[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVD/ZVH (100% automated) + ZVJ (automated)

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (100% automated, no revert/wipe nee

Do I need to unplug the phone BEFORE or AFTER I reboot? (Or does it matter?). Just wanted to know if it makes a difference. Also, do I need to exit the program after running "runfirst"? Or can I just close the window? Lastly, How much minimum free space should I have to run the exploit. I know installing SU and busybox both take up space (b/c they are apps) And I've got not much more than 16.5 MG (which is about where the system starts complaining).
Thanks!

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Do I need to unplug the phone BEFORE or AFTER I reboot? (Or does it matter?). Just wanted to know if it makes a difference. Also, do I need to exit the program after running "runfirst"? Or can I just close the window? Lastly, How much minimum free space should I have to run the exploit. I know installing SU and busybox both take up space (b/c they are apps) And I've got not much more than 16.5 MG (which is about where the system starts complaining).
Thanks!
RUNFIRST will exit by itself and leave you at the DOS prompt (or close the window if you double-clicked on it), so there is no need to forcibly exit it. Once you are at a dos prompt, you can close the window.

You don't need to unplug your phone, everything will work fine. When everything is done and you have verified you have root, then unplug the phone.

su and busybox take up space, but they take up space in /system, which is totally separate space from /data (which is what your 16.5MB is describing). They take up around 1.3MB in /system and probably 100-150KB in /data (for dalvik-cache)

Last edited:
Reactions: Va1ha11a

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (automated, no revert/wipe needed)

While you are waiting, why don't you test the fully automated install out.

All you type is "install-auto" and the scripts do the rest. Hard to get easier than that.

You can theoretically do it without a PC as well, but you'll need to follow the manual instructions, which are also greatly simplified from the past since scripts are again doing most of the work.

Thanks for posting this, but through experience, as well as trial and error, won't this brick my Optimus S? I do have experience and I will be posting a topic soon on how to get back to 2.2.2 from 2.3.3 (the Sprint Gingerbread update), AND how to root 2.2.2 using GingerBreak. As stated, I have 2.2.2 now and I had 2.3.3. I want to get back to GingerBread, but before now, I have been unable to root GingerBread with One-Click Root, GingerBreak, or GingerSnap...

By the way, the exploit I am using is known as Chainfire.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Click to view quoted image

This guide is for directly rooting ZVH Android for the LG Optimus S using a 100% automated script.
It will install persistent root, busybox, and Xionia CWMA Recovery.
If you prefer a GUI install (just root, not Xionia CWMA Recovery) try this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ck-root-sons-korhal-root-utility-1-0-1-a.html

This assumes you ALREADY HAVE ZVH installed.
If you need to root a previous version, see these guides: ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]
If you are already rooted on a version prior to ZVH (ie ZV8, ZV9, ZVC, ZVD), you can use this guide to update to ZVH and root.
Alternatively you could update to ZVH on your own (see reference section for ZVH update.zip), then use the automated routine in this post.

With respect to which method to use, the guide to update to ZVH and root always works (as long as you follow the directions) but is more steps (and you would need to revert to ZVD if you already have ZVH). The exploit used in this guide might not hit the first try (may need to reboot and try again) but there is only one automated step. It usually works on the first or second try, but can take more. It will eventually work.

0) Backup anything important
With this particular procedure there is very little chance something bad will happen, but it is good practice to backup before making any changes.

1) Download the ZVH automated rooting package
Download the ZVH automated rooting package [zvhauto.zip] [archive - do NOT use (unless instructed)]
UNZIP to top-level directory of your C: drive

2) Pre-requisites Checklist
SD card is INSERTED
USB Debugging is ENABLED - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
USB Storage Mode is OFF - [Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected"]
LG USB/Android drivers are INSTALLED - [See Reference Section D1 (below)]
Phone is connected to USB port and recognized
Phone is turned ON
Phone screen is UNLOCKED

3) Run the ZVH automated rooting package
From PC command prompt, run "runfirst" and select Option A (will install persistent root and Xionia CWMA recovery):
(if you have an aversion to typing, you can use file explorer to navigate to C:\zvhauto and double-click on RUNFIRST.bat)

Note #1 - You may see a message in your notification bar saying "SD card safe to remove", this is expected, please IGNORE

4) You are DONE!
See Reference Section A for things you can try with your newly installed persistent root and Xionia CWMA custom recovery. To unroot, redo Step #3, use Option B

Note #1 - Keep in mind, should you CHOOSE to run "su", you will be prompted for permissions on the phone's screen the first time it is run. If you don't realize that, you'll get "permission denied" and think the root didn't work. Make sure your phone is NOT on the lock screen or you won't see the prompt. It is NOT required that you run "su". You ARE ROOTED regardless.
Also, I am doing a quick reply for a question -- do we need to have the Android SDK installed to Windows for this to work? I want to use this method, but do not want to install the Android SDK... Adb always gives me trouble...

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm doing everythign correctly but when trying to unroot I'm getting stuck here with it saying waiting for device to be connected

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (automated, no revert/wipe needed)

Thanks for posting this, but through experience, as well as trial and error, won't this brick my Optimus S?
Rooting will not brick your phone. I don't understand what you are saying. It seems like you are saying you bricked your phone, but you are asking a question whether it will.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Also, I am doing a quick reply for a question -- do we need to have the Android SDK installed to Windows for this to work? I want to use this method, but do not want to install the Android SDK... Adb always gives me trouble...
You do not need Android SDK installed. The zvhauto.zip package includes everything you need except the USB/Android drivers.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm doing everythign correctly but when trying to unroot I'm getting stuck here with it saying waiting for device to be connected
Then that means adb cannot find your device. It isn't something specific to the actual unroot actions. Before the unroot can start it first has to be able to communicate with your phone..

Did you install USB/Android drivers?

Did you turn on USB debugging on phone?

Did you try stopping the adb server?

Did you try rebooting PC and phone?

If you still have the /sdcard/000root directory on your phone's sdcard you can do the unroot from "terminal" on the phone without need for PC: (do not type $ or # signs)
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-vd.sh
# /system/bin/sh install-unroot.sh
# reboot

Last edited:

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

i had the "I'm getting stuck here with it saying waiting for device to be connected" error a lot, ended up rebooting the computer then it worked :)

jamesrsmith

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm not able to get my LG Optimus S phone rooted (LS670ZVH). I continue to get permission denied when i issue su command after adb shell. I have tried zvhrec and zvhauto (option A) and still I get permission denied. The phone is not locked when I issue su command. i don't get a prompt on the phone. (With zvhrec the su command fails quickly. With zvhauto, it tries for 12 seconds before failing.)

Jim

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

are all the drivers installed on your computer for your phone? Do you have usb debugging turned on your phone?

jamesrsmith

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I do have the drivers installed. I can connect via USB and transfer files. Debugging was on and USB connect was disabled. Still no luck. I am using a Windows 7 machine.

Jim

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm not able to get my LG Optimus S phone rooted (LS670ZVH). I continue to get permission denied when i issue su command after adb shell. I have tried zvhrec and zvhauto (option A) and still I get permission denied. The phone is not locked when I issue su command. i don't get a prompt on the phone. (With zvhrec the su command fails quickly. With zvhauto, it tries for 12 seconds before failing.)
Well, zvhrec.zip, by itself doesn't give you persistent root, it just deals with stock recoveries. You actually need to followup with the zvhroot.zip package and run install-xionia.sh. If you followed that thread, post what you did and the output of the commands and I will take a look. If everything worked without error, that method will always give you root on your first try.

If you are using zvhauto.zip (the automated method in this read), it depends on an exploit that doesn't always hit, so it might not work on your first shot.

No w/r/t the symptoms you described, when you type "su" and it comes back right away, then it probably wasn't installed right.

If you type "su" and it takes 12 seconds before returning it is extremely likely it is asking for permissions. Keep in mind, if you type "su" first, then unlock the screen, you won't see the prompt. You MUST have the screen unlocked BEFORE typing "su"

I actually think you might not have had "su" installed properly with the zvhrec/zvhroot method, but did have it installed with the zvhauto method (but with the latter method, missed the prompt asking for permissions)

DeSaint2

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
LG Optimus S not rooting

trying to use the system but for some reason it gets to waiting for device to connect and never goes any further. I have all the drivers installed and usb debugging on usb storage off. I have tried bot the manual way and auto way. seems to be an issue with the adb shell not recognizing the device. I ran the adb shell command and get the error:device not found. Any thoughts?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG Optimus S not rooting

trying to use the system but for some reason it gets to waiting for device to connect and never goes any further. I have all the drivers installed and usb debugging on usb storage off. I have tried bot the manual way and auto way. seems to be an issue with the adb shell not recognizing the device. I ran the adb shell command and get the error:device not found. Any thoughts?
I suggest you reboot your PC and phone and try again.

Sometimes the PC can get into a state where it won't recognize your phone.

javascriptvoid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG Optimus S not rooting

I suggest you reboot your PC and phone and try again.

Sometimes the PC can get into a state where it won't recognize your phone.
same thing happened to me just reboot your phone