Best way to get hotspot to work after Sprint update killed it?

frannn

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For months I've been dodging the Sprint update that kills the free Optimus S hotspot widget. It finally got me yesterday, and updated by mistake. I would really love to get this functional again, to watch Netflix and surf on my Nook and Ipod using the phone as a modem. I'm not looking to root and am a big newbie. Is the best, safest, easiest, and cheapest solution to use Pdanet, Easytether, revert back to VC, or something else? I was going to try to revert, but I'm nervous I'm going to brick my phone. I also can't figure out how to backup my phone/sd card/apps to the PC (Windows XP) without rooting. Which option is best, and how to backup first (if necessary)? :confused:

viper8u2

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best way to get hotspot to work after Sprint update killed it

been searching for the last hour here also

I helped a friend root his Sprint Optimus phone running 2.2.2

Did the Gingersnap method and it rooted in about 5 minutes

checked superuser and its all there. Tried wireless tether and it would only show ad-hoc

Tried the built in hotspot and it kept kicking out saying it could not setup

I was bouncing in and out of signal though so not sure if its the stock rom or the signal

He is going to try when he gets home, Should this work?

Thanks

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I think your second post would be more appropriate in the rom and hacks section.

If you're running reborn, there is a widget included with the rom. It wont work by default with the stock rom so you will need reborn or another rom. Using a cm7 port you can access the hotspots in the normal settings menu which is where I think you've been looking anyway. Lol. But flash a rom and the hotspots work.

burkett1974

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site

I have to agree with Basketthis. I was scared of bricking my phone by running a rom as well, but the Sprint update kind of forced me to finally take a chance and put a rom on the phone. I went with the Reborn rom and was extremely pleased that I did. It was pretty simple once I read through the posts a couple of times. A little scary, but looking back, it was easy. I am only sad that I did not do it sooner. I now have my wifi hotspot back and the phone seems zippier with the overclocked kernel in the Reborn rom.

I say take the plunge and I bet you will be glad you did.

Reactions: basketthis

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

If you really want stock, you can revert to VC or V9. Instructions are in my signature.

Wireless tether app only does ad-hoc, not infrastructure.

pda-net and easytether don't do wifi.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

custom roms support infrastructure modes. reborn has a widget and cm7 is native in the settings menu. good luck!

Reactions: reltm

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Agree with all above. I was a major newbie in root until I took the plunge in Jan.
Took a few hours, mostly reading and rereading the directions, and rooted my phone and installed Reborn rom. Wireless tether works perfect and Netflix worked too.

I say it was well worth it...

Reactions: reltm

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

If you don't want to root PDANet is the way to go, it's a wired USB or BT tether though.

I would strongly advise that you just read for a bit and become familiar enough with the process and just root your phone and replace the ROM. Like everyone has said, you'll be glad you did because it will completely unlock your phone and its capabilities without having to duck Sprint and their OTA updates.

It's also a cool and fun learning experience if you do it the more difficult way(s) :)

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

Is there any centralized/wiki list of things that don't work with ROMs and particular models? Or is is it all just in the forum threads (which are thankfully searchable!)?

I just got an Optimus S and am thinking of putting Reborn or CM7 on it, but I'm worried about breaking things like visual voicemail, bluetooth, texts over 160 characters, no automatic PRL updates, etc.

I don't expect it to be all gravy or anything, I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons and am having a hard time finding the incompatibilities... maybe because there are so few? :) I guess I could always try it out, and if I don't like it... revert!

Thanks, I really appreciate this forum as a resource. Totally awesome!

Update: Just in case anyone is wondering, I jumped right in with Drew's CM7 and it's fantastic. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana