LG G4 Problems

sdub21

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I bought an LG G4 in mid-June and while I like the phone a lot I have experienced multiple problems that make the phone borderline unusable.

1. The phone randomly turns off constantly and the only way to turn it back on is to remove the battery then reboot. Then it typically turns off and on again multiple times, the screen lags and sometimes blurs out (i.e. half the screen is just gray and blurry like an old TV on the AUX channel) and half normal and then everything crashes. Eventually the problem fixes itself after MULTIPLE reboots after the battery is removed multiple times. The problem then shows up a couple days later and I have to do the whole process again. It even does it in SAFE MODE sometimes so the problem does not really appear to be any third-party apps. I noticed that sometimes If i turn off Bluetooth this problem doesn't occur as often.

- Sometimes the phone does not even reboot after it randomly shuts off and I have to take the battery out, plug the phone into the charger until the battery sign with a "?" appears then put the battery back in and reboot and HOPE it stays on. this is absolutely unacceptable for a flagship device.

2. The camera usually crashes and does not work. I get a mesage that says "Camera unexpectedly stopped working." I can maybe take one picture then half the camera starts to turn gray and blurry until the whole screen just blacks out and the camera crashes.

3. The phone gets extremely hot even with NO APPS OPEN and then typically shuts off.

4. When i plug the phone in to charge at night it typically shuts off and doesn't turn back on until the battery is removed.

5. Exchange account (i use Mailwise) always automatically disables Sync.

Can anyone help me?? I've read threads with other issues and nothing seems as serious as these.

Finally, if I do have to do a factory reset, what is the best way to backup everything? Copy and paste to a PC or use a different method? I've tried the Cloud but that does not work so if someone can explain that too I'd appreciate it but I have no problem doing copy paste to a PC as long as I don't lose my ****.

VerizonDroidMotoX

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Best way to back everything up would be titanium backup plus root. Everything will be right as it is now after the factory reset. But my advice is if it doesn't show improvement after the reset warranty it. Sounds like you got a dud

sdub21

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I thought about doing the manufacturer's warranty I am just trying to see if I can avoid that. Does anyone have experience with LG warranty? My issue is I don't have a home phone and cannot really afford to be without a phone for any period of time so I do not want to send my phone to them and not have a phone to use.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
+1 on warranty. Battery removal is more than enough to get me to exchange the phone. This ain't no Blackberry!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought about doing the manufacturer's warranty I am just trying to see if I can avoid that. Does anyone have experience with LG warranty? My issue is I don't have a home phone and cannot really afford to be without a phone for any period of time so I do not want to send my phone to them and not have a phone to use.

If going to the store you bought it at is not an option, try your carrier. If that isn't an option, pop your sim into a prepaid phone to use while your device is shipped off.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Best way to back everything up would be titanium backup plus root. Everything will be right as it is now after the factory reset. But my advice is if it doesn't show improvement after the reset warranty it. Sounds like you got a dud

Doesn't that require root? Most users don't have that yet.

I have used the LG Backup function on the phone, to an SD card (can go to internal storage too). That's an option. Make sure you specify that everything you want is backed up! Scroll down on the page where you check what you want.

Especially if no SD card, obviously copy the backup file to your computer.

I'd probably also copy music, pictures, etc, off to the computer manually, to be safe. I also used SMS Backup and Call Logs Backup to backup those by themselves. They worked well, restoring my texts, with pictures, when Verizon's cloud backup service only restored the texts, no pics.

Enable the Google app data backup, etc, too. You can also backup your photos to the cloud with Google Photos.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Only the H815 UK region has root as of now. But anyway, LG Backup does a great job. So good that for most of us Titanium backup is no longer needed. The are several threads on LG Backup such as:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/532928-migration-g3-g4-lg-backup.html#post4563560

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought an LG G4 in mid-June and while I like the phone a lot I have experienced multiple problems that make the phone borderline unusable.

1. The phone randomly turns off constantly and the only way to turn it back on is to remove the battery then reboot. Then it typically turns off and on again multiple times, the screen lags and sometimes blurs out (i.e. half the screen is just gray and blurry like an old TV on the AUX channel) and half normal and then everything crashes. Eventually the problem fixes itself after MULTIPLE reboots after the battery is removed multiple times. The problem then shows up a couple days later and I have to do the whole process again. It even does it in SAFE MODE sometimes so the problem does not really appear to be any third-party apps. I noticed that sometimes If i turn off Bluetooth this problem doesn't occur as often.

- Sometimes the phone does not even reboot after it randomly shuts off and I have to take the battery out, plug the phone into the charger until the battery sign with a "?" appears then put the battery back in and reboot and HOPE it stays on. this is absolutely unacceptable for a flagship device.

2. The camera usually crashes and does not work. I get a mesage that says "Camera unexpectedly stopped working." I can maybe take one picture then half the camera starts to turn gray and blurry until the whole screen just blacks out and the camera crashes.

3. The phone gets extremely hot even with NO APPS OPEN and then typically shuts off.

4. When i plug the phone in to charge at night it typically shuts off and doesn't turn back on until the battery is removed.

5. Exchange account (i use Mailwise) always automatically disables Sync.

Can anyone help me?? I've read threads with other issues and nothing seems as serious as these.

Finally, if I do have to do a factory reset, what is the best way to backup everything? Copy and paste to a PC or use a different method? I've tried the Cloud but that does not work so if someone can explain that too I'd appreciate it but I have no problem doing copy paste to a PC as long as I don't lose my ****.

You likely have a dud but they'll want you to do a factory reset anyway. What model G4 and where did you purchase it?

I suggest you get a good cheap actively sold used phone from Swappa and resell it when you get your phone repaired/replaced. Moto G would be good.

roy ellis

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
For those talking about rooting this phone please read xda before advising anyone on rooting this phone. Especially when it appears that your phone is a droid. Stock answers don't always apply to new phones
Please note the reward out there for a proven exploit for root.

Posted via the Android Central App

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Use Google Photos go back up all of your photos.

Make sure contacts are synced to gmail. Contacts.Google.com

Use SMS backup and restore to upload your text messages to your Google drive.

Posted via the Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Perfect example of why there is a need for a backup device.

As others have said, backup important files and factory reset it. If that doesn't resolve your issues then you have a dud. Get it replaced or repaired. Good luck!

sdub21

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone. I will do a full backup then factory reset. Hopefully it works. I got my phone from Sprint but I don't have insurance and don't want to add it so I would have to do the manufacturer's warranty if it doesn't work. Sucks to have to pay the phone activation fee again though as well if it comes to that. Phone is barely a month old and I can't even take photos!

CIMYA89

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I was also having this problem and even after factory restoring my phone 3 times, I decided to take out my sd card and factory restored one more time. Low and behold no more rebooting for me, my sd card was corrupted.

Am100623

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Was Sprint able to resolve the issue with doing a factory reset? They did a factory reset on mine as well, and the problem is still happening where the phone randomly shuts down the freezes then shuts down then freezes...this goes on or sometimes a few hours before it will even get to my lock screen and even then I'm lucky if if doesn't shut down again.