anyone upgraded/upgrading from their optimus recently/soon? what phone did you choose?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
For sprint 4g=Wimax aka the old 4g on the older sprint models

4g lte is self explanatory and is on the newer sprint models like mine and the sgs3 and evo lte. Wimax is no longer getting expanded and and is mainly used by the prepaid arms and older sprint customers.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

chuza

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The nexus is a great phone and the camera is a hell of a lot better than the optimus. He is just reading the specs, paper specs don't tell the whole story. I recently upgraded to the nexus on new years(birthday) and the quality and depth I get with the camera is better than my brothers gsII. Pretty close to gsIII's too. The nexus does have Jelly bean available (running now), the update isn't a necessity but it does run quite well.

The benefits of getting the nexus is it is pure android, no bloatware, no brand name overlays. Just android. I honestly wouldn't have any other phone unless it was the note II. The ergonomic form factor is great and I recommend trying one at least. You get NFC, and 4g if it's in your area or a concern.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jasonevil

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The nexus is a great phone and the camera is a hell of a lot better than the optimus. He is just reading the specs, paper specs don't tell the whole story. I recently upgraded to the nexus on new years(birthday) and the quality and depth I get with the camera is better than my brothers gsII. Pretty close to gsIII's too. The nexus does have Jelly bean available (running now), the update isn't a necessity but it does run quite well.

The benefits of getting the nexus is it is pure android, no bloatware, no brand name overlays. Just android. I honestly wouldn't have any other phone unless it was the note II. The ergonomic form factor is great and I recommend trying one at least. You get NFC, and 4g if it's in your area or a concern.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

plus rooting it was soooo easy, i got mine last week....

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I also went with the Galaxy SIII on the Verizon network for all of the obvious reasons. The only thing I miss about my Optimus S is all the great work done for that device found here and the people behind it. You people are great here!

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
dropped sprint because it's service has really gone downhill the last few years. got a Motorola Razr M on Verizon. Quite an incredible leap up from the Optimus S. I am loving it (and also loving 22Mbps download and upload speeds on LTE).

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
dropped sprint because it's service has really gone downhill the last few years. got a Motorola Razr M on Verizon. Quite an incredible leap up from the Optimus S. I am loving it (and also loving 22Mbps download and upload speeds on LTE).

That's all? I clocked 37mbps down on Sprint 4g lte earlier today...

Honestly, loving Sprint right now, great service and cheaper than most other carriers for my 3 lines.

Upgraded to a Motorola photon which is old 4g and then to a galaxy note 2. My fiancee has the s3 and there is absolutely no need for apps2sd. 16gb internal storage, use the sd card for media and pictures and the sort. Up to 64gb. I also believe Sprint well be releasing a 32gb version if they haven't already...

Yes, the optimus g is quad core and has a better rated mega pixel camera than my note, but it's an lg, which after my optimus s experience, means it's not going to be upgraded timely.

The nexus I've heard a lot of bad things about, including battery life. Honestly, as many people have the s3 and/or note, the dev community will be open for a long while.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah our battery kinda sucks but I bought a rayovac portable battery pack for 20$ and gives me a whole 6 more hours to my time

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That's all? I clocked 37mbps down on Sprint 4g lte earlier today...

Honestly, loving Sprint right now, great service and cheaper than most other carriers for my 3 lines.

Upgraded to a Motorola photon which is old 4g and then to a galaxy note 2. My fiancee has the s3 and there is absolutely no need for apps2sd. 16gb internal storage, use the sd card for media and pictures and the sort. Up to 64gb. I also believe Sprint well be releasing a 32gb version if they haven't already...

Yes, the optimus g is quad core and has a better rated mega pixel camera than my note, but it's an lg, which after my optimus s experience, means it's not going to be upgraded timely.

The nexus I've heard a lot of bad things about, including battery life. Honestly, as many people have the s3 and/or note, the dev community will be open for a long while.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

37mbps down is nice, but 22mbps, completely unlimited and with mobile hotspot, all totally free (work phone) is nicer for me. also not having to deal with a damned sprint airave and all the unreliability that goes along with that is nice too. 22mbps lets me watch as much streaming video as i can handle so it works for me. i don't need my webpages to load .03 seconds quicker, the phone is such an incredible leap up from the Optimus that I'm ecstatic about it.

