Anyone using a Custom Rom on LG V20 & V30 with Root or at least GCAM with or without Root?

Rubberman365

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I have a T-mobile LG V20 H918 & H930 that are both still on stock 7.0 Android nougat. I'm trying but to decide if I should root and put a custom Rom on them or at least do GCAM while updating them to the latest Stock ROM? I don't really do much but use them for the usual call,text & pictures.

I do do lots of multi tasking tho and need good battery life with speed/performance. I also like most of the stock things that LG offers such as IR remote on the V20, Second Screen & Floating window on V30. I also use the LG Screen writing stuff and other goodies quite a bit. Question is do I do anything or upgrade to all stock? Please give me your best suggestions? My LG V30 is used in good condition and V20 is mint in box use it maybe once a month or so?

1 Peter 2:16 New Living Translation (NLT)

16 For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil.

New Living Translation (NLT)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, FYI I deleted the duplicates you created in the various other forums, and just kept the ones in the V20 and V30 forums, to prevent too many duplicate discussions.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have GCAM on my V30. Haven't used it in a while. What little picture taking I do on my phone is usually with the factory camera app, just out of laziness.

I like the relative cleanliness of the LG version of Android. Haven't found a need to root the phone.

Love the big screen on the V30, but it is eat up some power when viewing videos in any app. (YouTube, Instagram, Tiktok, etc.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I consider Gcam to be a step backwards compared to the stock V-series camera apps, so wouldn't bother installing it in the first place. I tried it once on a different phone and didn't care for it, plus it didn't have a fully implemented version of Gcam. The V-series phones were designed to excel worth manual controls, and they do. Auto mode on the V20 was still pretty good, but not the main focus of the camera setup. If you are looking for something like Gcam to shoot in auto mode, I would just go with a Pixel phone and know you are getting the best of that app. From my experience, there wasn't just a single port to install. There were a lot of ports just for my phone, and it was trial and error to find a version that worked well.