[KERNEL][GB] GingerKernel v08.1 (OC) DOUBLE-TAPPING BUG FIXED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
GingerKernel.gif

GingerKernel 2.6.35.7 v08.1

A Gingerbread kernel based on official LG source

[WARN]This kernel is for 2.3-based (official LG-based) ROMs ONLY. Use on Froyo-based ROMS WILL result in major issues and as such is not supported!

This kernel is not certified for use on any CyanogenMod ROM at this time, but you are welcome to test it anyway. Just know that bug reports from any ROM that is not based on the official LG software will be ignored for the time being.[/WARN]
[INFO]ROM Developers:

Rather than include GingerKernel in your ROM, please direct your users to this thread so they have the chance to thank or donate to me for my time and effort![/INFO]

[INFO]Double-tapping bug

There is a bug in standard LG kernels for some of the Optimus One series of phones (which includes the Optimus S) that causes the CPU to spike whenever the screen is touched. This results in the double-tapping issue that most GingerKernel users are experiencing. In v08, this has been fixed. Have fun, kids![/INFO]
Changelog:
From v08 to v08.1
1) Charging issue (whoops!) fixed. ZVH-specific charging issue still remains.

The full changelog can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/drewwalton19216801/gingerkernel-2.6.35/changesets

Download:
Download Here (v08.1)

Installation:
1) Download kernel ZIP
2) Place ZIP on root of sd card
3) Reboot to recovery mode
4) Flash kernel ZIP as you would a ROM (don't need to wipe anything)
5) PROFIT!

Sources:
My Github Repositories
My GingerKernel Repository (old)
My GingerKernel Repository (new)

Building Instructions (NOT FOR NOOBS):
COMING SOON!

Donations:

If you like this, please consider a donation.
If not, hit that THANKS button for me!

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [KERNEL][CM7] GingerKernel v01

The GPS in CM7 got magically fixed with this kernel. Not sure what else got randomly fixed, though nothing seems to be broken (that wasn't already).

Reactions: crackle#AC

knightwolf123

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

im sorry to report it didnt fix mine :(

is there a special trick to get it going?

i had an htc evo working gps on cm7 but had to to "gpsclrx" trick to get it fixed

with this kernel so far....

no gps (didnt change from stock kernel)
no over clock (i had that befor)
screen not responsive from wake

:(

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
im sorry to report it didnt fix mine :(

is there a special trick to get it going?

i had an htc evo working gps on cm7 but had to to "gpsclrx" trick to get it fixed

with this kernel so far....

no gps (didnt change from stock kernel)
no over clock (i had that befor)
screen not responsive from wake

:(

You have to understand that this is just a compile of the stock kernel. Drew has not modded it yet that I know of. His future versions will have oc available.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Woohoo, got the new kernel loaded. Thanks Drew.

Definitely less responsive. Makes me appreciate all the work that's been put into Xionia kernel. I'll stick with it for a while to see if I have any problems, but will end up going back to Xionia for the performance benefits.

knightwolf123

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

You have to understand that this is just a compile of the stock kernel. Drew has not modded it yet that I know of. His future versions will have oc available.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

understood but, the only thing that wasnt working was my gps. now it still doesent work and the phone is slower.

i appreciate all the hard work put into this but ill be reverting back untill the GPS is actually fixed

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

understood but, the only thing that wasnt working was my gps. now it still doesent work and the phone is slower.

i appreciate all the hard work put into this but ill be reverting back untill the GPS is actually fixed

My GPS works on XioniaRedux; it takes about 5 minutes to locate me with satellites. :cool:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Google Maps located me immediately with pinpoint accuracy. Note that it also helps to have wifi on.

Also yes, I haven't added overclocking to the kernel yet. Working on it.

Also again, the current CM7 build is using the Froyo proprietary files, so any performance issues (which I haven't seen actually) will probably be fixed once the stock 2.3 files are available.

And what do you mean "the phone is slower?"

knightwolf123

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Google Maps located me immediately with pinpoint accuracy. Note that it also helps to have wifi on.

Also yes, I haven't added overclocking to the kernel yet. Working on it.

Also again, the current CM7 build is using the Froyo proprietary files, so any performance issues (which I haven't seen actually) will probably be fixed once the stock 2.3 files are available.

And what do you mean "the phone is slower?"

sorry i didnt specify, i was overclocked to 729.

a note on the gps though, i noticed on both kernels my gps icon doesnt even light up in the notification bar. ive checked to see that it is turned on, even turned it off then back on again. oh well, perhaps ill find some way to fix this bug later or a different build for the rom or kernel will be released to fix it.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a problem WITH GPS.
Side note: I reverted back to the XioniaRedux kernel. Must have the OC.
But I am still excited to see what can be done with the source!
Drew you rock.
sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did!

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

@basketthis

you are not the only one that takes 5 mins. to locate GPS. I had the same problem too. It took very long for me when the GPS had to locate me. Ha, it was very funny when I wanted to show off CM7 to my friends and showed them the navigation on my phone, just to be disappointed that it took forever to find me.

All in all, thanks Drew. You truly are the most awesome guy. The things that have been done to my phone is just amazing. Thanks again :)

Reactions: drewwalton19216801

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

BTW there can potentially be multiple modes used to figure out your location. This often leads to confusion where one person says GPS works for them and somebody else says it doesn't. They could be both correct as different mechanisms could be used.

1) wifi location (usually 1-3 second location)
2) cell radio tower location (usually 1-3 second location)
3) gps location
3a) standalone GPS (usually 30+ second locks)
3b) mobile assisted GPS (usually 3-7 second locks)

If you want to determine whether you are truly using the GPS modes, enable airplane mode (turn off phone radio and wifi), reboot your phone, then run a tool like GPS test

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

If you want to test mobile assisted GPS (and possibly radio tower location if your phone supports it) turn on the phone radio but disable wifi.

WiFi location can be surprisingly accurate because Google mapped lots of APs when their streetview car drove around. This could then be mistaken for GPS working fast when it otherwise works slow for others.

Additionally some implementations can cache ephemeris data downloaded from alternate sources like the phone or wifi data connection. Normally this would need to be downloaded from the GPS satellite and is why standalone GPS takes longer to lock. The data is usually good for 7 days. This can result in faster locks for standalone GPS modes.

It is all very confusing when discussing in a forum because it isn't very clear which method is being used to find your location.

Reactions: Whyzor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress