Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Should I root?

    Hi
    I got the LG g3 and really love the phone. The screen size is great the phone works great. I'm really impressed.
    The only thing I'm not so thrilled about is the battery life. I was hoping it would have been longer lasting. I was on YouTube and I saw a video how to significantly improve battery on the g3 and basically there is an app that would allow you to lower the resolution together 1080p the only thing is that the app requires root. Nowadays there are all of these 1 touch root applications but I'm a little nervous as I've never rooted any of my previous androids. What do I lose if I root and is there an easy way to unroot if I want to go back to original or need to get warranty service through Verizon?
    Would appreciate your advice.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    24,159 Posts
    Global Posts
    24,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Perhaps some articles to help you make up your mind:

    Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

    There is no magic in root | Android Central

    You will lose any ability to accept an OTA update. Rooting does void your OS warranty.

    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    VW Maverick's Avatar

    Posts
    2,974 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus 6 w/5.1 & LED.

    Default Re: Should I root?

    What he said.^

    Mav.

    Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Could you link this resolution app? I am curious about how that even works.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    It's an app in the play store called resolution changer

    Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Yes most one click roots have unroot buttons as well. and they are easy so its is kinda a win-win since G3 is basicly unbrickable. so if you want to root then do it!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slashyou View Post
    Yes most one click roots have unroot buttons as well. and they are easy so its is kinda a win-win since G3 is basicly unbrickable. so if you want to root then do it!
    How is it unbreakable? Rooting is rooting and always runs a risk.. The G3 isn't protected from bad things potentially happening.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    How is it unbreakable? Rooting is rooting and always runs a risk.. The G3 isn't protected from bad things potentially happening.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sorry but i mean its less likely to brick then something like samsungs or htcs since the bootloader isn,t as protected and hard to brick.
  9. #9  
    Cmatt1971's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Bad things can happen with any device when it comes to rooting and unrooting.

    As far as I know there is no one click unroot for the g3, it requires using LG flash tool to return to stock. I unrooted mine with this method.

    Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmatt1971 View Post
    Bad things can happen with any device when it comes to rooting and unrooting.

    As far as I know there is no one click unroot for the g3, it requires using LG flash tool to return to stock. I unrooted mine with this method.

    Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
    Theres no one click root for g3????

    Well i dont have one so IDK all i know most one click roots have unroot as well.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slashyou View Post
    Theres no one click root for g3????

    Well i dont have one so IDK all i know most one click roots have unroot as well.
    The G3's root method (IOROOT) is basically "one-click" after downloading the files and hooking it up to your pc with a cable. There's nothing fancy you have to do. A grade school child could follow the simple rooting method for this phone, IMO.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Thanks for the info. Would the "unroot" be as simple?
    Thanks in advance for your input!

    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    The G3's root method (IOROOT) is basically "one-click" after downloading the files and hooking it up to your pc with a cable. There's nothing fancy you have to do. A grade school child could follow the simple rooting method for this phone, IMO.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Oh ok dont have a g3 ;( my only android is my galaxy nexus.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Yea i guess it will
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    just root it!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    Thanks for the info. Would the "unroot" be as simple?
    Thanks in advance for your input!
    Slightly more complicated, but nothing very difficult to do.

    [GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC… | LG G3 | XDA Forum
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgindi26 View Post
    Hi
    I got the LG g3 and really love the phone. The screen size is great the phone works great. I'm really impressed.
    The only thing I'm not so thrilled about is the battery life. I was hoping it would have been longer lasting. I was on YouTube and I saw a video how to significantly improve battery on the g3 and basically there is an app that would allow you to lower the resolution together 1080p the only thing is that the app requires root. Nowadays there are all of these 1 touch root applications but I'm a little nervous as I've never rooted any of my previous androids. What do I lose if I root and is there an easy way to unroot if I want to go back to original or need to get warranty service through Verizon?
    Would appreciate your advice.

    Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app
    The 1080p thing does not increase battery life. you still need to draw all the pixels and in that case you need to interpolate to get it to look correct.
    Don't believe the hype.

    The battery life is fine depending on what you do.
    Rooting is a different issue.
    I root all my phones to enable tethering and to stop updates until I want them.
  18. #18  
    Cmatt1971's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    Slightly more complicated, but nothing very difficult to do.

    [GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC… | LG G3 | XDA Forum
    I missed that method when I unrooted mine, looks a little easier than the method I used.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-...lg-g3-t2820827


    Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
  19. #19  
    drjoop's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

    Default Re: Should I root?

    The short answer is no. Sometimes it's unclear specifically which versions of drivers and software are correct. I rooted my G3 using the stump root (brute force) as the Verizon version does not have an unlocked bootloader. It's much easier to do these things when your bootloader is unlocked. I'm a Mac user and I found out that I could not restore my phone using a Mac. The only PC I had at home is running Vista... and there were some issues with that. Anyway it may not be as simple as it looks but yes it can be done. Oh and I would definitely not recommended using the stump root method for your g3. After using stump root, my phone was constantly shutting off randomly and overheating so I definitely would not recommend it. I have rooted two G1's, a Nexus One, and jailbroke and unlocked two iPhones... Getting my G3 back to stock was more time consuming than any of those. The advantage of having root is basically more options. However it also is easier to accidentally screw something up and have to start over... make sure you have going back out and know how to get your phone back. Struggling through the things the first couple of times is a very good way to learn. I am assuming since you're on this farm that you have some basic knowledge. Which probably should be enough to get you started
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Should I root?

    Don't know why you would root. My battery life is brilliant. Been watching live sport, emailing, really heavy usage. 7am charged, now 15.38, still 57% left on my battery. I wouldn't chance root because chance of bricking it.

    Posted via the Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. i need rooting code for my motorla blur att
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2015, 11:58 AM
  2. Rooting
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM
  3. HTC Sync Manager won't recognize my phone after rooting.
    By Wilguens Joachin in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 01:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions