LG G4 - Nearly 3 months on

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I've had my G4 for nearly 3 months already. Time sure flies, doesn't it?

Anyway, if you've read my impressions, you would've known that the G4 performed better than I expected. So, how does it fare after some time?

Happy to say that my impressions didn't change, and that it's still performing as well as it did on the first unboxing.

There's still very little lag, sometimes even non-existent. The screen is still one of the very best I've ever seen and the camera is still killer.

Overall look hasn't changed much. Looks as good as it did on day one.

IMG_20150820_215430.jpgIMG_20150820_215526.jpgIMG_20150820_215552.jpgIMG_20150820_215738.jpgIMG_20150820_215752.jpgIMG_20150820_215858.jpgIMG_20150820_215911.jpgIMG_20150820_215927.jpgIMG_20150820_224815.jpgIMG_20150820_224823.jpg

Also, the sound quality from the speaker is, well.....surprisingly good, considering that it's a rear-firing unit. Below are some audio samples from a 24-bit song, regular MP3, a TV show and a scene from 2 films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdNxfXnq1s&feature=youtu.be

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The G4 quickly proved to be the best Android phone of my experience when I acquired it, and so it remains. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine about the same time and it's proved to be an outstanding device. Yes you have to perform some tweaks to get it to operate the way it should, and much of that is an Android issue, not a LG. Personally I think Android has some housecleaning to do, it's getting sloppy but that's a topic for another thread.

The back buttons are a no-brainer for me, I'd hate to go back to side buttons. The size is at the outer limits of my liking but I can deal with it, any bigger and it would be a no-go. Love the replaceable battery...sealed back phone fans can spin it any way they want but this is a killer feature.

SD card is great too although cloud storage is gaining ground, in the end you gotta pay for that too though. Given the choice to have it or not, I'm taking it, sealed back phone fans won't be able to talk me out of that feature either.

The phone is fast and clean, I don't see the lag others are talking about, not sure if they're being way to picky or my phone just works the way it should. It does get hot but so did my GS3 so it seems normal to me. There's the occasional miss on the double tap to wake function but it's hardly a bother, maybe I'm more tolerant of that than others but it's just not an issue to me.

The camera is excellent but many phones have good cameras these days so that's not a unique feature, the manual mode is a nice choice though.

I ditched the LG UI for Nova Prime so I have no comment on that. Having the ability to customize the phone is the beauty of Android and that's where Nova Prime works beautifully.

Overall it's a keeper and a good decision to purchase.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick note.

The G4 is the only phone I have that doesn't have Nova Prime, mainly because I didn't see why I needed it.

I actually liked the stock launcher.

Attachments

• 1440247178891.jpg
    1440247178891.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 97

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually liked the stock launcher since my G3. Even better on the G4, minus the stock messaging app, I needed Textra lol

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My LG G4 is the best cell phone I have ever seen or touched. I even told my Apple friends that the LG G4 is more technologically advanced than the iPhone 7 that won't come out till 2016 but then again that isn't saying much. My only disappointment is some of the LG and T-Mobile bloatware I can't delete.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Stock launches apps faster than nova, on my g3. This is my wishlist phone though, tan leather to be exact.

Posted via the Android Central App

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello there, I have a question for all you G4 users. When I was in the store playing with all the phones the other day, the G4 screen felt almost plasticky rather than glass compared to say the m9 that I was messing about with. It also felt less responsive and smooth than the m9 (which felt a tad smoother and faster than my current 5S). Not sure if the two are related -- maybe there was some sort of screen protector on that I didn't notice? Do you owners have the same sort of experience or is it a one-off sort of thing? I have yet to see other operational G4s on display.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, I have a question for all you G4 users. When I was in the store playing with all the phones the other day, the G4 screen felt almost plasticky rather than glass compared to say the m9 that I was messing about with. It also felt less responsive and smooth than the m9 (which felt a tad smoother and faster than my current 5S). Not sure if the two are related -- maybe there was some sort of screen protector on that I didn't notice? Do you owners have the same sort of experience or is it a one-off sort of thing? I have yet to see other operational G4s on display.

Not the case for me.

Ricky Leung

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Just bought one today. The speed is a bit slower than my old Nexus 5. Probably because Nexus 5 is running stock android. Good enough for me though. The camera is a big upgrade. Battery is ok but can always put in a spare.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine the same amount of time in and it's progressively gotten worse. The phone gets super hot when the screen is off and in my pocket, and hotter if I have it on and playing a game for even thirty seconds.

At least two to three times a week now it gets in a cycle to where it won't send or receive text messages for anywhere from five minutes to six hours (and I don't even know it if I'm not sending text messages in that time). Power cycling, removing the battery, reseating the SIM, etc. do nothing to resolve it. And during that time the phone chews through battery, will not charge much at all (3-4 hours gets ~7% of battery charge), and it will cycle through 1x, 3G, and LTE. I've even reset the settings (not factory reset) to see if that helps, and it's done it three times since then.

I've got another one on the way via the Best Buy protection plan, but it's back ordered and I'll have to wait about two to three weeks for a new one. I'm hoping I just got a bad phone, because I really do like the camera on this phone and would hate to have to go back to the iPhone, but I may have to do it.

My experience with Android before the iPhone 5 came out was terrible and I wasn't sure I ever wanted to go back to Android after that (when I got the iPhone 5), but I did anyways (due to being sold on the camera, which is fantastic). Hopefully I don't have to switch back.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I'd have to guess it was either a screen protector or something special with the floor model. My screen feels super smooth and like glass, not like plastic at all.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I install Nova on ALL my devices just because I can back up, and have the same "UI" and options. It's just... very familiar to me! Not saying the LG G4 launcher is lacking anything, not by a long shot, but I'm just very used to Nova. Get a tablet? Nova! Get a phone? Nova! Restore backup from my Samsung, or Nexus 6, and boom, everything is back to how I like it. :) I guess that's just the beauty of Android :D