LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

... it'd probably be OK to start a thread with pre-alpha WIP in the title

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
heh, the S and V forums are both pretty low-traffic anymore; there are flashable alphas and source code links.
I'm certain it'd be perfectly kosher, even back in the older days where the forum was hopping.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Alright I followed the directions exactly following the directions on the guide, and it gave me:
installing update
E:error in (address of the zip file)
(Status 6)
many blank lines down (hitting return)
Installation aborted

I also tried it using notepad++, and it gives me:
installing update
symlinks:some symlinks failed
E:error in (address of the zip file)
it line downs (hits return) a couple times, then gives
(status 7)

I'm going to take a break for a little while so I can clean my house before the wife gets home. I'll probably get back on tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for your help Skinbark
One last note, there is a Nexus ThunderKat rom, stupid people with your new phones and no sense of old school.
Can we make a second thunderkat ROM? Or maybe call it the Lion-O ROM

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

New build "alpha5": spontaneous reboots gone, sdcard unmounts and mounts properly, USB mass storage works, Apollo works (listening to music now), noticeably quicker, sideloading apks from sdcard with File Manager works.
https://app.box.com/s/x2d1796z0yuib5073q8y
Edit: still reboots but less often, I think I know what's happening - error messages need to be quashed

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

For best performance enable Kernel samepage merging, 16bit transparency, turn off Window animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale. I'm using SmartassV2 and 480-600mHz because my phone doesn't handle overclocking well and I want to rule out overclocking as a factor in testing but I'm seeing some decent responsiveness with this build using above settings.

Last edited:

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

The issues with not loading are gone with this version! We're back in business and back to trying to get phone signals working.
Definitely improved! Just so everyone knows, you can set your boot to recovery back into the power menu options through the developer options.
You access dev options by tapping build number 7 times, then going back a menu and dev options has appeared. Freaky weird/fun!
Still working to get phone online. Now the phone status is flashing No Radio/Out of Service. I'm going to play with patches and radios, see if I can find any leads.
Skin Bark, is there a particular radio that you've written into the code? Or perhaps a radio listed for whatever base you used to build from? I feel like I'm close to an epiphany.

Last edited:

anon(793715)

May 19, 2012
Visit site

As one of the remaining OV users, I can't wait to see how this works. I don't have the resources to build, but it's inspiring to see the progress you're making.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

The issues with not loading are gone with this version! We're back in business and back to trying to get phone signals working.
Definitely improved! Just so everyone knows, you can set your boot to recovery back into the power menu options through the developer options.
You access dev options by tapping build number 7 times, then going back a menu and dev options has appeared. Freaky weird/fun!
Still working to get phone online. Now the phone status is flashing No Radio/Out of Service. I'm going to play with patches and radios, see if I can find any leads.
Skin Bark, is there a particular radio that you've written into the code? Or perhaps a radio listed for whatever base you used to build from? I feel like I'm close to an epiphany.
Do you have adb on your computer? I'm thinking a logcat might provide some info. Turn on usb debugging in dev. options if you haven't yet.
Honestly I haven't done anything with it as far as configuring the RIL, I've just been working on getting the android software to work. As I said, no
phone service makes it pretty much impossible to test anything myself. But we'll get it figured out one way or another. Hopefully someone else with service will try it out and let us know whether they're getting service.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

My computer has adb working, and my current stable ROM is able to work with it. Somewhere in ThunderKat it's not communicating with ADB. I'm going to shut down for now, since I'm going to call my wife soon :) Been a long days work. I think I'm going to try comparing various files in my current ROM and see if there's any setting I can transfer over regarding gsm/CDMA/RIL working.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

My computer has adb working, and my current stable ROM is able to work with it. Somewhere in ThunderKat it's not communicating with ADB. I'm going to shut down for now, since I'm going to call my wife soon :) Been a long days work. I think I'm going to try comparing various files in my current ROM and see if there's any setting I can transfer over regarding gsm/CDMA/RIL working.

Since you are on the zvj baseband, Try copying over just the 3 zvj patch files in the system/library directory only from the nightstalkr patcher. And if you are on virgin, you will need to do the Virgin build.prop edits and eri.xml in the framework-res.apk.

Last edited:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Well its definitely improved since the first build I flashed. I'll get more excited when there's WiFi working

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Updates galore. I found out that you can actually dirty flash it pretty easily. It actually has a booting readout that says it's updating media and whatnot. I came from my stable AOKP ICS ROM. I flashed the alpha 5 zip, and it kept a lot of my apps onboard (mostly the google ones). I haven't gotten any further with the service being fixed, but i found a fun easter egg. If you click three times on your android version in about phone, a big white K comes up. if you spin the K around a couple of times, it opens up a Kit Kat image.

I'm thinking the best route would be potentially to backup my EFS file/folder from my working ICS ROM, then try to restore the EFS after booting into the alpha. I've reached a dead end trading between ZVJ/D radios. I haven't tried ZVH, but I tend to doubt that would work anyway. It's beyond my pay grade (read: understanding) to try and get this baseband thing working. If anyone has tools/suggestions that I can play with in terms of EFS or basebands, let me know.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm fixin to explore the framework.jar's and framework-res.apk of the zip using APK-Multi-Tool to extract and decompile them. If you need the Linux version let me know (the link to it is dead).

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

androidarmv6 found the problem that was causing the crash in 4.4.2 so I uploaded a new rom built from the latest, greatest sources. media and acore errors are gone, working camera, stability and performance improvements. Use File Manager to install apks from sdcard.
https://app.box.com/s/x2d1796z0yuib5073q8y
excellent info!
yay, now I can build something that will boot.
didn't wanna mess with the version tags.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

excellent info!
yay, now I can build something that will boot.
didn't wanna mess with the version tags.
Just so you know, the changes necessary to make a working rom haven't been merged yet. I applied the fixes manually. There's a few things that aren't in the device folders yet related to sdcard mounting, and a couple files in dalvik that need to be edited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678