[ROM][MOD][4.4.2][EXPERIMENTAL] KitKat OS2SD

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
CM11 KitKat OS2SD Version:

This thread is for questions and discussion of issues that pertain to the OS2SD version of CM11 for the LS670/VM670.
For info and discussion on non-os2sd issues and the regular version of CM11 go here.

cm-11-20140104-thunderc-sd.zip is a full version of CM11 with all (working) apps included.
To use this version:
1) create and format 3 ext4 partitions following the fat32 partition on your sd card (use gparted not a windows partitioning tool)
a) /data - at least 256 mb (512 mb or more recommended)
b) /system - at least 256 mb
c) /cache - at least 256 mb​
2) format /boot in cwm
3) install cm-11-20140104-thunderc-sd.zip
4) install Skinny_4.4_Gapps-sd.zip and reboot

Known Issues (in addition to those listed in the regular cm11 thread):

Certain apps won't install to the sd-ext data partition
formatting/backup/restore issues
possible reduced performance
possible reduced battery life

Add wipe zips to a folder on your sd card and flash them from recovery to clear external /data, /system, /cache, or all three.
CWM_6.0.4.6-thunderc-sd.zip is a special version of CWM for os2sd that should only be used if you understand how it works.This version of CWM is not necessary to flash the os2sd rom. See this post for more info about recovery issues with this rom.
A Class 10 microSD card is recommended for best performance.
Power off or reboot to recovery before removing sd card.

OS2SD mod courtesy of bigsupersquid (awesome dev!)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dj2d4vpp0hzvb/CM11sd
Warning: This is a highly experimental setup and a work-in-progress. You should have adb installed and know how to use it, along with the flash_image command, before attempting this install. If you have trouble installing this and are unsure how to resolve the problem ask for help on this thread. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, data loss or any other damages resulting from the use of this software. USE AT YOUR RISK.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Discussions of dual-boot experimentation and alternative installers such as Aroma Installer and fake flash are also on topic for this thread.

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Since I've already been testing the OS2SD version, I'll start posting here when I report observations. And for what it's worth, I think the Aroma installer would be ideal for this.

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll claim this post for the fakeflash recovery.
version 1.0

here's my post from the other thread.

I'll repost it again here.

The concept of fakeflash recovery is courtesy of Koush, like CWM proper. Thanks!
Dunno if it matters, I got the fakeflash to work. it uses the ext partition fstabs and recovery binary from the sd-recovery.
If you flash it you have to "adb kill-server' before adb will connect to recovery again. reboot into recovery and it's the original one. this does NOT overwrite the recovery partition.
meant for the skinbark-non-sd recovery only, probably won't work right with other recoveries.
View attachment 100042
it flashed the OP sd version ok.
it did not back up or restore internal /system or /data or /cache. instead it backs up and restores the ext partitions, like it should for what it is.
it does not handle MTD partition restores or flashes (well, except the boot partition.)
Reboot into the other recovery for those.
You may have to reboot recovery twice... watch the color to be sure which version is running. Orange, standard cwm. Red, fakeflash-sd-cwm.
This is experimental for evaluation purposes.
Don't gripe if it gives you trouble, instead, give useful data to fix it. You'll be guided to what info to post. Like the 2nd post says, you should have adb installed and a clue how to use it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't imagine the rPi hardware is very different from the Opti. A little newer?
I thought it is same SoC, msm7627, but it's just another armv6k.
I still haven't put any time into their X driver though it's very interesting. Qualcomm's Android adreno200 drivers are annoying binary blobs, but it's their source for the HWA X (xf86-video-msm) driver that the rpi repo has compiled for armv6khf. The regular source is contaminated with neon crud but the rpi people excised it in their source.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to find a way to make OS2SD work without needing a special boot.img, I mean something where you could set an option in a file on /system (build.prop?) and init would check it and use different rc scripts and fstab depending on which option is selected. This might allow us to do dual-boot as well and give more flexibility on which partitions get mounted. Maybe generating an fstab on-the-fly based on options the user selects. I guess it might involve adding to or overwriting files in the ramdisk with files from the internal /system partition so init has the scripts for the os since I assume there can be only one ramdisk.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
One thing I kept forgetting to report, but not a huge deal. My clock has never lagged on this Rom. Ever.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to find a way to make OS2SD work without needing a special boot.img, I mean something where you could set an option in a file on /system (build.prop?) and init would check it and use different rc scripts and fstab depending on which option is selected. This might allow us to do dual-boot as well and give more flexibility on which partitions get mounted. Maybe generating an fstab on-the-fly based on options the user selects. I guess it might involve adding to or overwriting files in the ramdisk with files from the internal /system partition so init has the scripts for the os since I assume there can be only one ramdisk.
init.*.rc can run scripts.
If it uses one on /system that could handle what you're talking about.
I've had no luck changing the ramdisk for other partitions during pre-init, it just reboots immediately without telling me anything useful.
One thing I kept forgetting to report, but not a huge deal. My clock has never lagged on this Rom. Ever.

Mine only did the one time it made me late for work. But, earlier in that day, clock crashed and restarted while messing with the alarms. I didn't reboot. Thus my problem, most likely. Clock wasn't syncing at all but everything else was running fine. After rebooting it told me I'd missed my alarm (duh.)

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If init can import rc scripts off of /system or /data then we should be able to select which partitions get mounted and which android installation gets loaded (I think). Or a script could be executed in init.rc before the import statements which overwrites the init.*.rc before they get imported by init.rc.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are correct. Use the sysinit (init.d script runner) line style and file format for any script you want to run.
a manual mount of /system or /data to pull a config file should work, then run a script to copy the appropriate fstab to the ramdisk, unmount the partition just used, and mount_all afterwards.
Most likely would need the config set before boot, doubt it's easy to get user input (or output anywhere but logcat or dmesg) before anything is initialized.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly it's working on p500 so I guess it's specific to this port.

OK. It's probably something minor because the headset is detected and identified correctly - it just never completes the pairing process and gives up after a while. The headset does remain on the list of bluetooth devices.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang