Links2SD to fix Market with RebornRom 2.2.4 - EXT4

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
*TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK*

This was done with picasticks and Reborn 2.24.

Seems the market cache always fills up in the dalvik-cache, this is located in /cache by default of Reborn Rom but is located in /data by default of Froyo, so to try to fix this I tried data2ext got it going but was not stable so I decided to try links2sd so I could just move the biggest apps and make room for the dalvik-cache here is what I did in a clean wipe/install

1. Created a partition in ClockWork recovery as 1024meg 0meg swap
2. Flashed Reborn 2.2.5
3. adb shell
4. Did these commands I found from data2ext thread on XDA.
mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck -yf /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

(This makes partition EXT4)

5. Booted rom up ran rootexplorer to edit /system/etc/init.d/99tweaks and added

insmod /system/lib/modules/mbcache.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/jbd2.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/ext4.ko

mknod ext4 b 179 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
chmod 600 ext4

6. Installed Link2SD and linked to EXT4
7. Rebooted saw it Linked, removed /system/etc/mvdalvik.sh (file used by reborn to put dalvik in /cache I believe.
8. adb shell
rm -r /cache/dalvik-cache/*

I am new at this so If anyone that actually codes comes up with something better let me know =]

I will try it out, I think having every app going to the ext4 was screwing me up and was not stable, now I can pick which go and hope the market has room to download.

AGAIN I am a novice!

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
forgive my noobishness here but doesnt froyo have app2sd included? thought that was only of the big advancements for froyo. And data2ext only works for gbread...or is that was your trying to get around? how many apps do most users have? i only use like 8 or 10 continuously. out of the total 165MB, i use barely 70MB...15 if i move em all to sd.

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
There are ways around it picasticks supports it, you just have to load the ext files manually with a script like posted above maybe nick will add the files in the next rom so people have access to theif sperate partitions...

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I ended up keeping rmdalvik.sh and just moved all the apps to my sdcard with links2sd, maybe create a partition just for the dalvik, im not sure, and wont try till this messes up, i have tons of apps installed, my problem began wheb trying to download angry birds and it would not let me due to lack of market download cache

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There are ways around it picasticks supports it, you just have to load the ext files manually with a script like posted above maybe nick will add the files in the next rom so people have access to theif sperate partitions...

Minor point of correction: Picasticks' kernel doesn't support it. You added support by installing the ext4.ko module (insmod = install module). You can also copy the make2fs, tune2fs, e2fsck to the /system directory and add these ext file system tools to your phone. You might have to reboot afterwards. You will need e2fsck if you run Link2SD. I have had my phone lock up during an update when Link2SD was updating the link and the only way to get Link2SD to work again was to run e2fsck to correct problems. I had to reformat the sdext partition once and install everything from backup. You can occasionally back up your sdext partition to your regular SD FAT32 partition and then back up your card to your computer. Details are in one of my posts in the Link2SD thread over at XDA.

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The files are already there with pickstiks, the commands to load them upon boot are not... I believe