Is it safe to buy an Lg G4 now?

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been wanting to pick up an LG G4 now that they are discounted. I am concerned about the "boot loop" problem. I am currently with T-Mobile right now but when I called them about the "boot loop" problem, customer service said they were not aware of any problem and they don't sell defective phones that have been recalled. I was trying to find out if they had any left in stock that were manufactured after September of last year, since from what I have read, they should be safe.
I currently have an LG G3 that has been great except for having to replace a defective camera module which I did myself.
So, is it safe to buy a LG 4 not that they are discounted?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're buying directly from t-mobile, just check the serial number. If I were buying one now, I'd want it to have a serial number starting with 6 (meaning built in 2016). I just wouldn't be confident that earlier builds would not have the bootloop issue somewhere down the line. I'm on my 3rd one, with s/n 510, and I'm still nervous. The other day the phone battery heated up to over 128° . Doesn't make me confident.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The serial number is on a label located under the battery. It will start with the last digit of the year the phone was manufactured, with the next two digits being the month. For example, 505 indicates that the phone was produced in May 2015, 510 is October 2015, 601 is January 2016, and so on.

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a G3 and am also hesitating because of the boot loop issue.

Is the serial number under the battery likely to be the same as the one on the box?

The reason I ask is that if I order one here in the UK I want them to tell me what the first three numbers are of the serial number they are sending.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a G3 and am also hesitating because of the boot loop issue.

Is the serial number under the battery likely to be the same as the one on the box?

The reason I ask is that if I order one here in the UK I want them to tell me what the first three numbers are of the serial number they are sending.

I don't remember if the SN is lb the box sticker, but mine did list the manufacture date on the box sticker. That would work just as well.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My box (which is still sitting on my cluttered desk for some reason) has both the S/N and Manufactured date on it....

Anyway, mine came off the line in November and I've had it since mid December. No issues at all.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone! I guess I will pickup the LG 4 next week. They did tell me it shipped with Marshmallow which is the only drawback now. I prefer Lollipop

Cyndi Praegitzer

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I just had to return my LG G4 s/n 510 with the bootloop issue in turn they were not able to fix it. It always heated up to 128 degrees. Do you think December 2015 is ok?:'(

peteve

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
No and never. The serial number doesn't mean anything. My bootlooped G4 got repaired from LG with a new S/N and IMEI. I can tell they only replaced the motherboard and IMEI sticker because there is glue residue around it. It is the design defect that results in the problem, and LG never resolve it. You can never know what is the next time it bootloops.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
....and not anymore. It just froze up on me. I tried to reboot it and got the LG Life's Good screen, and nothing more. Is this the "boot loop" issue?
That is it. Welcome to the club!

I can say at this point that I would never, never, NEVER buy another LG phone. I currently have a G5, but only because Sprint gave it to me after three G4s bootlooped. The first G5 I received had half the screen freeze on me within 4 hours of receiving it. So I'm done with LG.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty