Lets Be Honest Here G3's Screen Isn't GREAT.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
As I've mentioned in a previous post; the screen on the G3 does look a little washed out when I compared it directly to my Note3. I also compared mine as well as the 2 display G3's to a M8 and S5 when I was in Verizon the other day getting my circle case, same results.
Does that mean the screen isn't very nice on the G3? Nope, using the phone now for a week and not comparing it to anything else the screen looks just fine (maybe you could even say more real world). For me, all the screens these days are pretty much awesome....my eyes are too old and tired to differentiate the microscopic subtleties.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
As I've mentioned in a previous post; the screen on the G3 does look a little washed out when I compared it directly to my Note3. I also compared mine as well as the 2 display G3's to a M8 and S5 when I was in Verizon the other day getting my circle case, same results.
Does that mean the screen isn't very nice on the G3? Nope, using the phone now for a week and not comparing it to anything else the screen looks just fine (maybe you could even say more real world). For me, all the screens these days are pretty much awesome....my eyes are too old and tired to differentiate the microscopic subtleties.

Not having a go but you can't compare to the Note 3 as that is Amoled technology and the G3 is LCD so there will be a great difference there in terms of whites and black's.

As for the rest results on m8 I can't test and S5 is again Amoled.

Is the G3 screen appearing washed out to some yes for me I would say toned down.

For the latter part though I agree with you :)

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Huh? You say "Not having a go but you can't compare to the Note 3 as that is Amoled technology and the G3 is LCD so there will be a great difference there in terms of whites and black's."
I'm not comparing technology....just a simple observation that the Note3 was a little more "brilliant" regardless what or how it's made.
What if I were to say that a V12 were faster than a 4 cylinder...yes, the V12 is faster, regardless that is completely different than a 4 cylinder.
So again, the Note3 appears to be more brilliant than the G3 (even if the Note 3 were made of oatmeal).

Not having a go but you can't compare to the Note 3 as that is Amoled technology and the G3 is LCD so there will be a great difference there in terms of whites and black's.

As for the rest results on m8 I can't test and S5 is again Amoled.

Is the G3 screen appearing washed out to some yes for me I would say toned down.

For the latter part though I agree with you :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Huh? You say "Not having a go but you can't compare to the Note 3 as that is Amoled technology and the G3 is LCD so there will be a great difference there in terms of whites and black's."
I'm not comparing technology....just a simple observation that the Note3 was a little more "brilliant" regardless what or how it's made.
What if I were to say that a V12 were faster than a 4 cylinder...yes, the V12 is faster, regardless that is completely different than a 4 cylinder.
So again, the Note3 appears to be more brilliant than the G3 (even if the Note 3 were made of oatmeal).

The Amoled some may perceive as brilliant to others it may not.

To some the G3's screen may appear to be washed out to some toned down for those that don't like the vibrance.

What I was stating and was not having a go by any means is that one is Amoled and one is LCD of course they are going to be different so comparing them expecting anything other than differences is not logical.

My point exactly lol

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

OK gotcha so Amoled and the Tech used in LCD on the G3 and comparing which has the best results.

Of their use of technology well yes the Amoled/Screen is more popping in comparisons to the G3 which has a more toned down appearance.

Still both great IMO for different aspects and reasons.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
how can u not see the yellowish tint the whites have and the dull colors.
ur monitor is prob crap then. idk.

No yellowish tint on my end either. The monitor I was comparing it to is far from crap. (Not mine either). Its one for photography for accurate colors and its pretty nice if I can afford that one. I'm using a VZW one

Sent from my LG G3 (tapatalk)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha what? After all that the Note 3 screen still appears brighter and more brilliant than the G3....like I said, just my observation.

OK gotcha so Amoled and the Tech used in LCD on the G3 and comparing which has the best results.

Of their use of technology well yes the Amoled/Screen is more popping in comparisons to the G3 which has a more toned down appearance.

Still both great IMO for different aspects and reasons.

eunesh

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why do people hate on the G3 screen so much? It is no worse than any other screen, and if not, better than the other screens. You most likely won't notice the different v.s. 1080p screens, but why hate on it so much? Nothing is bad about it, it is simply.... future-proofing technology, for atleast a few months ;)

Technology moves fast.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone sees things differently. Literally.
One person's brilliant is another's washed out.
If we all were the same, it would be a really boring world.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

DroidFox

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Why So Much Hating on the Screen?

It's beautiful! Even after coming from my oversaturated Galaxy I'm loving it. Perhaps there are some screens out there that were defective, because I literally have none of the issues reported. My whites are white, blacks are blacks, and yellows are yellow. It's crisp, bright, and natural. I think we have some trolls out there too who are making up stuff. I also think that people have gotten used to oversaturated, unnatural screens.

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why So Much Hating on the Screen?

I honestly feel my One X screen was better. Better colors (super natural, was the best screen ever when it came out), better viewing angles, better outdoor visibility (I have to pump it close to 100% to even see the G3 screen half the time. I kept my One X at 50% all day.) The perfect size is why I kept the G3.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I think it was moreso because it isn't even as good as the G2's display. Seems like they rushed it just to be the first QHD display. But I'm sure they'll work out the issues for their next phone

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not hating but to me, it was pretty dull and the sharpening looked odd. The colors were not the issue for me. Even compared to my N5, I had to increase the brightness 10 points to be close in brightness.

That with the power consumption and heat throttling, the QHD comes at great cost!

That's okay- that is why they have a return period but if you like it that is all that matters.

Posted via my Xperia Z2

Last edited:

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

It's beautiful! Even after coming from my oversaturated Galaxy I'm loving it. Perhaps there are some screens out there that were defective, because I literally have none of the issues reported. My whites are white, blacks are blacks, and yellows are yellow. It's crisp, bright, and natural. I think we have some trolls out there too who are making up stuff. I also think that people have gotten used to oversaturated, unnatural screens.

Yea I'm thinking the same thing about trolls on here. My G3 is like u said crisp bright n natural. I have not seen any of the yellowish tint or any of the other some ppl r saying.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3

bongaroo

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Yea I'm thinking the same thing about trolls on here. My G3 is like u said crisp bright n natural. I have not seen any of the yellowish tint or any of the other some ppl r saying.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3

Same here, haters gonna hate, amiright? lol

Posted via my LG G3

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Hating seems a bit strong, I don't recall many if any comments about hating the screen.
If you are referring to people commenting about brightness, saturation, etc. and it leads to not saying that the G3 is the best screen man has ever made....well, not sure that's "hating" as much as just expressing their personal experience with their particular phone.
Not everyone is going to think that the screen is the end all to all screens, sorry.

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

It's the fact it's not better than a phone I had for two years that bugs me. I would love to see the distribution of which phone people came from. I put the two phones next to each other and tested a bunch. That's not trolling. That's just being honest, and I would love to see a review of the G3 that says anything like this:

In a review by The Verge, Chris Ziegler writes that the "One X's display is, without a hint of hyperbole, the best I've ever seen on a phone. Full stop. Seriously, I'm struggling to find fault with it in any way: it's got a near-perfect 180 degree viewing angle and perhaps the most accurate color reproduction and color temperature available". Brent Rose of Gizmodo writes, "By the beard of Zeus, the screen! The 4.7-inch Super LCD2 is simply the best screen on a mobile device. Ever."

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I know how to calibrate my screen properly with the color adjustment tool so I get the best possible colors. I compared my G3 to a G2 in the store and have to say they look identical, as far as white balance is concerned. The G3 screen just looks way better up close. (i tend to keep the phone close to my face)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

Go to Bestbuy, look at the TVs on display. Look at Samsung's S4 and S5 screens.

Oversaturated colors are the new norm for a lot of people.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen is the ONLY reason I considered the phone to be honest. Played with it for three days and it wasn't all it was hyped up to be and had a somewhat disappointing camera but the screen was amazing. Viewing the pictures my 1520 took on that thing was like viewing a whole new picture.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Groenborg