Why doesn't my LG G3 pick up the strongest WiFi signal?

Pieter Keirsgieter

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
LG G3 does not pick up strongest WiFi signal

I have a wireless router downstairs and an access point upstairs (both withe the same SSID)

The problem is that my phone does not pick up the strongest signal.
Each time i have to disconnect the Wifi on my phone, after connecting the Wifi again it picks up the strongest signal.

Any solutions for this issue?

Thanks!

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G3 does not pick up strongest WiFi signal

Two Disclaimers: 1) It is my understanding that devices don't look for the strongest wifi signal unless they have a reason to (so they will stay connected to the current SSID until a certain signal threshold is reached), and 2) while I do have multiple router/AP's in the house, they don't have the same SSID, so I may be guessing here.

With those disclaimers in mind, what might fit the bill is a free app called "WiFi Prioritizer". In my case, I use it to set the order of my preferred networks (which again, have different SSID's), HOWEVER, I can set a signal threshold for which if the signal drops below a certain level OR if there is a signal available which is better than a certain level, the device will switch AP's. You can also set how often to make these checks.

Now I'm thinking that in the case of having multiple AP's with the same SSID, if the signal threshold drops below a level you specify, it may rescan and look for a better one (ideally, the stronger AP; on the assumption that the current AP's signal is weaker because it's farther away than the stronger one). I am not so certain if in the case of the device detecting a stronger signal than the current AP, if it is 'smart enough' to know that the current AP is not the same AP as the stronger one (i.e., will it rescan and choose the stronger one?) when the SSID is the same for the stronger and the current AP's..

In any event, the app is free -- you may have to experiment with the signal thresholds for when the current AP drops below a certain level and for when a stronger AP signal than current is available, and the timing interval (more often probably means more battery use, and not often enough probably means you are not always connected to the strongest -- if this works as I think it would, that is). Give it a go and let us know.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=org.za.flash.wifiprioritizer&token=rh-wHwT-

Last edited:

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Nice tip. I had the same issue at my workplace--same SSD, diff APs--and the G3 hung on for dear life to the original AP until I had no data connection. My Nexus 4 never had any problem. May try this.

Pieter Keirsgieter

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Thank for the suggestion!
I have installed the app, trying to get the best result, i'm still figuring out how to get the best result.

I'll keep you posted.
Pieter
Pieter

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

The approach I would take would be to install another free app, called Wifi Analyzer.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&token=2rqJx3--

This excellent app has a 'gieger counter' like meter (both visual and audio) with which you can walk around the house, connected first to AP "A" and then repeat the process with AP "B" (you'll of course have to differentiate by mac address, or pick the strongest one by being next to the desired AP when you start this process). The meter shows the signal strength in dbm on an old school analog partial-dial display.

I'd jot down the various readings at the same points in the house for AP "A" and AP "B". Somewhere between the two, there will be an overlap area where the signals are about the same or close. Within the outer edges of the overlap area I think is where you'd like to switch AP's. Make note of BOTH the dbm of the farther AP (for the "when-signal-drops-below" setting) and the dbm of the close AP (for the "when-stronger-signal-is-available" setting) at the same physical spot.

For example, on a straight line (no upstairs/downstairs), assuming that AP "A" is in the living room, and AP "B" is in the kitchen; and the two are connected via the dining room... the dining room side closest to the living room has a stronger reading for AP "A" than AP "B", and conversely, the dining room side closest to the kitchen will have a stronger reading for AP "B" than AP "A". Those edges of the dining room are where you want the changeover to take place. So choose one of those dining room edges and note the dbm for AP "A" to use for the 'stronger signal available' setting, and at that same edge of the dining room, also note the dbm for AP "B" to use for the 'look for a stronger signal' setting. I'd add a few dbm leeway, but up to you.

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer, just an ordinary schmoe; I'm just outlining the approach I'd take to try to solve the issue of using the strongest AP when the SSID is the same for more than one AP. I don't have a clue about how dbm works but generally, the lower number the better and can't get much better than -40 even if standing next to the AP, and over -90 dbm (or less than -90 dbm depending on how you look at negative numbers, hehe) is not so good.

Or, you can just punch in -85 for the look-for-a-better-signal number and -60 for a switch-if-better-signal-available number; and wing it. All that said, there is nothing to say that you HAVE TO use both those triggers, as it can be confusing -- so as a start point, use -85 dbm for your 'look-for-stronger-signal-if-dbm-drops-below' number, and scan every 5 minutes; and just disregard the other 'check-for-stronger-signal-at' setting.

Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall