Alternative Unbrick Solutions?

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I keep trying to install a custom recovery (to install another ROM) through adb (while the phone sits at the sprint logo), but I keep receiving "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2)" error at just about every command. I did verify that adb detects the device.

I also tried
http://androidforums.com/optimus-s-...l-custom-recovery-so-easy-should-illegal.html
and it also threw the same errors when it tried to install the custom recovery.

EDIT: I'm getting that exec error at simple adb commands, such as adb shell. Some other users have reported such an issue when a ROM is not fully flashed. I guess that's the error I see during LGNPST at 28%. Strange that KDZ finishes at 100, but the outcome is the same as with LGNPST.

Any other solutions recommended?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I forgot, once you flash firmware, you're stuck with the stock recovery.
the error you're getting means the /system partition is empty or fragged. I don't remember if you can "adb push" busybox to /sbin or not and then symlink it to /system/bin/sh... adb push may not work either with the /system partition empty.
You might be able to use the stock recovery to flash the zv9 update and go from there.
hold volume down+home+power and don't let go of any of them until recovery starts up.
You'll have to put the zv9 update (or sprint zvH or whatever) on the card from another device, and with luck the stock recovery will flash it.
then you have to go through the rooting process... but if it works at least you'll be up and running again.

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've tried flashing ZVD and ZVJ from recovery with the phone still stalling on boot at the Sprint logo. ZV5 does the same but with the phone stalling on the VM logo.
I can use push and restart from adb, but that's about it. No adb shell, mount, or chmod (I receive that "exec" error)... otherwise I would have tried a custom recovery with a custom rom.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you can push, it's maybe possible to rename busybox as 'sh' and push it to /system/bin, which would let you in the shell to use flash_image and install a custom recovery to try putting on a rom...
Code:
adb push busybox /system/bin/sh
adb shell
to see if you can get in.
if it lets you in,
Code:
exit
and
Code:
adb push flash_image /system/bin/
adb push recovery.img /system/bin/
adb shell ./system/bin/flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img
but it's also possible that without an existing shell, the permissions of the pushed files won't allow running them, in which case my little tricks won't work.
also, /system may be a read-only directory in stock recovery even if not mounted, but it's worth a try.
busybox
flash_image

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Use stock recovery (you have access to?) to flash the zvd or zv9 update.zip depending on what kdz completed successfully. Then use the factory reset option in stock recovery and reboot

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I copied everything to the ADB folder, but when I try to execute the first command, I receive "failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/bin/sh': No such file or directory"

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I copied everything to the ADB folder, but when I try to execute the first command, I receive "failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/bin/sh': No such file or directory"

ugh, a catch-22.
can't mkdir or mount without busybox/toolbox, and adb requires that some form of sh (like busybox) be in the correct location. I don't know what to do with your issue... you may have to keep trying the pst tools until it gets a full flash through.
sorry, I'm out of ideas.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
If there's a working recovery be it stock or custom you shouldn't need to go back to the unbrick methods. After flashing an update.zip it's sometimes necessary to wipe the data and cache partitions. Not wiping them can land you in a bootloop

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have tried wiping both after flashing stock ZVD, ZVJ, etc... I still get the boot pause at the Sprint and VM logos.
Thanks everyone for your help... looks like I'm one of the first to have a complete brick with stock recovery still intact! ;0

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
U
Yes, I have tried wiping both after flashing stock ZVD, ZVJ, etc... I still get the boot pause at the Sprint and VM logos.
Thanks everyone for your help... looks like I'm one of the first to have a complete brick with stock recovery still intact! ;0

Hmm OK new plan of attack. Boot to stock recovery and use lgnpst to flash one of the available cab files for Zv4-5-d

Edit: zv5 preferably because it'll work with both screen versions and is actually VM firmware

Last edited:

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, LGNPST fails at 27% in emergency mode with any cab/computer/OS. I'll try with recovery mode.

UPDATE: LGNPST fails at 30% (same error as in e-mode) while starting with recovery.

Another forum (LG Optimus firmware. - Page 3) suggests trying the "full firmware" which should be ~600MB. Does anyone know if this is true and/or if there are links to download it?

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
From recovery you should be flashing a cab not bin with lgnpst.
If I had more time I'd team viewer with you to try and help but lately I just haven't got the time required. I can say though that the zv4 and 5 cabs are the only firmware I know of for this phone and the bins were extracted from the original cabs. Also doing an emergency mode bin flash leaves no traces of previous firmware... It's the only way to get the recovery buttons switched back once flashing sprint firmware on my v

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Also what firmware is 80mb? The zv4 cab I have is 97mb I can't see zv5 being much smaller but I'd have to find my copy to be sure

Edit:eek:k looked at all my files the zv5 cab is about 101mb and both zv4 and zv5 bin files are 341.6mb and zvd bin is 356mb soooo i think your lgnpst problem is you have a corupt download of the needed files. to confirm this post an md5 checksum of what files your using and i can check it against mine.

Last edited:

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Right, I was flashing a cab instead of the bin and getting the error at 30% not 27% as with the bin in e-mode.

That wasn't my post from another forum... I was just googling and found another user with the same issue on that forum.

These are the MD5s for the files I am using

LS670ZVD_12.SD_12.P60675.cab - 6bd5faf21acb951abb7e2c6e8ce39e7d

LS670ZVD_12.bin - c8581a2e4cb7c88045ed66c1799f7c0a

ZVD update.zip - 2db9b55305cff37a6b6e402fb8518acf

ZVJ update.zip - 305bf7cce30f66a947be845696d1122b

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
my zvd bin is
md5: 79dcdbc429b24d0c59dcd297ea01e046

i havent used mine recently but it did work the last time i needed it and its just sat on my hd. i dont have the zvd cab to compare

Edit: did you say yours is a vm670 or ls670?

Edit: and do you have a zv5 bin?

Last edited:

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It's an LS670 that's causing all of these issues. ;0

I do have a ZV5 bin, but I'm having trouble with LGNPST allowing me to flash it.
VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab - 683ece33ad70198d5cf0fcb5a7c1681d

I originally downloaded the ZVD bin here... http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/193485-guide-optimus-v-zvj.html
I tried downloading it again from there (I can't find it elsewhere) and still get my same MD5. Maybe you can post your ZVD bin somewhere for me to try?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well you need the vm670.dll to flash the VM firmware. But if you phones a ls670 probably better to just stick with the ls670 stuff. I'll try and find a place I can upload the zvd bin.... It's a pretty big file and I'm not sure where I can host it...

Edit: the zv5 cab md5 doesn't match mine either... Strange

Last edited:

jzee420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
My issue is similar, but with a couple differences. I've tried 3 other batteries from my friend's ls670s. It loops at different speeds depending on how dead the battery is + it does it with ANY of them. Anyone else agree there's a short or bad node somewhere on the board? Insight would be awesome cuz I'm bout to chuck this fu**ing thing into the stratosphere!!

sbush

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was trying with the VM dll, but LGNPST still wasn't accepting the firmware to flash.

For that ZVD bin... I don't know if your copy will help or not... flashing the bin in e-mode results in the same error as flashing the cab in recovery mode...

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was trying with the VM dll, but LGNPST still wasn't accepting the firmware to flash.

For that ZVD bin... I don't know if your copy will help or not... flashing the bin in e-mode results in the same error as flashing the cab in recovery mode...

I dunno.... Seems something is up both the zvd bin and ZV5 cab md5s don't match mine... I'm going to check the update.zips that you posted in a bit.. If those even say they flashed successfully the md5 should match mine.

edit: Confirmed, zvd update.zip matches mine. somethings off between your bin and mine and i'm assuming yours is corrupt some how because mine worked the last time i had to use it. i need to find a place to host the bin i have so you can try it. you should also be aware that even if we do get it unbricked with the bin it will zero all your nvitems unless..... you know your msl correct? use lgnpst to read the phone settings from recovery mode and then browse to the model/mtp folder you registered the dll in and look for the COM#.NVS file and save it. it can be used to restore everything. if there are more then one delete them read the settings again and save the newly regenerated one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty