Quick Charge is there, after all!

Steeltooth493

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It's great that it has quick charge now, but how will that work? Will you have to buy a separate charger or anything, or will LG include quick chargers straight out of the box? Does this change also add native Qi charging as well?

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You may be a fanboy but you are not the blind fanboy I should have mentioned. The frustrating ones are the ones who can't admit Samsung has ever done anything wrong or any other phone is better in any aspect ever.

Posted on my Moto X that is prob being charged as we speak...

aka Richard Yarell

Posted via the Android Central App

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It's great that it has quick charge now, but how will that work? Will you have to buy a separate charger or anything, or will LG include quick chargers straight out of the box? Does this change also add native Qi charging as well?

The charger that's in the box is 1.8v and not 2.0v like the QC chargers so you'll probably have to buy it separately.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about the charger, especially since the US version isn't shipping yet and they might change the chargers at least from now on. As for Qi charging, that's a hardware issue, it's not a 'switch' they can turn on and off in their software, so nope, that one is not possible unless they add the coils for it from the start.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Some markets might get QC 2.0 chargers but I wouldn't expect it. You can get good QC 2.0 chargers for $15-25 on Amazon.

No, this doesn't add out of the box Qi wireless charging. However, the LG quick circle case supports wireless charging and I'm sure there will be third party wireless charging back covers and stickers.

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about the charger, especially since the US version isn't shipping yet and they might change the chargers at least from now on. As for Qi charging, that's a hardware issue, it's not a 'switch' they can turn on and off in their software, so nope, that one is not possible unless they add the coils for it from the start.

Or buy a 3rd party conversion kit like the G3 had that cost 10 bucks...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes!

Like I needed any more reasons to buy this phone.

I don't do wireless charging, was never a fan of it, but I do like the quick charge feature of the S6. Glad to hear it's in the G4.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is how none of these early reviews caught this. LG didn't magically send out an update to everyone. This capability was built in, and not communicated correctly. So how did NO ONE with an early unit not even make an attempt at charging it with a QC charger? Surely some of these reviewers have one. Heck, I have 4 QC chargers just for myself.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What I don't understand is how none of these early reviews caught this. LG didn't magically send out an update to everyone. This capability was built in, and not communicated correctly. So how did NO ONE with an early unit not even make an attempt at charging it with a QC charger? Surely some of these reviewers have one. Heck, I have 4 QC chargers just for myself.

Who cares? It's got it and that's all that really matters. Why make a federal case out of it..... The reviewers went with what they were told, and they were told wrong.... Sheese

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

AngrySK

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Just like the removable batteries and SD card being gone were deal breakers for the S6 the QC was the deal breaker for the G4... I say that in a sarcastic way. Neither stops the average phone buyer.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Who cares? It's got it and that's all that really matters. Why make a federal case out of it..... The reviewers went with what they were told, and they were told wrong.... Sheesh

Who's cares? I care, so that's all that matters. If you don't, good for you.

Multiple reviewers said they tried using other chargers with the g4 and got a "this phone will charge faster with the proper charger" or something similar. So some reviewers were obviously looking at the charging rate, which lead to my question before. It's very odd this was missed.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It is nice to have QC. But for me that feature alone, if it did not have would not be a deal breaker . :)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think most of us have been Samsung followers at some point, lol.

Samsung makes a fantastic device no doubt but LG is also doing great things with its flagship device and they should be well regarded right up there along with Samsung I feel right now. 2 companies with 2 fantastic devices for consumer consumption! Great time to be an Android enthusiast!

Speak for yourself. I am not a Sammy fanboy. Not at all.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad they added it. Although for me it wasn't really a deal breaker if it wasn't there. The G4 should be able to match my M8 for battery life, and I can easily make 30-40% remaining at the end of my day.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Who's cares? I care, so that's all that matters. If you don't, good for you.

Multiple reviewers said they tried using other chargers with the g4 and got a "this phone will charge faster with the proper charger" or something similar. So some reviewers were obviously looking at the charging rate, which lead to my question before. It's very odd this was missed.

I don't find it odd at all... Most reviewers were using what charger was given them on the test phone they got. Most wasn't going to use a different charger and they said what they got was a 1.8 MA charger...

The problem is... as with any review on pre-production equipment... what is finally sold to the public is usually different.

It seems to me that most people jumped the gun on this or that LG decided that they would indeed ship with the fast charging after hearing back on the complaints about it.... Either way it's not a big deal because the bottom line is it will have it.

Now if you went out and bought a different phone because of this... that's a shame, but should be a lesson learned that one should wait until the actual phone is out and read about what is actually available for you to buy before deciding what to spend your money on.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress