Google Pay Detecting Root on Non-Rooted Phone

McGlynn922

Dec 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi, hoping someone can help here!

I have purchased an "Opened / Never Used" Unlocked Samsung S10 from eBay: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...639706028%3Fvar%3D622972838773&token=i0sDdULo

The phone has never been rooted by myself, and from what I can tell it hasn't been rooted by the seller either.

I cannot access some features of the phone, e.g. Google Pay / Samsung Pass due to root detection. However some other apps do work e.g Santander Banking App, Tesco Bank.

I've tried many different things so these apps don't detect that the phone has been rooted / modified but at this point I'm not sure what else I can check. So far I have:

1. Factory Reset the phone multiple times.
  2. Deleted temporary data / cache data from the apps in question.
  3. Deleted temporary data / cache data from Google Play and Google Play Services.
  4. Confirmed the Phone Status = "Official" under Settings > About Phone > Status.
  5. Disabled OEM Unlocking under Developer Options. I've also enabled and re-disabled it again.
  6. Confirmed the Knox Status is 0x0.
  7. Confirmed that the Play Protect status in the Google Play Store is valid.
  8. Downloaded "Root Checker" apps that verify the phone is in fact, not rooted.

After all the above I still get a message indicating that the phone has been rooted / modified in some way.

The only thing I have to go on right now is the RootBeer Sample app, its purpose is to check different aspects of the phone for root detection. Everything from this app indicates that the phone is NOT rooted, except the 'SE Linux Flag Is Enabled' check, which is detecting that the phone may be rooted / modified.

I've done some research into this flag and it appears that for a non-rooted phone it should be set as Enforced Mode. Again, from checking Settings > About Phone > Software information > SE for Android status - I can see that it appears to be set as enforced mode.

"Enforcing
SEPF_SM-G973F_10_0020
Fri Aug 28 16:56:50 2020"

At this point I'm running out of options, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to resolve this or help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Very simple way
Go to settings>about phone>status info >should say official.

Next go into download mode knox 0x0

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, hoping someone can help here!

At this point I'm running out of options, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to resolve this or help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Did you yourself personally verify via Download mode that Knox shows as 0x0? Or did you use an app to check?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174