How is the LG G3?

pridhvi

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
since android L is a 64 bit os,when the final version hits the present flagships like the HTC M8 and the LG G3,which are running 32 bit chipsets,will the performance be as smooth and fluid as its going to be on the upcoming 64 bit chipsets with the note 4 and nexus 6?will there be a significant change in the overall performance of the present devices compared to those yet to release?(i'm a newbie.so please bear with me)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My JUMP was up in July, so I had my pick of the litter. Now... the M8. First, coming from a Nexus 5, the M8's software felt the best of any non-Nexus phone. It was laid out similar to my Nexus 5 and it was the only one that came close (but not matching) the fluidity. An unmodified Nexus 5 is a sight to behold in terms of smoothness. But in any case... the G3 doesn't match that overall fluidity, but that's only noticeable if I held them side by side.... which I shopped doing due to the fact that my Nexus is getting shipped off to T-Mobile this week and using it only gives me buyers remorse. :) That was such an awesome phone.... but I'm moving on and the G3 was my choice.

I have two issues with the M8.... Unless you are taking selfies and only posting on instagram, the camera has problems. Yes, pixel counts aren't the end-all when comparing cameras, but when you put a 4MP shooter up against cams that pack 2 (Nexus 5, iPhone 5s) or 3 times (S5, G3) the detail, that deficiency is going to become a problem if you want to use the phone as your daily, out and about camera. Secondly, I don't listen to music much on my phone (and when I do, I use headphones. So speakers aren't high on my list. Yeah, they sound incredible, especially when compared to other phones. But they also take up a LOT of space. The HTC is actually TALLER than the G3 and side by side, and the M8 looked oddly dis-proportioned with a ton of room lost to bezel/speaker. The M8 is a great phone, just not a great phone for me.... If I didn't need a workable camera and speaker sound was important, that would probably be THE phone.

The S5? Well... I don't like the S5 because, well, because Samsung. Great hardware.... rest blows. From the not just locked, but encrypted bootloaders to the heavily laded-down Touchwiz interface. Samsung, you suck. Enough already.

But I have some detailed opinions over on a thread I started : Former Nexus 5 zealot's first impressions. I'm not yet on a week with the phone, so that thread is stream of consciousness.

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
My JUMP was up in July, so I had my pick of the litter. Now... the M8. First, coming from a Nexus 5, the M8's software felt the best of any non-Nexus phone. It was laid out similar to my Nexus 5 and it was the only one that came close (but not matching) the fluidity. An unmodified Nexus 5 is a sight to behold in terms of smoothness. But in any case... the G3 doesn't match that overall fluidity, but that's only noticeable if I held them side by side.... which I shopped doing due to the fact that my Nexus is getting shipped off to T-Mobile this week and using it only gives me buyers remorse. :) That was such an awesome phone.... but I'm moving on and the G3 was my choice.

I have two issues with the M8.... Unless you are taking selfies and only posting on instagram, the camera has problems. Yes, pixel counts aren't the end-all when comparing cameras, but when you put a 4MP shooter up against cams that pack 2 (Nexus 5, iPhone 5s) or 3 times (S5, G3) the detail, that deficiency is going to become a problem if you want to use the phone as your daily, out and about camera. Secondly, I don't listen to music much on my phone (and when I do, I use headphones. So speakers aren't high on my list. Yeah, they sound incredible, especially when compared to other phones. But they also take up a LOT of space. The HTC is actually TALLER than the G3 and side by side, and the M8 looked oddly dis-proportioned with a ton of room lost to bezel/speaker. The M8 is a great phone, just not a great phone for me.... If I didn't need a workable camera and speaker sound was important, that would probably be THE phone.

The S5? Well... I don't like the S5 because, well, because Samsung. Great hardware.... rest blows. From the not just locked, but encrypted bootloaders to the heavily laded-down Touchwiz interface. Samsung, you suck. Enough already.

But I have some detailed opinions over on a thread I started : Former Nexus 5 zealot's first impressions. I'm not yet on a week with the phone, so that thread is stream of consciousness.

What about the Z2? Overall smoother and more fluid than the G3, not as good as the M8 in smoothness though. Great camera,20MP, Adjustable screen colour. Design is OK,overall I'd rank it perhaps the best all round package at the moment.

PS The Nexus 5 is a really great phone. Tons of custom Roms and kernels and a great price.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
What about the Z2? Overall smoother and more fluid than the G3, not as good as the M8 in smoothness though. Great camera,20MP, Adjustable screen colour. Design is OK,overall I'd rank it perhaps the best all round package at the moment.

The Z2 in terms of build is on par with the M8 it just boils down to do you like glass or Alliminium?

Camera is Fantastic with the dedicated shutter button and app is nicely designed.

Ui is fluid and is light and very stock android with a hint of Sony Design which I like.

But the G3 is just different and in a dam good way.

I'm lucky to have them both and to pick one over the other would be hard. If I was forced to I would probably go for the Z2. But thankfully I can enjoy both :)

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The one issue I have with the Z2 isn't the phone's fault... Sony couldn't care less about the U.S. market... that has an impact

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The one issue I have with the Z2 isn't the phone's fault... Sony couldn't care less about the U.S. market... that has an impact

Not quite sure what their strategy is there tbh.

Guessing because of other huge names and their products selling well eg Apple and Samsung but that is global anyway, hmm perhaps as its a new market trying to get revenue in when heavy marketing would be involved.

I'm not exactly sure tbh but they should just bite the bullet and have faith that you would appreciate their product as its a solid device.

I do think they should open up to the American market :)

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Guessing because of other huge names and their products selling well eg Apple and Samsung but that is global anyway, hmm perhaps as its a new market trying to get revenue in when heavy marketing would be involved.

I'm not exactly sure tbh but they should just bite the bullet and have faith that you would appreciate their product as its a solid device.

I do think they should open up to the American market :)

I find Sonys upgrade policy at the moment quite mad. A new flagship every 6months? That's crazy. By the rumours it looks like the Z3 will be a Z2 but just a different shape. Crazy.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I find Sonys upgrade policy at the moment quite mad. A new flagship every 6months? That's crazy. By the rumours it looks like the Z3 will be a Z2 but just a different shape. Crazy.

Yeh I don't quite get that one either if rumours are true. But it looks like specs will remain the same but housed in a rounder frame.

Very strange indeed, why bother?

But as this is a G3 thread back on topic lol :p

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the G3 seemed like the perfect phone for me. But its just what I'm hearing about the performance hiccups makes me think that might drive me crazy. But I don't know how I'll see whether that bugs me or not without taking it home and using it for a few days. Can I get a good idea from kiosk demos?

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the G3 seemed like the perfect phone for me. But its just what I'm hearing about the performance hiccups makes me think that might drive me crazy. But I don't know how I'll see whether that bugs me or not without taking it home and using it for a few days. Can I get a good idea from kiosk demos?

Even with it's small hiccups the G3 is still the best phone currently on the market.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

They sell premium phones, yet shut out a market that buys them in droves? Odd choice. Pity... The early g3 sales numbers seem to show that people will buy a phone that doesn't say Samsung Apple.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I Agree I don't think Sony realises how many Americans really like their products. It will be interesting how their phone will sell when it gets released on Verizon.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I Agree I don't think Sony realises how many Americans really like their products. It will be interesting how their phone will sell when it gets released on Verizon.

I like sony phones. They are sexy as hell and I would buy one if only it was offered on Sprint.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I like sony phones. They are sexy as hell and I would buy one if only it was offered on Sprint.

The Z2 is one very well designed smartphone. The time now where Samsung & Apple dominance is slipping should pave way for Sony to start selling in America.

Choices are a good thing :)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The Z2 is one very well designed smartphone. The time now where Samsung & Apple dominance is slipping should pave way for Sony to start selling in America.

Choices are a good thing :)

Choice is a GREAT thing! If only it actually brought the outright prices down to an extremely affordable level. I'm talking flagships for 350-400 bucks! I don't see it happenin' for a while but one can only wish.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Choice is a GREAT thing! If only it actually brought the outright prices down to an extremely affordable level. I'm talking flagships for 350-400 bucks! I don't see it happenin' for a while but one can only wish.

Indeed with the competition clearly visible, a price war could be next.

This wouldn't be applicable to Apple though lol they would never jump on this bandwagon.

But in the Android space things may change not dramatically as you wished (unfortunately) but it may be a reduction of sorts.

Need we forget the One plus (Not widely Available though) and Chinese manufacturers now looking into the global market.

Who knows :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty