To root or not to root.....

formula355

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting basically gives your "Administration" access to your phone. You will be able to browse system files with a file browser and also be able to remove system files. You gain CPU overclocking, which is very nice for these little phones. WiFi tethering is another addition that I have used many times. You'll also be able to install a custom ROM, and there are some very good custom ROMs out there for the Optimus, on VD and VH baseband.

EDIT: Also, with most custom ROMs you'll gain about 50-80mbs of internal storage. Which I believe is a must for the Optimus which has very little internal memory.

jimpryde

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was on the fence about rooting my Optimus S for the longest time and I bit the bullet and did it last week. It was quite easy to do, and I'm happy with the performance and stability I have uncovered. As formula355 stated, you'll gain some storage space, which is severely lacking on the Optimus S. Another benefit is the ability to run apps like Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data, as well as the abilities unlocked by using a custom recovery. That will allow you to flash custom ROMs and do nandroid backups of your device. This has proven to be very handy as I have continued to dig around with the powers that come with rooting. Be sure you read the directions in the forums very carefully. You're one mistake away from possibly bricking your phone.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Basically, rooting gives you access to so much more than you can do stock. Tweaking roms, themes, overclocking are just some of the possibilities. Ran a modded optimus s for over a year and was thoroughly pleased.

sent from my Evo Shift 4g via tapatalk.