Alternative Unbrick Solutions?

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Had the phone rooted and on a CM7 ROM. One morning, after charging, I woke up to the phone looping on the LG startup splash. I've tried...

KP500
KDZ
LGMDP
LG Support Utility

...to restore to stock, with most displaying an error, or finishing without fixing the issue.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Brenda Moore

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently working the same problem on a LS670, with a logo to black screen brick.
I've been having the same luck so far. Trying all of the same programs, all with about the same result.
I thought I was getting somewhere for a minute when I saw something "new" on the phone screen, (caution downloading sign)
This was cool for a second until I saw that I still hadn't really gotten anywhere.
The biggest problem seems to really be that there is no way to "turn on" the USB debugging (or whatever they call it) so that the phone can "connect," or "accept," any of the software updates or flash programs.
The LG support tool seems to at least have some promise, but then again, I haven't found a KDZ yet that will successfully even make it through the loading procedure. (I think all I need is a good KDZ that will work right.)
I've already been out here for a while on this, and unfortunately, I have a feeling I'll be out here working on it for even a while longer. So if you hear of anything, please don't hesitate to message me and let me know. I'll do the same.
Good luck,
Policetac

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
thewraith420 and D33z,

Thanks for your help! I did try LGNPST before (and I just tried it again) but I receive a "number of bad block exceeded the limit" error at 28%.
I'm mostly just using the Optimus with WiFi, so 3G connectivity doesn't really matter at this point.

I have tried KDZ with both the ZV4 and ZV5 .cab files (and a number of other .cabs for that matter) but I can't seem to get any to complete successfully.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again for your help.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
thewraith420 and D33z,

Thanks for your help! I did try LGNPST before (and I just tried it again) but I receive a "number of bad block exceeded the limit" error at 28%.
I'm mostly just using the Optimus with WiFi, so 3G connectivity doesn't really matter at this point.

I have tried KDZ with both the ZV4 and ZV5 .cab files (and a number of other .cabs for that matter) but I can't seem to get any to complete successfully.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again for your help.

Regarding lgnpst did you use 1.3? I did run into a similar problem but it ended up being a problem with the computer I was on. Also I'd recommend setting up the administrator account the way Sammy described in the zvj guide. Maybe try from a different pc?

I've got no advice on kdz since I've never used it

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm well if I dig through my files a little I can probably upload the zv4 bin. Your phone is originally zv4 right?

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That there is a very good question. I originally had this phone with Republic Wireless, and the "About Phone" settings menu never displayed the baseband with their custom ROM.

D33z

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried the KDZ fix, but my patience ran out and it worked with LGNPST 1.3. I may have been originally on ZV5, but I know I flashed ZV4. What's the worst case scenario I'm in? Can I found out what originally came on my phone?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried the KDZ fix, but my patience ran out and it worked with LGNPST 1.3. I may have been originally on ZV5, but I know I flashed ZV4. What's the worst case scenario I'm in? Can I found out what originally came on my phone?

Zv4 on a zv5 phone won't have the right screen drivers. You could still use droid@screen to use the phone but I'd recommend reflashing with zv5 or running the zv9 update using droid@screen to guide you through it

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if zv4 flashed and the screen works, the worst thing is that the radio and PRL are 'old' but it still should work fine on the network. Might have to update the PRL, which is a PITA, but it's usually easier than reflashing the firmware.
zv4 has access to fastboot (the blue screen with cryptic letters people complain about crashing into) if you like development.

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your help.

Since lgnpst keeps showing a "number of Bad Block exceed the limit" error on any computer, it seems like the only way to restore the firmware is to repair the corrupt sectors of the NAND. Does anyone know a method of doing this?

Thanks!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your help.

Since lgnpst keeps showing a "number of Bad Block exceed the limit" error on any computer, it seems like the only way to restore the firmware is to repair the corrupt sectors of the NAND. Does anyone know a method of doing this?

Thanks!

Too bad Sammyz isn't around he used a different method to restore his v with Optimus u firmware but I don't know any of the details. He bricked it bad messing around with modifying firmware

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Issue resolved! It was the battery!
Apparently the phone didn't charge that fateful night, running down the battery completely.

I chained together 3 AA battteries, made sure the phone was connected via USB, and connected a Red/White AV cable to the +/- ends of the AA batteries and the prongs of the phone. The phone successfully started booting normally. When it progressed far enough along, it said "not enough charge to boot" or something like that. At that point I took out the cables and replaced the regular cell battery. It is now successfully charging.

Thanks everyone for your help in fixing the issue!

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Oops, apparently I am not out of the woods yet. At least I am no longer looping on the LG logo anymore!

After the battery finally finished charging, it started booting, showed a Virgin Mobile splash, and then went to a black screen. I tried KDZ with the same results.
I tried LGNPST again, and, it failed at 28%. Boot stops after the Sprint splash now. However, I do also have recovery. I tried flashing ZVD and ZVJ through recovery. They both complete successfully, but both still stop boot at the Sprint splash (no black screen though).

Hopefully this is the last hurdle in getting this fixed. Thanks!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you get to a VM or Sprint splash screen, the firmware itself should be installed correctly.
Try installing a ROM through recovery instead of a system update and see what happens.
I suggest Mirage as it's stable and has no issues with how new the phone is (newer [some ZV5, all newer Optimi]=different kernel video driver, old ROMs don't support it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress