Location Found

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have that installed as well, but I see the notification of Location Found pop up when I'm not using that app. Does Device Manager keep tabs on us even when we aren't actively locating a phone? If not, I think the Location Found notification is popping up for more than just DM.
Huh, not aware of DM populating this notification unless you actively locate the device.
Very odd! I've not received my G4 yet, but hoping that I don't encounter this (or you guys figure out what it is by then LOL)

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Huh, not aware of DM populating this notification unless you actively locate the device.
Very odd! I've not received my G4 yet, but hoping that I don't encounter this (or you guys figure out what it is by then LOL)

I should have mentioned that I'm on Verizon. I'm not sure if it matters, but the same thing happened on my Droid Turbo, also on Verizon (but on KitKat and a different OEM).

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That notification is from Android Device manager (at least in my case). I have that installed on my kids devices (for when they lose them around the house LOL) and whenever I us Android Device manager on my PC to have their device ring, when found that notification is always in their pull down ... Hopefully that'll help

On my G4, the location notification from Android Device Manager is "Device Located" not "Location Found".

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
yup at the notification bar. I went to see if it was draining my battery and I saw android system was kind of high so I tapped it and saw GPS was being used for an hour, and I tapped location services within that window and the only program being used was "Google App"

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I agree that it may be the DM. I opened the app and the same notification occurred. Though, when I pull my phone out and turn on the screen, I see it every so often.

I've changed the notification level to "Hide sensitive" for this specific app to see if that works. If it doesn't I'll change it to "None". I don't need a notification telling me that the device location was found, blocking other more important notifications, etc.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure that's just the normal Android checking in going on, happens on all phones but most are smart enough not to put a notification up every single time ;)

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I agree that it may be the DM. I opened the app and the same notification occurred. Though, when I pull my phone out and turn on the screen, I see it every so often.

I've changed the notification level to "Hide sensitive" for this specific app to see if that works. If it doesn't I'll change it to "None". I don't need a notification telling me that the device location was found, blocking other more important notifications, etc.

Just an update - I haven't seen anything pop up as far as searching for location, etc.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Earlier on, I had something that kept making the location notification show up and I did a lot of different stuff to try to fix the constant location searches. Eventually, I seemed to have fixed something that helped (but I wasn't very scientific about it, so I'm not exactly sure what it was). In any case, I slowly started turning on some of the location accesses that I had turned off when trying to fix the problem. Everything seemed ok and then I noticed about a week ago that I got the notification again every time I unlocked my device. It wasn't really draining the battery (the location searches were very quick, only a second or so), so I tried to just let it go. Only, this time the gripe for me was that I was tired of having that stupid notification come up and shuffle around all my other notifications just because I unlocked my screen. It was quite an annoyance when all I wanted to do was look at my notifications on my lockscreen.

Today, I decided to see what all was showing up on the location request list. One was Google Play Services (it's always there) and the other was the "My TWC" app (for Time Warner Cable customers). I went into the "LG Access Lock" app and saw that "My TWC" was persistently making use of its location permission (it will say when the last time the access was made for that permission by that app, if it's alway on, it will say "running"). So, I took away its location permission. No change. Then, I force closed the "My TWC" app (figuring that maybe "LG Access Lock" change to it would only work if the app were restarted). That seems to have worked.

For others, maybe there is an app you have that is using the location service in a similar way. If you have the time, you can use the LG Access Lock app to help you find it and fix it. The quickest way is probably to see what apps most recently requested location in your Location settings, then find those apps in LG Access Lock one by one and see what they say about the last time they made a location request.

-SR-

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
A follow-up to my previous post, in case anyone cares to read it...

Aside from what I found about my Time Warner app always looking for location when I unlocked the screen, I also accidentally discovered Google Apps' contribution to the persistent "location found" notification. When I was previously troubleshooting some battery drain issues, one of the things I did was disable Google App (which also uninstalls all of the updates). Later, I enabled it and let it update itself back to the current version, but I didn't realize that I hadn't actually gone back in to run it since then. Just last night, I pulled it up to look at something and it came up to its initial start screen, which reminded me that it hadn't been run yet. Now that I have reactivated it's location-based features (something it asks if you want to do when you first run it), I see the persistent location search again. They usually seem to be triggered by phone movement (I'll see that it is already search for location when I unlock the screen). Sometimes it searches quick and goes away. Other times it will find my location, but then the notification persists, which would suggest to me that it is holding GPS location (sort of like when you run Maps). Yet, other times it will search... and search... and search for long periods of time. That usually happens when I'm in a building or somewhere that GPS lock doesn't come easily (or at all).

It seems to me that Google App has a bug that might be causing it to be to "insistent" on getting a GPS lock even when it is in a position where it cannot do so. Additionally, this is sometimes happening when location services could easily get my location by using network info (in particular, in-range WiFi networks). I know this because if I switch to battery-save location mode, the map is capable of finding my location with my office building's WiFi networks. So, in those instances, it seems that Google App is being stubborn about preferring GPS over WiFi/Network location, even when GPS isn't working out so well. That, to me, seems like a problem.

I am just dealing with it for now as long as it doesn't make the battery drain to heavy. If it gets stuck in a location-search loop and won't stop, I may be forced to turn off all of Google App's location features. That's a shame because I like using them.

-SR-

Andyland

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Just did a software update to VS98613B and still have a "Location Found" notification that I cannot even swipe away. So frustrating I would think LG would have corrected this issue by now. Seems to only be a problem on the Verizon G4.

ncall

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I believe this is how you turn it off. I have an LG V10 with Verizon. Go into 'General', click on 'Location', then click on 'Verizon Location Agent'. You can then deselect "Show notifications". Hope this helps.

ncall

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I believe this is how you turn it off. I have an LG V10 with Verizon. Go into 'General', click on 'Location', then click on 'Verizon Location Agent'. You can then deselect "Show notifications". Hope this helps.

sydseale

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the Location Found message start popping up as soon as I enabled Smart Lock by adding a trusted location. So it made sense that I was seeing that message from the lock screen, because it had to know whether it should allow unlocking without authentication. I removed the trusted location that I had added (work) and disabled my home address in the list of locations and the problem went away.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to try this. I have left location set to networks only, no GPS. That would prevent the notification from popping up and sticking. I've disabled the Verizon location agent app (not even sure what it's for) and turned GPS based location on. I'll try to remember to report back if I see it stick again.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well that was short lived. First GPS poll and the location notification sticks. Oh well, back to network location only!

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
so nobody found a solution to this problem? :( I just took my G4 out because I haven't used in a while... BAM... 5 minutes later, the darn "Location Found" notification showed up and I couldn't get rid of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87