Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    DEVASTATOR

ROM
    Cool As Ice alpha 14

Default ROM Tweaking

Every now and then, I'll see a dev suggest changing something in build.prop or another file in their ROM. I've always been a bit skittish about that, mostly because I've never seen how one does it. Is it as simple as finding a file in the ROMs .zip archive, editing it, then repackaging the whole thing? What do I need to know about signatures? Tips, hints, instructions: give me any info that's helpful and handy!
    Android Powered Human

ROM
    Stock ROM / Rooted Kernel

Default Re: ROM Tweaking

I've found that it's easier to apply/flash the ROM, then use a notepad program to edit the build.prop. Just make sure of your file permissions when you go to edit the file or nothing will be saved. You can also use something like Root Explorer, I think it has a built in text editor. Be sure you know EXACTLY what you are editing and the expected result, as you don't want to change something and bork your phone and have to reflash. As always, save a copy first if you need to revert. And do a NAND backup also.

EDIT: Once the build.prop is edited and saved, reboot the phone for the changes to take effect.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    DEVASTATOR

ROM
    Cool As Ice alpha 14

Useful stuff. Others?
    Android Powered Human

ROM
    Stock ROM / Rooted Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Thraeryn View Post
    Useful stuff. Others?
    Another thing you can try would be to pull the file using ADB. This link has a walkthrough on using ADB to pull the file to your PC. It is really straight forward and goes step by step.

Someone else will have to chime in on other ways as those are the only 2 I know.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    jellybeanLIH leak

Quote Originally Posted by Thraeryn View Post
    Useful stuff. Others?
    you could also check out the xda threads,and try out some build prop tweaks there,most are flashable zips use with caution
    #sarcasm

ROM
    kraven CM9 / LeWa Alpha 3

I added the Supercharger script yesterday on my phone, it took all of 5 mins and all i used was ES File Explorer. Give it su permissions, mount /system as rw, edit the file, save it, unmount /system, reboot!
    Thanked by:
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by eletendre84 View Post
    I added the Supercharger script yesterday on my phone, it took all of 5 mins and all i used was ES File Explorer. Give it su permissions, mount /system as rw, edit the file, save it, unmount /system, reboot!
    what does a supercharger script do?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    DEVASTATOR

ROM
    Cool As Ice alpha 14

Better data speeds. thekraven posted the code in his CM9 thread, suggested someone give it a trial run.

Thanks to all the folks who provided info. I'll be using it pretty sparingly, but it's nice to know one more thing about my phone's workings.
    Last edited by Thraeryn; 04-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.