Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I root?

Hi
    I got the LG g3 and really love the phone. The screen size is great the phone works great. I'm really impressed.
    The only thing I'm not so thrilled about is the battery life. I was hoping it would have been longer lasting. I was on YouTube and I saw a video how to significantly improve battery on the g3 and basically there is an app that would allow you to lower the resolution together 1080p the only thing is that the app requires root. Nowadays there are all of these 1 touch root applications but I'm a little nervous as I've never rooted any of my previous androids. What do I lose if I root and is there an easy way to unroot if I want to go back to original or need to get warranty service through Verizon?
    Would appreciate your advice.

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    24,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Should I root?

Perhaps some articles to help you make up your mind:

Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

There is no magic in root | Android Central

You will lose any ability to accept an OTA update. Rooting does void your OS warranty.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Nexus 6 w/5.1 & LED.

What he said.^

Mav.

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Could you link this resolution app? I am curious about how that even works.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's an app in the play store called resolution changer

Yes most one click roots have unroot buttons as well. and they are easy so its is kinda a win-win since G3 is basicly unbrickable. so if you want to root then do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slashyou View Post
    Yes most one click roots have unroot buttons as well. and they are easy so its is kinda a win-win since G3 is basicly unbrickable. so if you want to root then do it!
    How is it unbreakable? Rooting is rooting and always runs a risk.. The G3 isn't protected from bad things potentially happening.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    How is it unbreakable? Rooting is rooting and always runs a risk.. The G3 isn't protected from bad things potentially happening.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sorry but i mean its less likely to brick then something like samsungs or htcs since the bootloader isn,t as protected and hard to brick.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bad things can happen with any device when it comes to rooting and unrooting.

As far as I know there is no one click unroot for the g3, it requires using LG flash tool to return to stock. I unrooted mine with this method.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cmatt1971 View Post
    Bad things can happen with any device when it comes to rooting and unrooting.

As far as I know there is no one click unroot for the g3, it requires using LG flash tool to return to stock. I unrooted mine with this method.

Theres no one click root for g3????

Well i dont have one so IDK all i know most one click roots have unroot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashyou View Post
    Theres no one click root for g3????

Well i dont have one so IDK all i know most one click roots have unroot as well.
    The G3's root method (IOROOT) is basically "one-click" after downloading the files and hooking it up to your pc with a cable. There's nothing fancy you have to do. A grade school child could follow the simple rooting method for this phone, IMO.

Thanks for the info. Would the "unroot" be as simple?
    Thanks in advance for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    The G3's root method (IOROOT) is basically "one-click" after downloading the files and hooking it up to your pc with a cable. There's nothing fancy you have to do. A grade school child could follow the simple rooting method for this phone, IMO.

Oh ok dont have a g3 ;( my only android is my galaxy nexus.

Yea i guess it will

just root it!

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    Thanks for the info. Would the "unroot" be as simple?
    Thanks in advance for your input!
    Slightly more complicated, but nothing very difficult to do.

[GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC… | LG G3 | XDA Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mgindi26 View Post
    Hi
    I got the LG g3 and really love the phone. The screen size is great the phone works great. I'm really impressed.
    The only thing I'm not so thrilled about is the battery life. I was hoping it would have been longer lasting. I was on YouTube and I saw a video how to significantly improve battery on the g3 and basically there is an app that would allow you to lower the resolution together 1080p the only thing is that the app requires root. Nowadays there are all of these 1 touch root applications but I'm a little nervous as I've never rooted any of my previous androids. What do I lose if I root and is there an easy way to unroot if I want to go back to original or need to get warranty service through Verizon?
    Would appreciate your advice.

The 1080p thing does not increase battery life. you still need to draw all the pixels and in that case you need to interpolate to get it to look correct.
    Don't believe the hype.

The battery life is fine depending on what you do.
    Rooting is a different issue.
    I root all my phones to enable tethering and to stop updates until I want them.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    Slightly more complicated, but nothing very difficult to do.

[GUIDE] Unroot for OTA using LG PC Suite (PC… | LG G3 | XDA Forum
    I missed that method when I unrooted mine, looks a little easier than the method I used.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-...lg-g3-t2820827

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

The short answer is no. Sometimes it's unclear specifically which versions of drivers and software are correct. I rooted my G3 using the stump root (brute force) as the Verizon version does not have an unlocked bootloader. It's much easier to do these things when your bootloader is unlocked. I'm a Mac user and I found out that I could not restore my phone using a Mac. The only PC I had at home is running Vista... and there were some issues with that. Anyway it may not be as simple as it looks but yes it can be done. Oh and I would definitely not recommended using the stump root method for your g3. After using stump root, my phone was constantly shutting off randomly and overheating so I definitely would not recommend it. I have rooted two G1's, a Nexus One, and jailbroke and unlocked two iPhones... Getting my G3 back to stock was more time consuming than any of those. The advantage of having root is basically more options. However it also is easier to accidentally screw something up and have to start over... make sure you have going back out and know how to get your phone back. Struggling through the things the first couple of times is a very good way to learn. I am assuming since you're on this farm that you have some basic knowledge. Which probably should be enough to get you started
    Thanked by:

Don't know why you would root. My battery life is brilliant. Been watching live sport, emailing, really heavy usage. 7am charged, now 15.38, still 57% left on my battery. I wouldn't chance root because chance of bricking it.

Posted via the Android Central App