Cradle for the Optimus?

Aaron Little

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I currently use a business card holder I picked up at WalMart to hold my Optimus on my nightstand.

[URL="https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/612734/9383?sharedid=159229&subId1=UUacUvbUpU480489&subId2=vbac&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FRolodex-Mesh-Business-Card-Holder-Capacity-50-2-1-4-x-4-Cards-Black%2F15074512%22]Click Here[/URL] to see the one I am using.

Last edited:

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Too bad none of these cradles have charging mechanism in place. That is actually one thing I miss coming from Pixi/Pre touchstones

slipd

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I currently use a business card holder I picked up at WalMart to hold my Optimus on my nightstand.

[URL="https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/612734/9383?sharedid=159229&subId1=UUacUvbUpU481091&subId2=vbac&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FRolodex-Mesh-Business-Card-Holder-Capacity-50-2-1-4-x-4-Cards-Black%2F15074512%22]Click Here[/URL] to see the one I am using.

Nice! May pick one up tomorrow. Is there enough clearance at the bottom to macgyver a charging cable through it?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

[URL="https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/612734/9383?sharedid=159229&subId1=UUacUvbUpU481112&subId2=vbac&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FRolodex-Mesh-Business-Card-Holder-Capacity-50-2-1-4-x-4-Cards-Black%2F15074512%22]Click Here[/URL] to see the one I am using.

Very cool!!!

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Made a discovery today. The Optimus is within a millimeter or two in all dimensions of matching the size of the iPhone 3G/3GS. This opens the door to a million cheap cradles/holders that would probably hold the Optimus pretty nicely, and likely *very* securely in a case/silicon skin.

I ran across this today and it's cheap enough to give it a blind try:

For only $2.51 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Windshield Mount with Adjustable Arm for iPhone 3G/3GS | Bracket / Stand for iPhone & Blackberry

The site also sells some of the least expensive USB cables (including micro-B cables) I've ever come across. I think I'll put in an order and fab something up for the car and maybe the desk too.

Hey cmags, did you ever get this and try it out? I'd really prefer one of these "snap in" type cradles as opposed to the chunkier adjustable arm ones, but I'm worried that the Optimus is smaller than the Iphone by a few millimeters, and might just rattle around/fall out....

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey cmags, did you ever get this and try it out? I'd really prefer one of these "snap in" type cradles as opposed to the chunkier adjustable arm ones, but I'm worried that the Optimus is smaller than the Iphone by a few millimeters, and might just rattle around/fall out....

Yes I did, and as of today have my final results of testing it. First, I want to mention that the suction cup on this holder sucks -that is to say actually that it doesn't- it falls off the glass very easily. It may have just been to cold when I tried, but I am primarily concerned with the cradle part only because I plan to hard mount it to my dash anyway.

The phone is just slightly too small for the cradle when naked. It wouldn't hold in a car environment.

DSCF6527.jpg

To tighten this up you can simply attach a thin (approx 1 mm) piece of plastic or rubberto compensate nicely.

DSCF6529.jpg
DSCF6528.jpg

Next I tried it with a hard case. It fit snugly. A bit too snugly tho, at the low corners and sides mostly. It would have been a fairly easy fix however. Simply either sand the cradle down on the few key spots or bend them out under a bit of heat.

DSCF6530.jpg

I was going to do this but then there was talk in the cases thread about the tpu firm cases. I ordered one and received it today. It fits *perfectly*. Easy in and out but solidly cradled.

DSCF6525.jpg
DSCF6535.jpg

Now to figure out how to hard mount the cradle in the car, and more importantly, how to affix a charging cable permanently to the cradle. More updates later as I tackle these issues.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the pics and the very informative post on the cradle adaptation...that looks like the Arkon cradle...helluva price indeed. One question...I've seen a similar looking cradle on eBay that comes with a stylus holder molded into the back of the cradle...and they even throw in a stylus. I'd find that useful for a phone with no QWERTY...does this one have that stylus holder, or not? Thanks again.

Last edited:

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
@TVCCS - No the cradle didn't come with a stylus or place to hold one. Do you have a link to the one you saw?

@asanchez - I wasn't ever able to find the desk cradle available for sale anywhere. It was just shown as a product on their site - but you couldn't buy it.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
@TVCCS - No the cradle didn't come with a stylus or place to hold one. Do you have a link to the one you saw?

@asanchez - I wasn't ever able to find the desk cradle available for sale anywhere. It was just shown as a product on their site - but you couldn't buy it.

Yeah...here it is...also comes with a carabiner, even. That stylus mount would be terribly handy for this phone.

Vehicle suction car mount holder for Apple iphone 3G S - eBay (item 180622927699 end time Mar-09-11 17:30:56 PST)

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
LG Vortex Media Charging Dock Works As Cradle For Optimus S or V

I picked one of these up for my V, and it works. The car mount from Verizon for the Vortex also works...buy both and get 20% off. The car mount is likely the most stable I've found yet for the Optimus...very solid. On the Optimus V they do not trigger Media Mode or Nav automatically, but they work otherwise.

SPECIAL NOTE: Some owners of the Optimus V are reporting the cradle triggers the Voice Button on the right side of the phone (others don't), and may require use of a Dremel or similar tool to create enough space to prevent this. Appparently this is a very fine "fit" issue for some phones, as some people have the issue, and others do not.

30370189521_ORIG.jpg

30370189581_ORIG.jpg

LG Vortex Media Charging Dock

lg_vortex_windo_mount.jpg

LG Vortex Navigational Mount

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimh27 and mangust

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not the cardboard one offered earlier in the thread...but I found my own cheapie today, provided you have a case:

VStand1.jpg

VStand2.jpg

A whopping $1.29, courtesy of your local Office Max.

They have business card holders that work with non-cased phones as well...as do Office Depot and Staples.

dwb993

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I picked one of these up for my V, and it works. The car mount from Verizon for the Vortex also works...buy both and get 20% off. The car mount is likely the most stable I've found yet for the Optimus...very solid. On the Optimus V they do not trigger Media Mode or Nav automatically, but they work otherwise.

lg_vortex_windo_mount.jpg

LG Vortex Navigational Mount

I am liking this car mount from Verizon for my Vortex. The pic does not show how the charging cable is routed, although it does say, "This custom fitted mount includes a built-in power port for convenient in-vehicle charging!" Does anyone have this particular car mount and can post pics, please?

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am liking this car mount from Verizon for my Vortex. The pic does not show how the charging cable is routed, although it does say, "This custom fitted mount includes a built-in power port for convenient in-vehicle charging!" Does anyone have this particular car mount and can post pics, please?

You can see the charging port of the phone in the pic there...I used mine vertically and just ran the charging cable up from the bottom. If you use it horizontally, you'd need to do it from the side, like is shown in the picture. The mount doesn't have any integrated power jack like some others do...Verizon got that one wrong...I think the stuff about launching Car Home with a Vortex is probably bull as well...but I'm sure there's a Vortex thread somewhere about same. I used mine with an Optimus V and it was a perfect fit and very stable, but eventually went with a mount that allowed me to use a Body Glove button case on the dash. I just made a more detailed post about car mounts over at Android Forums...peruse at your leisure...

Optimus V Car Mounts - Android Forums

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I picked one of these up for my V, and it works.

30370189521_ORIG.jpg

30370189581_ORIG.jpg

Just got mine today. Some more words of caution:

As a charger it works totally fine. The included transformer is exactly the same as the one that comes with the Optimus V (5.1V, .7A).

The cradle is identified as a USB 1.0 device in Windows. This means slow file transfers and *might* mean lower amperage for charging (haven't been able to confirm this).

You have to push the phone down quite firmly in order for it to be recognized as a USB device and not just charge. In other words if you gently set it in the cradle it only charges. If you push harder, it will be recognized by the computer. The tolerance is obviously very small. Some light modding of the cradle will probably alleviate this.

All in all it's better than nothing I suppose but the lack of accessories for these phones sure is frustrating :(