I'd been an extremely loyal sprint customer since sept 1998 but my experience with them the last 2 years or so has really soured my opinion of a company which i once vehemently defended.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to wait a few months to upgrade, but I keep uninstalling apps on my phone, clearing my cache frequently, only to get low disc space warnings 1-3x a week. and swype beta seems to take 15 seconds to load after I select a field to type in. messaging app (deleted chomp sms due to disc space warnings, but it was doing it in there, too), dolphin browser, everything.

so I'm now looking at the galaxy s4 or HTC one. HTC's camera seems to be amazing in low light, eh in normal lighting, and no battery compartment and SD slot kinda sucks. galaxy s4 has a good camera in normal lighting, eh to bad in low light, but at least has a back compartment you can open and SD card storage. it doesn't look all that much better than the s3 and I can pick one up for half the price, too (even less at target this week, $50, holla). but I have a friend who has the S2 and had to have her phone replaced twice, which doesn't bode well. but HTC is not so great with keeping their phones updated, and I stick with my phones for 2+ years, so that's kind of important, too.

I'm not looking at the note 2 right now since it's another $100, even with my upgrade. I just can't justify a $300 phone. the iphone 5 is used on sprint's site for $149, cheaper than either of the ones I'm looking at, which is tempting. but I like android. just not my currently laggy phone.

so. no idea what I want. just something new. pronto.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Granted I updated from the Optimus S over a year ago and went to the Nexus S 4G to the Epic 4G Touch (ebay and warranty replacement). Just in the last week or so I actually got a Galaxy S4 (also switched to Verizon, suck it sprint!!). Totally amazing, no question. You couldn't go wrong with any of those you mentioned.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Granted I updated from the Optimus S over a year ago and went to the Nexus S 4G to the Epic 4G Touch (ebay and warranty replacement). Just in the last week or so I actually got a Galaxy S4 (also switched to Verizon, suck it sprint!!). Totally amazing, no question. You couldn't go wrong with any of those you mentioned.

and now that the sprint site is showing $99 for the HTC one, $149 for the galaxy s, and $199 for the note 2, the obvious choice (for cheapskate me) is the HTC one. though there is the s3, which is now free with upgrades. but $100 is really, really great for one of the top 2 rated phones on android right now.

damn it the site logged me out and that was new member pricing. well, back to deal huntin'. newegg is cheapest ($129), but their cell phone seller (not newegg but another company) gets bad reviews. and there's amazon for $150 but plus side to buying from sprint store = no shipping and sprint customer service if anything goes wrong. if I get their insurance. they've been great in the past, but my old phones never had screen cracking issues or the like.

Last edited:

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts on the HTC One is that there is NO sd card to default store the camera pics. If it dies all your pics are gone.
If I were to get a new phone for my wife it would probably be the s4. I personally went with a mid grade phone the ZTE Force which has no development of roms yet, but does have Root and CWM Touch Recovery.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the HTC One is that there is NO sd card to default store the camera pics. If it dies all your pics are gone.
If I were to get a new phone for my wife it would probably be the s4. I personally went with a mid grade phone the ZTE Force which has no development of roms yet, but does have Root and CWM Touch Recovery.

I've never had a phone die on me. I have lost a phone in a parking lot on a snow day, so I lost the SD card with it and pictures, which kinda draws me to backing up with cloud storage. but, of course, if the phone were to die before a backup, yeah, I can see that being a problem.

I don't think the S4 has the dust under the screen and dead pixels issues that the HTC one has, or if it does, not as much as the HTC one has them. I prefer the HTC one, but I want a phone that can easily survive 2+ years with as few issues as possible. I don't think that's asking too much, as the optimus S has. speaking of which, I think a lot of my lag issues were related to swype beta--switched back to swiftkey, and it actually comes up when I want to type. hooray! I could probably hold off on an upgrade until sprint has 4g here, but I would really love a new phone. really. really really. I just don't want to hate it in a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress