Anyone Using An MHL Cable With Ther Optimus g?

Mramos860

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
What Type Of MHL Cable With Work With My AT&T Lg Optimus G? I'm scared to buy one online and then it not work with my phone. I have read places that people buy MHL cables and it doesnt work with their MHL compatible phone.

Mramos860

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Is it the Samsung One? I read on a review on amazon that the Samsung one will only work with Samsung products. I ordered one off EBAY (I know risky) because it said it was compatible with the O.G.

bdeustis

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Here are a few things to consider:

A) Make sure MHL adapter charges phone while you are using it as an input source otherwise the whole exercise is pointless as the phone battery will drain rapidly.

B) Purchase an MHL cable adapter that has RCP capabilities. Some TVs recognize CEC-HDMI (AnyNet+). If Yes, this allows your TV's remote to Play/Stop FF, RW and Select items from your Phone. My MHL adapter was about $10 (I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free and fast.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3113122

C) Connect the MHL adapter in a proper sequence. The above adapter has three connections:
  • mini USB jack (on the side ) - connects power source (phone charger)
  • mini USB dongle - connects to the phone
  • HDMI jack - connects MHL adapter to TV with an HDMI cable
I connect in the above order, then acquire/search for MHL source on TV

D) Make sure your power source connects to a wall outlet as opposed to a PC or TV USB port. Often these ports do not have enough current (Amperage.) I can't remember min to avoid think its about 1.0A. A PC or a TV USB port are unlikely to provide enough current so use the wall.

E) You need to make sure that the TV's specific HDMI input is properly configured. I have a Samsung LN40B650 with lots of input sources but I only use HDMI. If you dig around on various Audio/Video forums (AVS for example) you'll learn that each input source has their own unique settings. Its been a very long while, however, as I recall, stay away from the HDMI/DVI port as the settings are limited given the dual nature of the port (HDMI or DVI):
  • HDMI1/DVI (Camcorder)
  • HDMI2 (Cable STB/DVR)
  • HDMI3 (Blu Ray Player)
  • HDMI4 (PC/PHONE)
(value) indicates my specific input source usage

F) Make sure your TVs settings for AnyNet+ are properly set to Auto recognize CEC devices. Samsung keeps changing these names and menu locations and this maybe called something else on another Brand but the point here is that it is not just the MHL adapter that needs to be considered for things to work properly.

Last edited:

Mike Denney

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Dude, you just knocked it out of the park, and you know it.
Thanks--no idea why, but I wasn't even thinking about RCP 'til you mentioned it here, and you bet there's a ton of crap out there begging idiots like me to buy without researching--f'rinstance, the eforcity PoS on eBay right now for less than $5--SHIPPED--which absolutely does NOT allow a charger, and you're right on, that's a deal breaker if you've never even bought one, because you just can't expect your smartphone to power an HDMI display signal without sucking the life out of your battery worse than Ben Affleck can suck the life out of a script ("I'm Batman"...and you are? "Matt Da-mon!").
haha, thanks again. Just bought mine [sigh, from China] on eBay for under $7 shipped from a vendor named [snicker, but seriously] jenny.hot (maybe we should get her NUMBER...anyone?)
There were just three left when I bought mine a few mins ago, but they'll relist more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress