1. Design - 10 points
2. Built - 10 points
3. Screen - 10 points
4. Camera - 10 points
5. Battery life - 10 points
6. Software experience - 10 points
7. Sound experience - 10 points
8. Extra features -10 points

Judge the G5, HTC 10, S7 or S7 edge, Nexus 6P, iPhone 6S and any other phone you like by giving points accordingly.

Out of 10, how many points would you give to each phone in each of these departments?

I'll start. I'll judge my S6 edge as this is the current phone I own and looking to upgrade but can't decide which one to upgrade to.

So, for the S6 edge;

1. 7
2. 7
3. 10
4. 9
5. 5
6. 6
7. 6
8. 6

So the S6 edge gets an 56/80

That's a bad score :/

You can do this for any phone you like. Doesn't matter if you have it or not. You can do it for more than one phone as well for comparison. That would be more fun to see :D

Posted via the Android Central App

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
But... why in the G5 forum? You're posting this in the G5 forum and you rated your S6 Edge.

I am waiting for my G5 to arrive, and I have an S7E. I won't go to the G5 forum and post about my S7E...

Just saying that maybe this subforum isn't the most appropriate place. Maybe have it moved to the General thread?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
But... why in the G5 forum? You're posting this in the G5 forum and you rated your S6 Edge.

I am waiting for my G5 to arrive, and I have an S7E. I won't go to the G5 forum and post about my S7E...

Just saying that maybe this subforum isn't the most appropriate place. Maybe have it moved to the General thread?

Just a friendly post nothing else. Sorry. Was feeling extra jolly.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Two phones I've had this year:

S7 edge

1) 8
2) 10
3) 10
4) 9
5) 9
6) 5
7) 5
8) 6

LG G5

1) 8
2) 8
3) 8
4) 10
5) 7
6) 7
7) 7
8) 8

62/80 for my S7 edge and 63/80 for my LG G5.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Two phones I've had this year:

S7 edge

1) 8
2) 10
3) 10
4) 9
5) 9
6) 5
7) 5
8) 6

LG G5

1) 8
2) 8
3) 8
4) 10
5) 7
6) 7
7) 7
8) 8

62/80 for my S7 edge and 63/80 for my LG G5.

Reading this was fun :D
I like how the LG won by just one point. I think it was a very fair marking. Good job :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Reading this was fun :D
I like how the LG won by just one point. I think it was a very fair marking. Good job :)

Yes...the excitement was killing me. Seems like the Samsung lost its edge.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge, S6 Edge + and am trying the G5. I tallied my scores and the S7 Edge wins over the other two pretty easily. That does not necessarily mean that I like using it better than the G5. I like the feel and use of the G5 better and it has some really good features, but some significant shortcomings, as well.

First, the battery life of the G5 is just not good, especially compared to the S7 Edge. I know the battery is smaller and is swapable, but having an extra battery to swap out is just not as good as having a good strong battery. This is a significant issue.

Second, the G5's wifi antennae is not good. As others have noted, wifi on the G5 is very flaky. It continuously connects and disconnects when near the edge of its range and its range is not good. I have connectivity issues in areas of lower signal, but where the other phones have stayed connected without issue.

I like the feel of the G5 in the hand much better. It feels very good and is comfortable to use. The edge screen can cause handling issues and I do not like the physical home button on the Samsungs. The fingerprint reader is very good and easy to use on the G5.

There is no comparison between the screens. Samsung wins easily. Incidentally, the auto brightness on the G5 is perhaps the worst auto brightness implementation I have ever seen on a phone. It is painfully slow to adjust and just does not work. It sometimes throttles my screen down to 0 when I have decent lighting.

The G5 wins for camera for me, but they are very close.

I like how fast the G5 is, but the huge icons and characters are just unacceptable, especially for a smaller screen. Most of them can be changed using Nova, but the notification shade and others cannot. The icons should not take up the entire notification shade.

People dog Touchwiz, but it is really a non-factor for the most part. With the use of Nova or Apex and the ability to disable apps, TW is not an issue for me. The S7 Edge is very fast (the S6E+ not so much). It is not as fast or smooth as the G5, but that is not much of a problem.

I am a business user and rely heavily on the email, calendar, contacts (through exchange) and phone apps. The LG email app works fine, but all emails sent through exchange have tiny 10 pt font. This has been an LG problem for a long time. Font type can be changed through Microsoft Word (of all places), but not the size. It looks terrible. LG's calendar app is awful, particularly compared to Samsung's. Finally, I do not like how LG's phone and contacts apps do not have a dedicated tab for favorites, like most others. They are listed at the top, but it is not quite as easy to get to the favorites. There are apps in the app store that can replace these apps, but they are not the same as having all of them stock and well-integrated.

The modules for the G5 are just not a factor. Being able to swap batteries is a decent feature, but I cannot imagine using any others.

I am undecided about keeping the G5, There are a lot of things to like and it is not as bad as some have indicated, but it just misses on quite a few things. I have a few more days to decide. I also pre-ordered the HTC 10 and will see how it compares. At the end of all of this I will have the S7 Edge and one other that I will use. I always have two, just in case and just because I get bored and need a switch.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge, S6 Edge + and am trying the G5. I tallied my scores and the S7 Edge wins over the other two pretty easily. That does not necessarily mean that I like using it better than the G5. I like the feel and use of the G5 better and it has some really good features, but some significant shortcomings, as well.

First, the battery life of the G5 is just not good, especially compared to the S7 Edge. I know the battery is smaller and is swapable, but having an extra battery to swap out is just not as good as having a good strong battery. This is a significant issue.

Second, the G5's wifi antennae is not good. As others have noted, wifi on the G5 is very flaky. It continuously connects and disconnects when near the edge of its range and its range is not good. I have connectivity issues in areas of lower signal, but where the other phones have stayed connected without issue.

I like the feel of the G5 in the hand much better. It feels very good and is comfortable to use. The edge screen can cause handling issues and I do not like the physical home button on the Samsungs. The fingerprint reader is very good and easy to use on the G5.

There is no comparison between the screens. Samsung wins easily. Incidentally, the auto brightness on the G5 is perhaps the worst auto brightness implementation I have ever seen on a phone. It is painfully slow to adjust and just does not work. It sometimes throttles my screen down to 0 when I have decent lighting.

I like how fast the G5 is, but the huge icons and characters are just unacceptable, especially for a smaller screen. Most of them can be changed using Nova, but the notification shade and others cannot. The icons should not take up the entire notification shade.

People dog Touchwiz, but it is really a non-factor for the most part. With the use of Nova or Apex and the ability to disable apps, TW is not an issue for me. The S7 Edge is very fast (the S6E+ not so much). It is not as fast or smooth as the G5, but that is not much of a problem.

I am a business user and rely heavily on the email, calendar, contacts (through exchange) and phone apps. The LG email app works fine, but all emails sent through exchange have tiny 10 pt font. This has been an LG problem for a long time. Font type can be changed through Microsoft Word (of all places), but not the size. It looks terrible. LG's calendar app is awful, particularly compared to Samsung's. Finally, I do not like how LG's phone and contacts apps do not have a dedicated tab for favorites, like most others. They are listed at the top, but it is not quite as easy to get to the favorites. There are apps in the app store that can replace these apps, but they are not the same as having all of them stock and well-integrated.

The modules for the G5 are just not a factor. Being able to swap batteries is a decent feature, but I cannot imagine using any others.

I am undecided about keeping the G5, There are a lot of things to like and it is not as bad as some have indicated, but it just misses on quite a few things. I have a few more days to decide. I also pre-ordered the HTC 10 and will see how it compares. At the end of all of this I will have the S7 Edge and one other that I will use. I always have two, just in case and just because I get bored and need a switch.

Yes we understand man. Everybody's use differ. And this is just a fun things I thought everybody would enjoy and I'd learn too as I am looking for an upgrade.

Of course this is not to judge which phone is best for you. You might rank somethings higher than the others. I've kept everything equal.

You should take your time and use everything you have and make a decision off of that experience.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Do you have different lines for all these phones or do you just swap out sims

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Swap SIMs.

I like the G5 and can't return it because I bought it new from an EBay reseller for 500 dollars. As an added bonus, the 360 cam and battery is on the way from a prior purchased G5 that I submitted for.
I would like too check out the HTC 10 since I can pay 22 dollars a month for it..... Just not convinced that I should have two phones. I also like the nexus 6P but its tough to hold. I also hate to give up the G5 since I really like this phone.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure that this scoring system works for me. I would want to weight what's important to me with all the items. For example, battery life and display quality, are much more important to me than the camera quality and phone design. So a phone that was great with its all metal construction that was going to be covered with a case, or a great low light camera that I seldom would use, wouldn't balance for me a dimmer display that I couldn't see in bright sunlight or a battery that wouldn't get me through the day.

Posted via Android Central App