LG G4 getting hot after update on Verizon

mbbarron

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded the Verizon update that was pushed out this morning.

After being on the phone for about 15 min, the phone got extremely hot.

Anybody else experiencing this? I have until Friday to decide if I'm keeping this phone and I'm still on the fence.

Posted via the Android Central App

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded the Verizon update that was pushed out this morning.

After being on the phone for about 15 min, the phone got extremely hot.

Anybody else experiencing this? I have until Friday to decide if I'm keeping this phone and I'm still on the fence.

Is your firmware VS98611A or is it something else?

enhill73

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd G4 and all of mine have done this. I contacted LG about and I'm going to send it off to have them fix it hopefully. Mine starts after being on the phone for about 5ish, so 15 minutes is pretty good. Battery drains quick to once it gets hot as well. Not a fan of this and I hope its something they can fix. Other than that I love the phone, just sucks we are having this issue.

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
My phone doesn't really get hot. But... Was outside this afternoon trying to catch some rays and browsing on the phone and had to turn the screen up to 100%. Within 10-15 minutes the phone got so very hot. It went into a cooling mode. At first it dimmed the screen on its own to about 90%. When I turned it back up it only lasted another 5 minutes or so then the cooling mode came on. I took the phone inside cause I thought it was going to blow up it was so hot! To be fair it is about 90 and very humid today.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone doesn't really get hot. But... Was outside this afternoon trying to catch some rays and browsing on the phone and had to turn the screen up to 100%. Within 10-15 minutes the phone got so very hot. It went into a cooling mode. At first it dimmed the screen on its own to about 90%. When I turned it back up it only lasted another 5 minutes or so then the cooling mode came on. I took the phone inside cause I thought it was going to blow up it was so hot! To be fair it is about 90 and very humid today.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have found ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/548485-results-g4-temperature-experiments.html ) that the phone battery runs up to about 15F hotter than the ambient temperature, especially if you have a lot of apps still "running" (do a clear-all every once in a while!) -- and the temperature definitely focuses on the screen... if you run CPU-Z you'll see that the screen temperature is up to perhaps another 15F hotter than the battery. So if you add 90F ambient + 15F apps running + 15F screen... you're touching perhaps a 120F screen.

Note that I'm adding this thread plus a couple of others to the Common Issues and Solutions sticky... but I don't really have solutions :(

Last edited:

Jordan Sheppard

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Try clearing the system cache. Had that issue with the old update. Also dtignite gets reenabled , disable that and cross your fingers

mbbarron

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it updated to VS98611A.

I probably did have a lot of apps running and forgot to close them all. Gotta get into the habit of doing that on a regular basis. It's only gotten "hot" one other time since then so it's doesn't seem to be a big issue.

My bigger issue is the battery life. It just "seems" inferior to my S4. I feel like I'm barely using it that much and certainly not doing things that are know to be battery draining (GPS, camera), and it's down to 30% or less by the end of the day. I just think even with the free extra battery and charger promotion that should be coming in the mail soon, I'm not sure that I want to keep a phone that doesn't have great battery life. Planning on returning it today but not sure what to switch to. Nothing out there seems to meet my list of must haves.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what your must-haves list includes. For me, I wanted an SD card and removable battery. The main G4 alternative I was looking at, therefore, was the S5. The options for current phones with those two features are mighty slim.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It took my phone three days to mellow out after the update and a few battery pulls. I'm not having any overheating issues at all. No issue what so ever really. The battery was sucking dry pretty fast but on the third day and third battery pull it went back to it's awesome 28 hour capacity.

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4

Charlie Raso

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Same is happening to me after the update a few days ago. My phone keeps getting very hot and DRAINS THE HELL OUT OF THE BATTERY! I just swapped the battery and restarted. I left the phone alone for about 45 minutes (on WIFI btw) and I came back and it was on 17% and hot. It has been going on for a few days now and it is miserable. I am attached to my charger all day and worry about my phone not making the hour commute i have to and from work. I have noticed that google play services is what the phone is saying is using the most battery. I do not understand how it is using so much. Has anyone found a solution to this? or having a similar problem?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Same is happening to me after the update a few days ago. My phone keeps getting very hot and DRAINS THE HELL OUT OF THE BATTERY! I just swapped the battery and restarted. I left the phone alone for about 45 minutes (on WIFI btw) and I came back and it was on 17% and hot. It has been going on for a few days now and it is miserable. I am attached to my charger all day and worry about my phone not making the hour commute i have to and from work. I have noticed that google play services is what the phone is saying is using the most battery. I do not understand how it is using so much. Has anyone found a solution to this? or having a similar problem?

I see that you posted 4 days ago... have things improved since then?

If not, then it's time to do some serious diagnostics, but I don't want to start writing those up till we know how you're making out.

thekoff

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Mine is vs98611A and says config version J14.LGE.VS986.0 and gets very hot specially in the upper part where the camera is but on both sides, and sometimes i plug a charger and it wont charge it just says charging but keeps on the same porcentage, i love the camera but thinking on movin to the droid turbo 2, just did a camera comparison and the lg g4 is by far better at night, the droid turbo 2 sucks big time at night photos

BigHeadedDerp

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Same exact thing is happening to my phone. I did a factory reset, a few days later the patch came (forget the day, 1st week in July. Neither help. I removed near every app. I think it has something to do with location. The phone is constantly letting me know that location has been found. Now I'm trying to use it only as device only location, not the high res one.

If anyone figures this out, please let me know. My phone worked fine for months, this has been a very sudden thing that is making the phone near unusable. I can't even keep it in my pocket because its so uncomfortably hot.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If you search back, you will probably find some good threads about the heat.

For me, the easiest workaround is to turn off the GPS when you are not actively using it.
This will also noticeably improve your battery usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non