Phone Apparently Bricked? Not rooted. LG Stylo 3.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an LG Stylo 3 that's something like 3 years old or so. I got it from MetroPCS and I'm currently with T-Mobile using another device. The LG Stylo 3 still worked even after we left MetroPCS and it worked fine.

Two days ago, I went to sleep and my phone was working until the morning I woke up. It was not turning on and nothing was out of the ordinary. I assumed my phone was dead (it was having battery problems because it was old) so I plugged in my charger and it was not giving me a battery icon to indicate that it was charging. I came to the conclusion that my phone needed a new battery, so I bought one that was compatible with my phone. It arrived the next day and I replaced the old battery with the new one. Then, it turned on. Immediately, I got a prompt giving instructions on how to enter fastboot mode. I couldn't force shut-down and I opted for removing the battery to turn the device off. I had read reviews about letting the battery die so that when you charge it, it can be full. To let it die, I kept it on for a couple of hours without the cover (which was probably a huge mistake) and came back to the screen still on fastboot instructions. I gave up on waiting for it to die, so I removed the battery. Now, trying to turn on the phone won't even give a fastboot prompt.

Things I have tried:

- I tried putting the old battery back in. No results.

- I tried charging the phone with each battery inside. No results.

- I plugged my phone into my laptop if I had to do ADB stuff. My phone is completely shut off, but it shows as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3) on "Bluetooth & Other Devices" in Windows, but I can't do anything to it. It recognizes my phone even without the battery, oddly enough.

Now I'm lost on what to do. My phone wasn't rooted or anything like that, otherwise I'd go through a tutorial on how to unbrick a rooted Android device. Any leads on how to resolve this situation? Thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Put the new battery into the phone. Plug in the charger. Leave it alone for at least 6 hours.

In the future, NEVER let the battery die - that's the fast way of destroying it if you're unlucky (and it kills about half the lifetime if you're not). Charge at 50%. If you can't charge by 40%, turn the phone off! (Lithium batteries are not deep discharge batteries.)

OminousRai

Jan 29, 2021
Visit site
Hello! I'm the OP of the post. Thank you for your reply! I apologize if this situation is a little confusing.

I did put in the new battery for my phone, and left it plugged in for about 6 to 7 hours. There is no signal that the phone charged, but the back felt a little warm. I'm tempted to take instructions as if my phone were bricked, but the phone was not bricked beforehand or installing anything before I removed the battery. I'm also tempted to drive a current through the battery contacts but I don't happen to have the tools for that. I'm a bit lost, and I think the primary error was leaving the cover off while I let the battery die. It didn't die; it heated the phone up, and I had to remove the battery to turn off the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello! I'm the OP of the post. Thank you for your reply! I apologize if this situation is a little confusing.

I did put in the new battery for my phone, and left it plugged in for about 6 to 7 hours. There is no signal that the phone charged, but the back felt a little warm. I'm tempted to take instructions as if my phone were bricked, but the phone was not bricked beforehand or installing anything before I removed the battery. I'm also tempted to drive a current through the battery contacts but I don't happen to have the tools for that. I'm a bit lost, and I think the primary error was leaving the cover off while I let the battery die. It didn't die; it heated the phone up, and I had to remove the battery to turn off the phone.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Does it have a removable battery or its was a sealed one ?

OminousRai

Jan 29, 2021
Visit site
The LG battery is replaceable, and it's the first time I've ever needed to replace it. It's a bit difficult to really understand what caused it to boot into that mode. I don't know if the problem is internal or external.