How to root the Optimus S with a Mac?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You cannot unless you get access to windows machine to revert to ZVD or a new generic Android/Linux exploit is released, which could be anywhere from tomorrow to never.

Reactions: enrigayboy

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but VirtualBox is free and you don't have to repartition your HD (risking data loss). Just so we're clear though...Windows is NOT free, and you're still going to need that to run in your VM or Bootcamp instance.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
It is possible to revert and root without a Windows machine.
In reference to the "install.bat" included in the instructions for rooting ZVH, that is simply a file that runs commands to push files to the appropriate places on the phone. This is something you can do yourself with the adb terminal.
As long as you can install adb shell, you can do (almost) anything. And all the files you need are on this forum. It's a matter of push/pulling them and flashing them in the correct order. Then root and install custom recovery (Xionia)...
Everything can be adapted to a different operating system (unless it's instructions for KP500). In the case of KP500, you should not be using it unless you are at a complete loss as to why your phone is no longer working. Just consider it a last resort for bricks... ;)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
He's already on ZVH without first flashing the V9 stock recovery. Since ZVH can't be rooted as of now, he'll need to revert back to ZVD first and put the V9 stock recovery on.

To do that revert, he'll have to use the LG update tool via KP500 or KDZ. The LG update tool only runs on windows, hence the discussion of ways to run it on the mac via virtual machine.

It can be tricky to get the drivers and everything working on virtual machine. I believe people have done it, but not something I would suggest to people with less experience.

Reactions: basketthis

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
@basketthis: Seeing the SDK was available for Win/Mac/Linux, I was typing out a similar post until I looked deeper into the protocol and realized that it called for the proprietary LG update tool. If he had not gone ahead with the OTA to VH, it would have been very possible.

lol macs are so superior as web browsers.

Please don't make this a silly OS war, a Mac is a great low-maintenance computer to own and use. People should have the freedom to use whatever OS they like, especially to manipulate open software like Android. The problem is--as is with a lot of software--is that the LG Updater is closed source and the creators are shortsighted in making the binaries available for only one OS. It's almost as bad as certain MoBo manufacturers that claim to be OS agnostic, yet require Windows to update the BIOS. Mess like that is probably the only reason I have never purchased a Blackberry device.

Has anyone tried to get the LG update tool running in WINE?

Last edited:
Reactions: basketthis

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Have considered trying wine. Lol. Just easier to dual boot...
Actually trying to get Amazon downloader to work with it (not the mp3 downloader, but the game downloader). But enough of my ventures. Lol. Looks like you guys have him pointed in the right direction! Good work!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
please don't go on a tirade when someone tries to inject a little humor into a forum :)

Fair enough, I guess I didn't take it as such. My frustrations and subsequent tirade on that one are more directed at LG and others for promoting the absurd Only Windows Matters ideology. Apologies for missing the joke.

VwvPU687OH5j

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Follow the ZVH rooting guide. Download the android sdk from google. Download platform-tools so you have adb. Whenever they tell you to run adb use the one you downloaded. This includes the install.bat

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Follow the ZVH rooting guide. Download the android sdk from google. Download platform-tools so you have adb. Whenever they tell you to run adb use the one you downloaded. This includes the install.bat

Again, the issue lies in that the OP already accepted the OTA update to VH. If you follow the VH root guide knowing this, it directs you to this thread and instructs you on how to use the proprietary LG tool that they released for MS Windows only. If you have a way to get around that little catch, I am very much open to you posting it! :)

P.S. Is your handle more just leet than I can grasp or what? Looks like you copied it from a password generator.

Last edited:

VwvPU687OH5j

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Again, the issue lies in that the OP already accepted the OTA update to VH. If you follow the VH root guide knowing this, it directs you to this thread and instructs you on how to use the proprietary LG tool that they released for MS Windows only. If you have a way to get around that little catch, I am very much open to you posting it! :)

P.S. Is your handle more just leet than I can grasp or what? Looks like you copied it from a password generator.

Good guess on the nick.

I just rooted my phone while driving in a car with a mac, but I didn't notice that the OP grabbed the OTA update. Just ran into the issue with my mom's phone. I'm sure someone could decompile the KP500 and recompile it in java or something.

spectheintro

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Although you'll need a Windows box to revert to VD, I would really recommend doing the rest of the rooting with your Mac. I use both Windows and Mac for mobile development and I *vastly* prefer OSX's way of handling Android: it all goes through the bash shell, which is the same basic architecture that Android uses anyway. adb fits into bash very elegantly.

svo42

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
from my understanding wine doesn't handle hardware the same way, and since it's creating a serial connection with adb i'd be sketch to try it.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just for kicks and giggles....

You don't need to revert back to ZVD by using LG update or KP500 anymore, since sprint released the ZVD update.zip. Just place on sdcard, boot into recovery, wipe data, then install update.zip.

But most of us already know this :)