Saved IP Addresses being forgotten

joebro391

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a Samsung Tab A (2020) that I use to connect to a series of custom deployed systems via WiFi. Each deployed system has its own WiFi module that acts as an Access Point for the tablet to connect to. When connecting to a deployed device for the first time, I go to the WiFi menus on the tablet and click on "Add Network", add a name, then set the IP Setting to static, manually enter the IP address, gateway, etc... I am then able to connect to the device and communicate properly.

The issues arrises when I disconnect from a deployed system and then later attempt to reconnect to it. The tablet will always automatically connect to whichever added device's signal strength is strongest. If I attempt to connect to the device by clicking on it in the WiFi networks list, the tablet seemingly clears the IP address and I am unable to connect to my deployed device. When that happens, I need to manually re-enter all of the WiFi information for that particular deployed system. This does not happen when I am reconnecting to a normal network router.

My question is: Is there a setting in Android to prevent this wiping of the IP addresses when I press them?

Best,
Joe

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
On your tablet under WiFi>upper right corner tap>tap intelligent Wi-Fi do u see these options? Can toggle off switch to better WiFi signal
a61fd3eb2ed1e64525e4730b7eaa4759.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
On your tablet under WiFi>upper right corner tap>tap intelligent Wi-Fi do u see these options? Can toggle off switch to better WiFi signal

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The IP address is ultimately decided by the host device (router, for example) not the client device(a phone, for example). If you really want a static IP you would have to set this up in the host not your phone.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

joebro391

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Thank you so much for your reply. I do not seem to have "intelligent WiFi" as a setting on this tablet. I just double-checked the firmware version to confirm my claim. Was intelligent WiFi added on a later Android Version?

Reactions: mustang7757

joebro391

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
The IP address is ultimately decided by the host device (router, for example) not the client device(a phone, for example). If you really want a static IP you would have to set this up in the host not your phone.
Sure, I believe I understand what you're saying, however, while setting the WiFi setting to "static" on the tablet might be moot, it's still the tablet that's forgetting the IP address. And that's what I want to prevent

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sure, I believe I understand what you're saying, however, while setting the WiFi setting to "static" on the tablet might be moot, it's still the tablet that's forgetting the IP address. And that's what I want to prevent
The network changes its IP address. The tablet isn't forgetting anything. The tablet just doesn't know to connect to a different IP address when it changes.

Reactions: J Dubbs

joebro391

Jan 16, 2024
Visit site
The network changes its IP address. The tablet isn't forgetting anything. The tablet just doesn't know to connect to a different IP address when it changes.
The network is changing which IP address? The tablet? Does it matter if the tablet's IP address is changing?

The tablet is forgetting the IP address of the AP that we had manually entered when we click on the device that we wish to reconnect to.

The IP of the device we're connecting to does NOT change. Remember, the tablet is connecting to a WiFi module that is in an AP mode. The device we're connecting to has a static IP (it's actually a address range, something like .20/255 iirc. That may or may not be important). The WiFi module is connected to a controller board that allows us to issue GPIO commands from the tablet via a proprietary App.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply. I do not seem to have "intelligent WiFi" as a setting on this tablet. I just double-checked the firmware version to confirm my claim. Was intelligent WiFi added on a later Android Version?
I'm not sure about tablets but on the phone it has been awhile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000