Should I take the plunge and root + install a custom ROM on it?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I assume most of you know that I'm on a second G4 with a S/N starting with 512 and it's an unlocked unit with model # "LG-H815".

It's a replacement unit since my original unit with a S/N starting with 505 died to the bootloop issue.

Now that it's been with me for about a month without issue, I'm thinking of rooting it and flashing a custom ROM since I'm not really feeling LG's software now.

Should I? There's no way of knowing if my 2nd G4 will fail again, especially since an S/N 511 G4 failed not too long ago.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Rooting and romming is not without risk, so if the phone is good as it is, I'd say leave things as they are. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you will definitely get more out of your phone with rooting it. LG software can be off-putting to some.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can't go any further, unfortunately.

My particular unit isn't from Europe even though it's a H815 (it's still an import). LG's bootloader unlock tool only supports phones from Europe, even if it's the same model. I don't get why they can't support ALL H815s.

The insulting thing is that my dead unit was supported. Guess I'll be exploring other options without rooting.

BTW, the main reason I'm doing this is for aesthetics since LG software isn't a looker to me and that DPI is still overly huge for me. Functionality-wise, it's fine.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can't go any further, unfortunately.

My particular unit isn't from Europe even though it's a H815 (it's still an import). LG's bootloader unlock tool only supports phones from Europe, even if it's the same model. I don't get why they can't support ALL H815s.

The insulting thing is that my dead unit was supported. Guess I'll be exploring other options without rooting.

BTW, the main reason I'm doing this is for aesthetics since LG software isn't a looker to me and that DPI is still overly huge for me. Functionality-wise, it's fine.

You can still root without bootloader unlock.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Marshmallow, though. Any link to tell me what to do?

Because the last time I checked on XDA, 5.1 was rootable. Not sure on M.

Didn't know you were on M. Honestly I haven't kept up with the G4 forum on XDA because none of the people that have G4's on my account care about root (I have the V10).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know you were on M. Honestly I haven't kept up with the G4 forum on XDA because none of the people that have G4's on my account care about root (I have the V10).

Yeah, you need TWRP to root on Marshmallow, which requires an unlocked bootloader.

And because LG isn't making the bootloader unlock tool available to ALL H815s (and even the V10. Just European G4s) for some weird unknown reason, I can't proceed any further.

However, I've begun making some tweaks to make it more pleasing without needing to root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress