How much luck has everyone had going naked?

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
All giggles aside, I'm curious. Basically since I got the phone I've had a thin TPU-ish case on it. But dangit I want to show off the brown leather! Sometimes I take the case off but put it back a few minutes later. I just can't stand the thought of something happening to it. Maybe if I heard some stories about durability and wear it would make me feel better about going naked?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
2 days after I received my first G4 it slipped off a pillow while face down and found the corner of the bed frame on the way down. Dinged the plastic near the headphone jack. Then a week later I bumped something metal while the phone was in my shorts pocket and it dinged the plastic lip around the screen near the top. Minor dings but they were annoying since I knew where they were and it always drew my eye.

As fate would have it, I had an unfixable issue so I received a replacement G4. This time I ordered a clear case straight away. I'd prefer to go commando with this phone but it seems I don't play nice with the plastic around the edges.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I used to be cocky about going naked. I couldn't bring myself to shroud the engineered form in $2 plastic. Then this happened to my G3 (see attached).

Even after this I couldn't cover the leather back on my New G4. Common' really? My compromise was a voia aluminum and tpu bumper. My bezels are protected I can rest the phone upside down safely and my awesome leather back is on display.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20150901_213836_HDR.jpg
    20150901_213836_HDR.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 168

Darwalk

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't have anything on mine 90% of the time. If I am working outside and not in the office I put the original plastic back and a bumper on, otherwise I have the red or orange leather back on with nothing else.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Good luck here, with the black leather back, but from what I've heard of the durability (or lack thereof) of the brown, I don't think I'd want to run it naked. That said, I am thinking about getting an Amzer bumper case to protect the edges but still leave that gorgeous leather on display.

8livesleft

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Never used a case on any of my phones and I'm not going to anytime soon.

The phone feels really good in the hand and in the pocket. Wouldn't want to ruin that with some added bulk. I guess I value feel over keeping the phone nick or ding free.

I might put a screen protector tho. Scratches on the sides and back don't bug me but screen scratches and cracks sure do lol

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Not naked for me...I have this slim skin gel case and it is perfect for me...it provides the basic protection for my everyday use

Posted via my LG G4

Attachments

• 20150902_085838.jpg
    20150902_085838.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

benchph

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
@Kko5, our phones look exactly the same!

Though I have a tempered glass screen protector upfront.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
@Kko5, our phones look exactly the same!

Though I have a tempered glass screen protector upfront.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I think it is the ideal case in order to enjoy and feel the phone at its best. Personally I have a spigen crystal clear screen protector although I already ordered a tempered glass too just to be on the safe side :))

Posted via my LG G4

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've gone 'naked' with all my previous phones.
The wonderful Camera on the g4 convinced me to use a simple, light weight case to protect the camera lens from scratches.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Went naked with mine for quite a while when I first got it in June. I got the ceramic white one so I wanted to show that off.

Started noticing the (very slight) everyday handling type scratches in it though and bought a couple cases, which I still only really use if I'm traveling far from home.

And also bought a cheapo black leather back from ebay too to use as a stand in for my ceramic white.

Posted via the Android Central App on the LG G4
(or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5...merica)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I had 3 leather backs and never put a case on it. Carried it for almost two months naked. No issues, but I was lucky enough never to have dropped it. I do feel you're playing with fire without a case, but some people are experts at playing with fire. You just need to understand and be willing to accept the risks.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine going naked, probably dropped my phone 5 times in the few months I've owned it. A couple of the good ones in gravel and concrete, cracked the tempered screen protector on one of them. Good luck to you case-less peeps, I can't do it although I'd like to.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
It all depends on your lifestyle and clumsiness factor I guess (no offense intended to those who have spoken of numerous drops, seriously)...

I've always babied my phones, especially when I began buying in the high end of the market. Had my previous phone for two years and (ironically) never dropped it bad enough to incur any damage til a couple days before the release of the G4 in the parking lot of the VZW store. Made my decision to switch easier lol.

But really, if you know you're just that person that is more prone to dropping your stuff, sure get a case. If you feel confident you can handle your phone more carefully, then you should be okay without. There's no one that can answer the question of should you get a case better than yourself.

Like I said I keep a couple cases and a cheapo leather back on hand to use if the plan of the day warrants it, but otherwise baby my phone.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Not naked for me...I have this slim skin gel case and it is perfect for me...it provides the basic protection for my everyday use

Posted via my LG G4

What's the brand of that case? And does it provide a lip for screen protection?

I've pretty much on naked since day one. I did buy an Otterbox Commuter case and have used it occasionally (usually put it on when I'm going out on rugged terrain, etc.). Other than that I'll swap from the red leather to the gray plastic back from time to time.

If I end up getting the ProClip vehicle mount, I may have to go to the plastic back permanently, as it's not made for the leather back (they say). Though, they do have a more universal one that is for thinner cases/covers.

I do like the naked look though.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Otterbox defender would be one of the three cases I keep on hand but only use if I'm going to be outdoors for an extended period of time. It's just so bulky to be using for day to day use. Slimmest case I have is Spigen Neo Hybrid. Middle of the road is my Incipio Dualpro.