ARCHIVED: [Custom Recovery] Optimus S/ Thunderc-sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

drellisdee

ROM Developer
Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Updated recovery 5/05/11: Fixed & and updated many issues. Will work on all device lcd panels both novatek & hitachi

Ra-2.2.1-GNM

Its very hard for me to keep up with posts all over so questions/comments in this thread will not be monitored all the time by me.

Lets start the custom roms!!

393512721.jpg

To use copy flash_image and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img to the root of your sdcard.

To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # shell

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

# reboot recovery
Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is vol_down + home + power and release keys at LG splash.

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : runs a nandroid backup of data, cache, boot, system
Nand Backup + .android secure : backs up above plus .android_secure on sdcard (froyo native apps on sd)
Nand + ext backup : data, cache, system, boot, plus apps2sd on ext partition (old style apps2sd)
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes data & cache
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3 (requires kernel support for ext3)
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (requires kernel support for ext4)

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix apk uid mismatches
Move recovery log to SD
Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery

Recovery Key mapping:
Up & down : vol-up and vol-down
Select : Menu
Backup : Back

Thanks to :
zefie for dumps
Amon_Ra for his awesome source and a few pointers. His original Source Link
Worstenbrood's desire recovery Link

Donators Thank You List:
None Yet

Donation link to Buy me an Energy Drink is below:
Donation Link

Download-recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s.1.1.0.img.zip
Md5 = 6e1afcbcebda3adda43aa76a408ec705

BRICK WARNING DO NOT FLASH A RADIO.IMG WITH RECOVERY
My Github Source Link

Last edited:

dvine1

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps above both via adb push and downloading files to sd card. When I go into recovery mode I am not given the option to install from sd card, only the following choices:

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip (which does not exist on my sdcard)
wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache partition

Recovery mode does not give me the option to flash from sdcard like the example shown in post above. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps above both via adb push and downloading files to sd card. When I go into recovery mode I am not given the option to install from sd card, only the following choices:

reboot system now
apply sdcard: update.zip (which does not exist on my sdcard)
wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache partition

Recovery mode does not give me the option to flash from sdcard like the example shown in post above. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

that's LG's recovery, so you lost the custom recovery. Did you remove the install-recovery.sh?

dvine1

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if I did or not :) I just followed thr steps above. How is that file removed? Man, my EVO was a breeze to root, but this phone is weird (smh)!!!

drellisdee

ROM Developer
Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if I did or not :) I just followed thr steps above. How is that file removed? Man, my EVO was a breeze to root, but this phone is weird (smh)!!!

this step renames that file

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

dvine1

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Just went back into adb and now I'm getting the $ instead of # but the phone still seems to be rooted. Do I need to re-root or how can i get to the # prompt and insert this command line?

dvine1

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
@kalex1114: ur post worked, thanks!
@drellisdee: I went into adb and typed: mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

Booted phone into recovery mode and still got lg recovery screen!

ichihollow

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The author of this post(ichihollow) is an idiot, everyone please remember to EXTRACT BOTH FILES to the root of your sd card, just copying the files you download from this post is not enough the contents of both zips MUST be extracted to the root of the sd.

again i'm pretty much an idiot at this point, or at least feel like it.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The author of this post(ichihollow) is an idiot, everyone please remember to EXTRACT BOTH FILES to the root of your sd card, just copying the files you download from this post is not enough the contents of both zips MUST be extracted to the root of the sd.

again i'm pretty much an idiot at this point, or at least feel like it.

No, you're not an idiot. It's a simple mistake that anyone can make. Hopefully you'll keep an eye on this thread now and assist someone in the future who also has the same problem.

Cheers and congrats on the custom recovery!!!

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
ok so...

Custom recovery :: check
ThundeROM installed to root of SD ::check
Backup :: :(

When i go to do a backup it gives me this: "Error: run 'nanadroid-mobile.sh' via adb!" Ideas? or what am i doing wrong?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I was able to create nandroid backup from the recovery screen with no issues. Do you have enough space on the sd card to hold backup? Its about 170MB in size

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I was able to create nandroid backup from the recovery screen with no issues. Do you have enough space on the sd card to hold backup? Its about 170MB in size

Yeah no prob there, 2gb of freshly formatted card. i did the most extensive backup the last one before "backup google prop..." but when i do any of the other three it works fine. :confused:

all ive got on the card is ThundeROM now

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The only backup you need is the very first one called nand backup. The others are for people who are using ext partitions on their SD for data and apps or people who may be running CM stuff and need to backup gaps due to the proprietary crap and CM not allowed to include them.

backing up nand will grab everything in system and everything in data.

Reactions: Kalums

drellisdee

ROM Developer
Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The only backup you need is the very first one called nand backup. The others are for people who are using ext partitions on their SD for data and apps or people who may be running CM stuff and need to backup gaps due to the proprietary crap and CM not allowed to include them.

backing up nand will grab everything in system and everything in data.

android_secure will back up the stock froyo apps on sd so they will be restored too with nandroid without it you wont restore your apps on sd if .android_secure is wiped on sdcard.

The gapps backup is way outdated and I'll update if someone wants to give me a tested list of all the needed proprietary google stuff for optimus. The gapps backup backs up to /cache fyi not to sdcard

sammyesb

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
i am so confused,

Am I suppose to install andriod SDK to get the shell?

also once I am inside shell it doesnt locate any of the files...

sammyesb

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
sorry ignore my last post..

I am now using a mac because connecting to PC wont work anymore (it says i need to install a driver)

Anyway in terminal i get the error mount: exec /System/Library/Filesystems/yaffs2.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_yaffs2 for /System: No such file or directory

Am I suppose to copy paste the entire command prompt?

Did I make the mistake of rooting my phone first before doing this custom recovery?

I am sorry for sounding like a total noob. I am able to build PC's, install/repair and I know about dos, but when it comes to andriod this is completely new to me. I also have a feeling I am missing some steps from this tutorial but I could be wrong.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.