hd video recording?

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Probably for the same reason they didnt make the cpu run at 768, maybe because its not completely stable, or the camera will wear out faster, or maybe the phone would run as smooth, meaning the phone would get bad reviews or bad comments,...

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The qualcomm chip in the opt s is a MSM7627. This is a budget oriented processor (although it's surprisingly quick given it's modest specs) and in the interest of keeping costs down qualcomm probably left hd video processing out of this chipset.

I know when this question came up in the past I was searching for info and ran across the palm pixi which uses the same chip. In the specs for that phone they mention that the chip supports a max of WVGA video capture. I also checked other phones w the same chip and none of them supported hd video. However, I couldn't find the official qualcomm spec sheet for the processor that specifically stated the chips capabilities so I don't have definitive proof that hd is not possible.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I just suggest that you start by researching the sensor and chipset capabilities before you spend much time on software.

EDIT: Thanks picasticks... I couldn't find the spec sheet.

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
The Droid Incredible was upgraded with 2.2 from 2.1 last september and when they did it it then got 720 hd capable recording. It has a 1ghz snapdragon too.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The incredible has the QSD8650 chip which is (or at least was) the highest end qualcomm smartphone chip of it's day. The chip in the opt s is targeted at midrange smartphones and has a features set that reflects that fact.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
maybe flashing or somehow installing a different encoder to the chip, because the only real problem is the chip, because cpu speed isn't a problem, because they have phones on the same chip that can record 720x480, which is still better than nothing, 480p...

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: Thanks picasticks... I couldn't find the spec sheet.

YW, and yeah those things are hard to track down! Here's a link to the 7600 data sheet.

People need to remember that even though our phone came out late last year, the MSM76xx cpu is only ARMv6 and it's an old design, that's why it's a budget phone (in fact, the copyright line on the data sheet is 2006!). It sucks to buy a new phone and realize it won't run Flash or Firefox, but it is what it is.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
We will all get hd phones soon, when theyre $100 n our one year upgrades are available...i think its still possible but, its probably way too complicated, tweaking hardware, oh well, ill see u guys on the evo 4g or evo 3d forums, in a year..

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
No harm taken, we need a dev that knows how to work with that stuff, im willing to donate $10 to whoever makes it possible for either 480p or 720p(if its possible), maybe if more ppl donate too, we can get motivate a dev to work on this...

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I know just changing the build.prop doesn't work and lgcamera(app) wont record in higher resolutions. We probably wont have much luck changing the video encoder, but i have seen people talking about the audio quality on videos and trying to change it. I know the aac encoder so library is on our phone. If we could still have a higher resolution mp4(h263) with aac audio that'd be cool. the video is already coming out at 1700-2000kbps so would upping the resolution bog our little phone down and just give us a jerky mess?

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should have been more clear when I posted the specs. This is not possible. Well, not without tearing your phone apart and soldering in a different CPU and camera sensor!

The chipset supports hardware encoding at VGA res, 30 fps only.

It's not remotely possible to do the encoding in software given the camera sensor and cpu. And, even if it *were* possible, you'd have to write a totally new hardware kernel driver.

Think of your PC ... you can have a 4 GHz machine with 16G of RAM, but if your video card is from 1988 and it only supports 640x480, that's all you get. Well, the MSM76xx is an all-in-one cellphone chip but the principle is the same, and there's no video encoding mode above VGA res. This is like asking why your DVD player can't play blu-ray discs.

I'm not trying to shatter anyone's dream, just be helpful so we can focus our hacking energies on things that are actually doable.

Reactions: mrgay

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should have been more clear when I posted the specs. This is not possible. Well, not without tearing your phone apart and soldering in a different CPU and camera sensor!

The chipset supports hardware encoding at VGA res, 30 fps only.

It's not remotely possible to do the encoding in software given the camera sensor and cpu. And, even if it *were* possible, you'd have to write a totally new hardware kernel driver.

Think of your PC ... you can have a 4 GHz machine with 16G of RAM, but if your video card is from 1988 and it only supports 640x480, that's all you get. Well, the MSM76xx is an all-in-one cellphone chip but the principle is the same, and there's no video encoding mode above VGA res. This is like asking why your DVD player can't play blu-ray discs.

I'm not trying to shatter anyone's dream, just be helpful so we can focus our hacking energies on things that are actually doable.
great post

Last edited:

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea u cant make a camera take a higher res that it was DEVELOPED to handle. I think just cuz apple did this.. this shows they put a piece of HARDWARE in that was capable of running higher than it was released as... just one persons opinion.. Mission Impossible.. aah I head the theme music now...

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
camera isnt the problem, lets got that clear, you can view 1280x720, recording is something else, the cpu is the problem,..i get what yall mean, but i swear i read a post about a phone with the same proccesor recording at 720x480,...