technology until it's proven. I say if it's not to your liking,swap it for something you are,but agree with the op that the screen isn't as good as what it should be right now.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can view your 1520 camera shots on a lot of different phones and you will be amazed Bro..While the 1520's big screen is nice,it doesn't do as well as many others out there. Many die hard WP fans won't believe that,but is the truth.

FWIW..when I compared the HTC M8 and the G3's at the store,I noticed the whites right off and wasn't impressed at all with it. It was one of the reasons I opted for the M8 instead. Not the only reason,but 1 of the reasons. I don't believe in being a early adopter to new technology until it's proven. I say if it's not to your liking,swap it for something you are,but agree with the op that the screen isn't as good as what it should be right now.

I have the M8 in hand now, the color reproduction is okay. The only thing I think it excels above the 1520 in is the brightness settings. The auto-brightness works better but as far as actual color reproduction goes, darks on the M8 aren't dark enough and it seems to have blur where there was none on the G3. (And is less on the 1520)

Not that that aspect matters with the M8. This thing's camera belongs on a phone from 2006.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I can tell with reading. Reading on the G3 is liquid gold, man.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanked for truth!

Reading on my S3 caused straining and burning sensations after an hour or more of reading and playing games. The G3 has been so damn good! Perhaps its the 5.5" screen but I think its mainly the lower saturation thats helped my eyes!

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'll keep this pic up because it has a pic of my daughter but here is a pic of the G3, G2, N4 and iPhone 1 I took last weekend for fun with my iPad Air... not even to compare for this thread cause lighting was bad and didnt care about getting focus perfect... but just happened to have the phones nearby and took it more to capture the change in screen size in phones over time.

The original pic I used for wallpaper is 4288x2848 so each phone set it to wallpaper around it's resolution I imagine.

The pic doesnt do it justice but I will say both my LG screens are nice. The sharpness on both screens are nice. I don't have the G2 next to me right now but detail/sharpness on the G3 is excellent. I can see more detail in the feathers better than I can with my 42" Samsung Plasma and 22" Samsung LED I am using for my desktop monitors.

I think I had both phones set at 75% brightness and admit the G3 is not as bright as the G2 at same level but would say if you bump the G3 to 85%-90% you have a better match in brightness level (which may buump up the white level too in the G3). But these are two difference screens... two different panels manufactured differenty to different specs. So they didnt match brightness levels at same percentage... big whoop!

The G3 doesnt have a range where I cannot work or live with. I'm just fine at it 75%... geez some people post that they run at 25% so who cares if it's not as bright as the G2. The whites are not as bright and the contrast is not dialed in like the G2 so one looks "warmer" than the other... As someone mentioned you can change settings if your use to more oversaturation like the Samsungs. I like the Samsung look sometimes but it's not realistic IMO. For whatever reason LG dialed it in to the way it is... maybe because they feel it best for the 2k screen. Maybe it was to generate less power. I honestly don't remember which phone shows the more accurate color to the original... don't care cause they both look excellent to me. At least I'm comparing same pic.

Some people comparing G2 UI to G3... of course there will be a noticeable difference.... G3 has changed to current trend of flattening out the look as well as the colors. the G3 is gonna look flatter against the G2.

IMO I think the G3 screen is really nice. Comparing it to others, even the G2, is like hearing arguments differences between LED and Plasma TV screens or differences between the Samsung Screen and Panasonics where honestly most is not going to know the difference or really know which one is truely the more accurate. Does anyone really look around them and see everything in oversaturated beauty? Must be wearing rose colored glasses I guess ;)

Oh, and in the picture... NO YELLOW. So whoever thinks all the G3s have a inherent yellow problem. Not true.

Time to get back to work. Lucky I'm getting paid while writing this ;)

photo.jpg

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS... I think the G3 screen is GREAT! :)

My opinoin... The G3 is a solid phone and a solid successor to the G2. G2 got a couple updates during the year that refined it. G3 will too.

So I say enjoy the phone and quit knitpicking... cause in less than 12 months there will be a G4 to beat the G3 lol

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanked for truth!

Reading on my S3 caused straining and burning sensations after an hour or more of reading and playing games. The G3 has been so damn good! Perhaps its the 5.5" screen but I think its mainly the lower saturation thats helped my eyes!

You might need a prescription to get rid of the "straining and burning sensations"

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually think the G3 screen is GREAT...I had the HTC DNA which had an excellent screen and the G3's is even better.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You might need a prescription to get rid of the "straining and burning sensations"

Of course I have man, c'mon now! S3 with or without glasses caused strain/burning but my G3 so far have had no problems. I'm also viewing the G3 screen without my glasses most times! My prescrip is very small. Like for beginners. Right and left eyes both at -1.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
People have to much time on their hands if you can compare screens all day then make comparisons then post and comment of same. Everyone sees something a little different. Let's just say that. If you think the Note 3 screen is better. Then it is. If I think some other screen if better then it is.

Chregu

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
People have to much time on their hands if you can compare screens all day then make comparisons then post and comment of same. Everyone sees something a little different. Let's just say that. If you think the Note 3 screen is better. Then it is. If I think some other screen if better then it is.

In all fairness, I had a sick day today. Nothing better than suffering from a cold and making pictures of my devices ;-)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The g3 display is good, but not as accurate or as bright as some other devices.

3a3uzeze.jpg

y6amadu7.jpg

e2e6aqy2.jpg

7uhyzety.jpg

3evesypu.jpg

9aqe2e6y.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mrluky

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes the screen will look yellow right after you get threw smoking that whacky tabacy. stop smoking that stuff
i have to admit comparing the g2 with g3 and galaxy s5.
the so called 2k display isnt great... also there's no use for it atm maybe in a few years i think lf just rushed it out just to be the first..
the g3 screen isnt even great the colors are off the whites are horrible it seems so dullish even with full brightness.
dont give me that crap about ooh well samsung has super amoled to make the colors pop out bla bla.
well even compared to the g2 why is it so dull. also i am aware of the color adjustment setting it helps but nothing can change the fact that the whites are still off and it still kinda dull on colors.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The upper one is an iPad Air, the lower one obviously the G3. Both pictures taken with brightness at max in the same conditions. The brownish tint was made by the camera, and as you can see it's about the same on both devices. In reality they both just look white in my eyes.

Edit: Give me a second, I'll redo this in a more accurate way.

Edit2: The same test picture taken from about the same distance (notice the resolution difference of the screen ;-) )

View attachment 129934

View attachment 129935

these are mine

g3
e9etade4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjrhr7ktewrgvpw/20140730_061134.jpg

g2
de3ema2a

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5ix76r5rdij3jt/20140730_061209.jpg

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The main thing is that people are happy and have a great viewing experience.

If your unhappy with the screen then there are others devices available.

Some will argue that its smooth and accurate and other who say the opposite.

Such as life we won't all agree on the same things and nor should we.

If your finding this screen washed out issue but are happy great.

If your finding this issue and its an annoyance I'm sure you'll be returning also great, and hope whatever device you decide on is better fitted to your likes.

If you not seeing it what so ever then also great.

There is no real issue if you look at the bigger picture. And to clear this point up. You can return if not happy or if as stated above you can live with it or to those like me not seeing it then of course we will be content. So the issue may be there for others not so much. Whatever it may be there is a solution.

The G3 is not going to please all.

I'm more than happy with mine but I'm not forcing my opinions on others nor am I claiming its the best thing since bread came sliced just to clear that up before well you know lol

I'm just stating that for me I like it screen and all and it fits into my likes :).

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The main thing is that people are happy and have a great viewing experience.

i think its just that some others g3 screen came out okay and look better than others.
and i think people are just upset that all the phones arnt calibrated the same way from the factories.
not all phones will come out the same. if it bothers them they can return it and try there luck with another pull.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
i think its just that some others g3 screen came out okay and look better than others.
and i think people are just upset that all the phones arnt calibrated the same way from the factories.
not all phones will come out the same. if it bothers them they can return it and try there luck with another pull.

Yes there will be imperfections its just the way things go with mass produced tech.

You see issues in any forum be it Note 3 to the S5 and M8 and yes the G3.

You also see the positives and that all is well, no issues or there were and they are resolved or they weren't and had to return and try their luck with another.

But the screen is subtle in its colour reproduction but that is one that I like. I also liked Amoled nothing wrong with it. My Z2 has more saturated colours than the G3 but I like them both.

Each to their own though and as I have said if its not for you then that's just the way it goes.

DarthRaiderHD

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and in the picture... NO YELLOW. So whoever thinks all the G3s have a inherent yellow problem. Not true.

Time to get back to work. Lucky I'm getting paid while writing this ;)

View attachment 129965

Same here. My whites are white.

My whites are whiter than anything else. :D

So far this phone has the best screen/display ever - for me. :) (I had iPhones and Nexus phones.)

Sent from my LG-D855 using AC Forums mobile app

No yellow here and I'm very happy with the display on mine. But if you aren't happy with the G3, go buy something else. Pretty easy solution.

No yellowish tint on my end either. The monitor I was comparing it to is far from crap. (Not mine either). Its one for photography for accurate colors and its pretty nice if I can afford that one. I'm using a VZW one

Sent from my LG G3 (tapatalk)

I'm glad I know how to calibrate my screen properly with the color adjustment tool so I get the best possible colors. I compared my G3 to a G2 in the store and have to say they look identical, as far as white balance is concerned. The G3 screen just looks way better up close. (i tend to keep the phone close to my face)

u guys are in denial u can tell from these pics the g3 is duller , washed out, un lively.
okay okay yea its better on ur eyes bla bla and les strainer.. and oh its true colors bla bla.

well the some people when they look at there g2 then a g3 and notice that dullish washed out display and say hey wait a minute why is this off isnt it supposed to be 2k?

Last edited by a moderator:

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's like people coming from a Galaxy series and looks at every other screen and says it looks duller, un lively compared to my Galaxy...

Hello, what you see with those are oversaturated images you've been looking at all this time and comparing it to. Not even true to life accurate and people use stuff like that as comparison. Not that much different in your case... The G2 screen may be 'brighter' to some degree. Could also say it's set a bit on the saturated side. But then why blame the G3 for being more accurate in color?

Look at the sample 2k videos that come with the G3... If I look at them and judge on the only the phone itself, the resolution looks sharp and detailed... you can zoom in on those videos you know and see how detail the screen can show. And when you look at the different sceneries like mountains and castles and fields and sky and night time... the colors, to me, look damn vibrant to me and doesnt look washed out to me. So you see what the screen is capable of eh?

I still have the G2 at home. I think its a great phone with a really really great screen. But I'm gonna say the G3 screen a great screen in it's own right. If you want that pop in color, I'll agree with you on the G2 but won't say it's more accurate in color when doing so. If you want sharpness and detail, I'm probably gonna give the nod to G3 and we'll see over time if we'll see material come out to take advantage of the 2k. I could have been happy with they stayed 1080... but they were trying to be cutting edge.

u guys are in denial u can tell from these pics the g3 is duller , washed out, un lively.
okay okay yea its better on ur eyes bla bla and les strainer.. and oh its true colors bla bla.

well the some people when they look at there g2 then a g3 and notice that dullish washed out display and say hey wait a minute why is this off isnt it supposed to be 2k? its sharper yes .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch