Thermal Throttle Mitigation setting question (my new T-Mobile G3 was already changed)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK, I saw yet another blog post saying that fiddling with the thermal throttle can speed up the phone a bit.. .makes sense, but could be risky if your use is the kind of things that heats up the phone. Anyhow, each one says "find the "Thermal mitigation daemon OFF" option in the list, and enable it to ON position."

So I figure I'd give it a look, just to see if it made any difference. So I go into the hidden menu.... and it's already set to the ON position.

huh?

The phone was bought new from T-Mobile and had all the little plastic protective bits all over the thing and didn't appear to be a rebox, but what's up with this? Is it something that T-Mobile has turned off, just to be different (like how they are the only one with an unlocked bootloader?)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
OK, I saw yet another blog post saying that fiddling with the thermal throttle can speed up the phone a bit.. .makes sense, but could be risky if your use is the kind of things that heats up the phone. Anyhow, each one says "find the "Thermal mitigation daemon OFF" option in the list, and enable it to ON position."

So I figure I'd give it a look, just to see if it made any difference. So I go into the hidden menu.... and it's already set to the ON position.

huh?

The phone was bought new from T-Mobile and had all the little plastic protective bits all over the thing and didn't appear to be a rebox, but what's up with this? Is it something that T-Mobile has turned off, just to be different (like how they are the only one with an unlocked bootloader?)

It could've been something Tmo turned "ON" by default. But to be honest, I think it was/is a sham. Everywhere I read said it works on all G3's (T-mo, VZW, Sprint, and AT&T) and been tested and approved on all carriers!! The only problem is that Sprint's version doesn't have the option. So how can it have been tested and approved for Sprint when the option isn't there in the menu?? It wasn't. Period.

Don't even bother yourself or stress over it. Enjoy your phone till the next update arrives! :)

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
No, you switch it "off". When it's switched "on", which it is by default, it throttles the processor when it heats up. So when gaming or doing some processor intensive task it'll reduce it's clock speed to keep it from overheating. If you switch it "off", it doesn't throttle itself, but that could cause it to overheat. I had it off for a while, and only had the device shut down automatically from heat once. But today I reflashed stock and left it on. Instead, there's another tweak - if you scroll to the bottom of the list it shows "Dynamic LCD Refresh". Turn it off and set it to run at 60 fps at all times.

LG included this dumb setting to reduce the frame rate of the LCD below 60 if it doesn't think it needs it - this is what causes the "stutter" you see in the launcher and other places. If you force it to run at 60 fps at all times, it eliminates the stutter. And I haven't noticed any detriment so far - doesn't seem to heat the phone up any more or anything.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll give that a look, thanks. Guessing with the framerate fixed, there might be an impact on the battery, but whatever, that's why I have chargers. 😃

pmcnei11

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I'll give that a look, thanks. Guessing with the framerate fixed, there might be an impact on the battery, but whatever, that's why I have chargers. 😃

Framerate will affect battery and heat. The extra heat will cause more throttling and affect performance so is it really worth it/

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Framerate will affect battery and heat. The extra heat will cause more throttling and affect performance so is it really worth it/
We'll soon see... I haven't had any heating issues, so if now I start getting some, I'll know the answer to your question.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I just changed my FPS to force 60. Haven't noticed much of a change, but then again I haven't really noticed any lag.

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
well when I go into the menu and I disable and I put it at 60 frames and I shut down the phone it automatically defults back to enable and 30 .. how do I keep it at 60 without going back to 30 frames

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I can disable n put it at 60 n exit the menu screen n it stays but when I reboot it defaults back to disable im at ATT n running art it did let me put thermal off though

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
No, you switch it "off". When it's switched "on", which it is by default, it throttles the processor when it heats up. So when gaming or doing some processor intensive task it'll reduce it's clock speed to keep it from overheating. If you switch it "off", it doesn't throttle itself, but that could cause it to overheat. I had iti off for a while, and only had the device shut down automatically from heat once. But today I reflashed stock and left it on. Instead, there's another tweak - if you scroll to the bottom of the list it shows "Dynamic LCD Refresh". Turn it off and set it to run at 60 fps at all times.

LG included this dumb setting to reduce the frame rate of the LCD below 60 if it doesn't think it needs it - this is what causes the "stutter" you see in the launcher and other places. If you force it to run at 60 fps at all times, it eliminates the stutter. And I haven't noticed any detriment so far - doesn't seem to heat the phone up any more or anything.

No its off by default. Atleast through AT&T.. Everyone says ur supposed to flip it on.. I know there's another option about tempeture that one is also off n ur supposed to also turn on to limit ur phone from lowering brightness down automatically when ur phone reaches a certain tempeture

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Posts171 Posts
Fixing Lag Issues

Step 1: Open the phone app on your LG G3 and enter the following code that corresponds to your the variant of your phone.

European International Version: 3845#*855#

T-Mobile: 3845#*851#

AT&T: 3845#*850#

Sprint: 5689#*990#

Step-2: After scrolling down a little, you will find ‘High Temperature Property OFF’ option.

Step-3: Choose it and then change it to ON.

Step-4: Once done, switch off your LG G3.

Step-5: Wait for nearly 10 seconds then power it back up

Step-6: Enjoy a lag free LG G3.

How to speed up your LG G3

Step-1: Open the phone app on your LG G3 and enter the code which corresponds to the variant of your device. Same as above.

Step-2: Scroll down until you see the ‘Thermal Daemon Mitigation OFF’ option.

Step-3: Select it and then switch it on.

Step-4: Turn off your LG G3 and then wait for nearly 30 seconds.

Step-5: Power your phone back on and wait for the lock screen to come up.

Step-6: Unlock your phone once the lock screen appears

Step-7: Wait for nearly a minute so that your phone finishes syncing.

One thing to keep in mind is that once you enable Thermal DAE, adaptive brightness will cease to function.

Let us know if you have an LG G3 and decide to use these tweaks, and how they work out.

Has anyone tried these tweaks ....