Wake lock detector works on the G4 (no root required)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon G4 and was able to get wake lock detector to work without root. Adb is required. I installed the drivers that were available when first plugging in the phone. Then enabled developer options and usb debugging and mock connections. Other than that you can follow the instructions linked to in the wake lock detector app page.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&token=55_0O8Ek

uploadfromtaptalk1434298451946.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434298386142.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434298430775.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434298439674.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to add... After typing in adb tcpip 5555,I had to go to my computer and click on the Verizon installer icon then my g4 would show up. You can then continue with the adb kill-server on the phone.

Also be sure to charge it above 90% and let it run below 90% before running wakelock Detector. Otherwise the stats will reset once you plug in the phone to the computer

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I followed the directions, and it was working. I plugged my G4 in to retain the charge at 100% until the morning. When I woke up I unplugged it and began going about my daily activities. About 2 or 3 hours later I thought I'd check wake lock detector to see what it indicated to find it showing the permissions changed message again. Why didn't it remain working?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I followed the directions, and it was working. I plugged my G4 in to retain the charge at 100% until the morning. When I woke up I unplugged it and began going about my daily activities. About 2 or 3 hours later I thought I'd check wake lock detector to see what it indicated to find it showing the permissions changed message again. Why didn't it remain working?
You have to plug it into the computer and run the commands again

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
You have to plug it into the computer and run the commands again

Ah I think I understand now. I need to fully charge the G4, then connect it to the computer, run the commands, then unplug it from the pc, run the commands on the G4 in terminal and don't plug it back into anything so it remains working for a full cycle (I like to plug it in when it is down to about 20-25% at most to charge to full again).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah I think I understand now. I need to fully charge the G4, then connect it to the computer, run the commands, then unplug it from the pc, run the commands on the G4 in terminal and don't plug it back into anything so it remains working for a full cycle (I like to plug it in when it is down to about 20-25% at most to charge to full again).
You don't need to plug in the phone to the computer when you fully charge it. Just when it is used and must drop below 90%.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to plug in the phone to the computer when you fully charge it. Just when it is used and must drop below 90%.

I'm not sure then I understand how it can show the wake locks then, as it appears to me it starts the data as soon as it is plugged in. I never used this app before. So maybe I'm doing something wrong. With that in mind let me ask if this is the correct way I should be doing it --- Charge G4 up over night, go about my day as normal, and at night plug G4 into the PC USB, do the commands on the PC, leave G4 plugged into the USB, do the commands on the G4, leave G4 plugged into the PC USB, and open wake lock detector to see the days results of stuff that is waking and keeping awake my G4?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure then I understand how it can show the wake locks then, as it appears to me it starts the data as soon as it is plugged in. I never used this app before. So maybe I'm doing something wrong. With that in mind let me ask if this is the correct way I should be doing it --- Charge G4 up over night, go about my day as normal, and at night plug G4 into the PC USB, do the commands on the PC, leave G4 plugged into the USB, do the commands on the G4, leave G4 plugged into the PC USB, and open wake lock detector to see the days results of stuff that is waking and keeping awake my G4?
For checking wake locks, I would recommend charging the phone over 90%,then let it idle overnight or for several hours. Once it is at least 89%or less, plug into the computer and run the adb commands.

It will not work if the phone is over 90% when plugged in.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was finally able to get this to work for me!

I had run the app on my recently rooted LG G Pad 8.3. Nothing was awful but my local news app. It had more than 800 wakeup triggers while the next highest app (my e-mail app I think) had 100. I uninstalled the news app from the tablet and the G4 (figuring it was probably not just misbehaving on the tablet).

Now, with the Detector stats available on the G4, I don't see anything that jumps out to me as alarming...but I am admittedly a novice with this particular thing. Anyone see any causes for concern (note in the last screenshot that I don't think I've actively used the Amazon app at all today...)?

Screenshot_2015-07-14-16-53-33.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-14-16-53-45.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-14-16-54-02.jpg

Thanks.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
this is what I had yesterday. Now that I have using it figured out. I didn't realize there were settings in the apps I needed to change. Advanced mode was not checked and statistics since unplugged was checked and so it only showed user installed apps and only since I plugged it into the PC to run the commands. At least that is what I think was happening because there would only be 3 or 4 things in each list with almost no stats at all. This screenshot is with Advanced mode checked and statistics since unplugged not checked. Please let me know if I am mistaken on the settings. As I need to only know stats from the day. I charge to full over night, reboot it when I wake up, then unplugged it from the charger and go about my day. At the end of the day I assess the situation to figure out what is wasting my battery. So far I am very frustrated. Because if I configured WLD correctly I got my work cut out for me on figuring out the causes as you can see by the screenshot. Things aren't adding up to me when I look at all the other tools at my disposal and this. Home depot went rogue I think same with mobile performance meter. I have to look at today's data to compare to the rest of the data I've been collecting for about a week now.

wakelock.png

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was finally able to get this to work for me!

I had run the app on my recently rooted LG G Pad 8.3. Nothing was awful but my local news app. It had more than 800 wakeup triggers while the next highest app (my e-mail app I think) had 100. I uninstalled the news app from the tablet and the G4 (figuring it was probably not just misbehaving on the tablet).

Now, with the Detector stats available on the G4, I don't see anything that jumps out to me as alarming...but I am admittedly a novice with this particular thing. Anyone see any causes for concern (note in the last screenshot that I don't think I've actively used the Amazon app at all today...)?

View attachment 186696
View attachment 186697
View attachment 186698

Thanks.
Some apps will automatically start at startup even if you don't open the app. The amazon app is one of them. I believe it does this so that it can notify you of shipped or delivered items, wait list and things like that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
this is what I had yesterday. Now that I have using it figured out. I didn't realize there were settings in the apps I needed to change. Advanced mode was not checked and statistics since unplugged was checked and so it only showed user installed apps and only since I plugged it into the PC to run the commands. At least that is what I think was happening because there would only be 3 or 4 things in each list with almost no stats at all. This screenshot is with Advanced mode checked and statistics since unplugged not checked. Please let me know if I am mistaken on the settings. As I need to only know stats from the day. I charge to full over night, reboot it when I wake up, then unplugged it from the charger and go about my day. At the end of the day I assess the situation to figure out what is wasting my battery. So far I am very frustrated. Because if I configured WLD correctly I got my work cut out for me on figuring out the causes as you can see by the screenshot. Things aren't adding up to me when I look at all the other tools at my disposal and this. Home depot went rogue I think same with mobile performance meter. I have to look at today's data to compare to the rest of the data I've been collecting for about a week now.

View attachment 186800
Well wld is a troubleshooting tool. It isn't going to tell you exactly what is wrong. And sometimes the problem isn't exactly the the app that shows as the highest usage. For example, an app can misbehave and ask for location a lot from Google play services . This can cause Google play services to show high usage.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well wld is a troubleshooting tool. It isn't going to tell you exactly what is wrong. And sometimes the problem isn't exactly the the app that shows as the highest usage. For example, an app can misbehave and ask for location a lot from Google play services . This can cause Google play services to show high usage.

Yep that is where I'm at now. I have removed the home depot at and mobile performance meter. MPM wasn't as draining as home depot was for misbehaving. I gained 4 hours extra hours of idle moving me from 12 hours on a full charge to 16 hours on a full charge. This is my first day with MPM uninstalled but I'm not quite to the data collecting point for today. So I can't confirm any gain from it's removal. I still have stuff to identify that are keeping my G4 awake. I've gone from 50% deep sleep to 65% deep sleep. I still have 3 hours of wake time unaccounted for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer