Page 1 of 26 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [How-To] Root LG Optimus S

The new rooting instructions can be found http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...works-too.html

WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

As my prediction above stated ......
    WARNING WARNING!!! Sprint is pushing out an updated named LS670ZVC starting on 2/7/2011. This update breaks this root process. Open Menu > Settings > about phone > if SW Version = LS670ZVC then this process will not work for you. WARNING WARNING!!!

Notice: There is now an application available called z4root which roots your phone using the same method detailed below. This has been confirmed to work on the Optimus line. Click THIS for more information. I feel the knowledge gained by doing this process yourself rather than a 1-click method will prove to be invaluable down the road if/when you encounter any issues but either way works.

To MAC users: Please see THIS POST by mfldmike to get you going.

For those who learn visually,

Complete Idiots guide to Rooting the Optimus S can be found HERE. Thanks Dishe.

What You'll Need:
    - Sun JRE,
    - The Android SDK, . Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android
    - Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
    - And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 3 files inside in your android-sdk-windows\tools folder created from installing the SDK.

/\You need to have installed/done all of the stuff in the "what you'll need" section. From this point on I'll assume you've done that./\

This method has been confirmed on V6, V8, and V9 versions of the Optimus S software.
    Ready?:
    Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Launch the SDK manager, should be something like C:/Android-sdk-windows SDK Manager

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:
    cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\tools however in the new SDK the correct directory would be "Platform Tools", and not just "tools". See what you have on your directory)
    adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell
    chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./rageagainstthecage (let things sit a couple minutes (2), your phone will disconnect from the computer and you'll be removed from your ADB session)
    adb shell This should return a "#" symbol instead of a "$" symbol. If it does you're good. If not go back and start from the beginning of step 4
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./busybox cp su /system/bin
    ./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox
    exit
    exit

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD.

Donations:
    What I ask is, if this helps you root, tweak, or modify your phone, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone

gbhil - as always thanks, you rock rainman lol.
    - Without your exploit many phones would not be rooted today.
    iamlilysdad - for making the walkthrough video and sticking around and providing so much support for new users during this process.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 04-24-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 86:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    dreamframer likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Everything in this post assumes you've successfully rooted your phone.
    Now what?:

-Memory Management -
    The optimus has not so great lowmemory settings. This will improve that.
    1) Download the free app from the market called "Minfreemanager" (free)
    2) Launch the app and you'll notice the following numbers:
    6, 8, 16, 20, 22, 24

For an explanation of what these numbers mean GO HERE and read an excellent in-depth explanation by Jerry Hildenbrand

3) From inside Minfreemanager hit the menu button and select "presets". Because you have a second gen device, you can select "aggressive" without a care in the world.
    4) After selecting aggressive the numbers should now reflect
    6, 8, 16, 32, 64, 96
    5) Press the menu button and select "apply"
    NOTE - This is not a sticky change and even if you select "apply at boot" it will not work. Every time the device is rebooted you will need to open the minfreemanager app and re-apply the aggressive setting but this should keep you're phone running like butter

-Cache Management-
    Android has a tendency to cache everything it seems like. Now you can reclaim that space.
    There are 2 really great cache cleaning apps for rooted users. CacheMate for root users and Cachecleaner. Both can be obtained for free but cacheMate for root users has a paid version which gives you much much more customization and caches available to be cleaned. Also i prefer the free version of CacheMate over the free version Cachecleaner because it lets you pick which caches you'd like deleted, cachecleaner does not. Thats just a preference of mine.

Custom Recovery
    If you're planning on flashing ROMs or kernels you're going to need a custom recovery. Hopefully you didnt take the z4root shortcut cause guess what? Thats right .... bust out ADB and go HERE

Flash a ROM
    Assuming you have a custom recovery (see above) maybe you'll want to flash a ROM. Beezy and myself are proud to introduce the first custom ROM for the Optimus S, ThundeROM!

Enabling JIT, Stagefright, or both
    If you flash ThundeROM, you already will have JIT and stagefright enabled which will make your phone perform even faster! But maybe you want to stick with the stock ROM but still want JIT and Stagefright ... what to do what to do? Alright, HERE YOU GO. Flashable buildprops with JIT and stagefright. You must have a custom recovery to do this.

Reminder about Donations:
    What I ask is, if this helps you root, tweak, or modify your phone, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 12-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Thanked by 32:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    thmper likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Way to go ksmith its nice to see mid level phones getting some support too.

Keep it up!
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Woot, I just got mine today from Radio Shack

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Ok, attached file isn't working. Got an alternate link for it? I can mirror it if needed.

Ok, it was Chrome causing the issue. Mirrored at
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    Ok, attached file isn't working. Got an alternate link for it? I can mirror it if needed.

Ok, it was Chrome causing the issue. Mirrored at
    It was an androidcentral issue i think. I deleted the zip, reattached same zip and now it works

cheers
    jetvr6 likes this.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Hmm, oh well. A mirror is always good. Just gotta get my Airave back on its line so I can put the Optimus S on mine.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the writeup, KSmith!

I hit a snag whenever I have Superuser check for an update to su. It finds a newer binary, but then spits out:

"Automatic update failed
    An error occurred and su was not updated. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on your sdcard, please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update your su binary."

I would adb push the su from Droid2Root.rar but I don't know where android keeps its su (by parallel to *nix, it should be in /usr/local/bin, but I don't know). Should I instead reboot into recovery or is there a faster way?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by hephaestus View Post
    Thanks for the writeup, KSmith!

I hit a snag whenever I have Superuser check for an update to su. It finds a newer binary, but then spits out:

"Automatic update failed
    An error occurred and su was not updated. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on your sdcard, please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update your su binary."

I would adb push the su from Droid2Root.rar but I don't know where android keeps its su (by parallel to *nix, it should be in /usr/local/bin, but I don't know). Should I instead reboot into recovery or is there a faster way?
    I want to see if yours is an isolated incident or not but it's a really easy fix. Don't worry

I don't wanna lengthen the instructions until i hear back from someone else to see if they have the same issue

EDIT - Do me a favor, try doing busybox through titanium first then try the SU binary through the superuser app
    Thanked by:

Okay, great. If you want to tighten up the instructions even more, you could include the default directory name for android sdk:

cd C:/android-sdk-windows/tools

and also condense the next few steps to:

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp/; chmod 4755 rage; ./rage

This way, if 743C's exploit doesn't work the first time around, it's easier to re-run the commands because they're daisy chained.

Have you had any success with installing the flash 10.1 apk?
    Thanked by 5:

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    EDIT - Do me a favor, try doing busybox through titanium first then try the SU binary through the superuser app
    I tried this, but Superuser spit out the same error.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Okay, great. If you want to tighten up the instructions even more, you could include the default directory name for android sdk:

cd C:/android-sdk-windows/tools
    Not everyone uses that path. Me, for example, does not use that file path (I'm android\tools). If i were to put that path and thats not the users path and they don't have the foresight to catch it, it could cause confusion.

and also condense the next few steps to:

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp/; chmod 4755 rage; ./rage
    Good suggestion, i could certainly do that but I'm more concerned right now with getting feedback on if it works for everyone. Once I have that I can certainly make changes.

Have you had any success with installing the flash 10.1 apk?
    Haven't tried yet, I've been fairly busy with other stuff and flash is very low on my list right now. Have a crack at it and see what you get. Take something off my plate please

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Is there a recovery for the Optimus S so we can load aps2sd and stuffs?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Try this. Download attached zip and put su and busybox binary in tools directory

adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /data/local/tmp
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox
    busybox --install /system/bin
    exit
    exit
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 11-07-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

KSmith, this worked!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

KSmith, this worked!
    Awesome! I've been trying to edit the first post but were experiencing technical difficulties right now.

Step 6: (optional) Go back to the market and download "Titanium Backup" (free version). Do the following:
    -Open the titanium Backup application after it downloads
    -grant it Super User permission
    -You should have a pop-up screen in front of you and one of the buttons on the bottom should say "problems". Click that.
    -You can now delete titanium backup although the developer is a great guy and we recommend you consider purchasing the full app.
    May I ask what's the purpose of step 6? Thanks!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by ws1088 View Post
    May I ask what's the purpose of step 6? Thanks!
    To ensure the busybox binary installed is the most recent. I will not continue to update the zip as advances are made. Jol on the other hand keeps his application up to date. The superuser.apk from chains will keep the SU binary up to date. Titanium will keep the busybox up to date. Remember, just because you're rooting today and the busybox is up to date, doesn't mean someone won't use these instructions 6 months from now at which time there may be an update

"Hope for the best, plan for the worst"

Cheers

EDIT - For now because i am using the most recent busybox I'm just going to remove that. Because I will be working on a ROM team (yes, all you AC-ROM folks) I will know if anything changes. If it does I'll just throw step 6 back up .... or I could not be lazy and update the zip if anything changes lol. I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 11-06-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Thanked by:
    eworks 

EDIT - For now because i am using the most recent busybox I'm just going to remove that. Because I will be working on a ROM team (yes, all you AC-ROM folks) I will know if anything changes. If it does I'll just throw step 6 back up .... or I could not be lazy and update the zip if anything changes lol. I'll figure it out.
    Thanks alot. The fact that you are onboard on Optimus S make me really wants to get this phone!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Hey All .... were having some technical difficulties which are preventing me from updating the first post. When those issues are corrected i will delete this post and edit the first.

What You'll Need:
    - Sun JRE,
    - The Android SDK, . Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android
    - Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
    - And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 3 files inside in your android/tools folder created from installing the SDK.

/\You need to have installed/done all of the stuff in the "what you'll need" section. From this point on I'll assume you've done that./\

Ready?:
    Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Launch the SDK manager, should be something like C:/Android-sdk-windows SDK Manager

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:
    cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:/android/tools)
    adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    adb shell
    chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./rageagainstthecage (let things sit a couple minutes (2), your phone will disconnect from the computer and you'll be removed from your ADB session)
    adb shell This should return a "#" symbol instead of a "$" symbol. If it does you're good. If not go back and start from the beginning of step 4
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /data/local/tmp
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox
    busybox --install /system/bin
    exit
    exit

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD.

gbhil - as always thanks, you rock rainman lol.
    I never get the # prompt, tried 3 times now. Could it be due to me launching the SDK Manager from the command prompt?

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

yeah, for some reason it doesn't like it if you launch the sdk from the command line and leave that command prompt open. worked the 4th time

i love it so far, much faster than my hero (even w/ the hero running at 698mhz)

now to figure out how to get a2sd support
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

yeah, for some reason it doesn't like it if you launch the sdk from the command line and leave that command prompt open. worked the 4th time

i love it so far, much faster than my hero (even w/ the hero running at 698mhz)
    Sweet, glad to hear you're rooted.

If this tutorial helps you root your phone please keep an eye on the thread and help others who may need assistance. I don't ask for financial donations but i do humbly accept people donating their time to help others

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Sweet, glad to hear you're rooted.

If this tutorial helps you root your phone please keep an eye on the thread and help others who may need assistance.

I don't ask for financial donations but i do humbly accept people donating their time to help others
    I will do my best. I'm just sad that I lost one App I use all the time (paid even) and that I can't load Apps2SD or my battery tweak yet.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I will do my best. I'm just sad that I lost one App I use all the time (paid even) and that I can't load Apps2SD or my battery tweak yet.
    You didn't lose it, the market hasn't been made live for the device yet. Check again tomorrow Protected apps won't show up until then. I have a few missing as well but as soon as i wake up tomorrow BAM!!!! They'll be back.

Happens to all us folks that get an android device before launch date.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

You didn't lose it, the market hasn't been made live for the device yet. Check again tomorrow Protected apps won't show up until then. I have a few missing as well but as soon as i wake up tomorrow BAM!!!! They'll be back.

Happens to all us folks that get an android device before launch date.
    Then how do I have two of my protected apps already?
Page 1 of 26 1234 ... LastLast