Is this the low end on Sprint to get?

kekil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?

Definitely get the Optimus. Overall superior to the Hero. Besides, the Hero won't be supported much longer. The Optimus is new, and Sprint will hopefully support it for awhile. Maybe Gingerbread?

The Optimus S specs are good. Too good for $49 with upgrade in fact. So I did some experimenting. I previously had the Hero, which I rooted and tried Fresh, CM6.0, and CM6.1. Then I went to a Sprint store and tried the Transform and Zio. I ran three popular benchmarking apps against each of these phones/ROMS. Here are my results in Google Docs.

The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.

Oh and if you want to play Angry Birds, you can't do it with the Hero.

As far as Sprint ID. It seems Sprint requires you to download an ID pack, but you don't have to install one. I just installed LauncherPro to get rid of that useless ID button.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea I tried a Zio when it was free at bestbuy and it was horrible. I dont see how they are charging more for it than the optimus. This optimus is a great phone so far.. I cant wait for some developers to get a hold of this thing and I dont think it will take long when they see what it can do stock.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Definitely get the Optimus. Overall superior to the Hero. Besides, the Hero won't be supported much longer. The Optimus is new, and Sprint will hopefully support it for awhile. Maybe Gingerbread?

The Optimus S specs are good. Too good for $49 with upgrade in fact. So I did some experimenting. I previously had the Hero, which I rooted and tried Fresh, CM6.0, and CM6.1. Then I went to a Sprint store and tried the Transform and Zio. I ran three popular benchmarking apps against each of these phones/ROMS. Here are my results in Google Docs.

The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.

Oh and if you want to play Angry Birds, you can't do it with the Hero.

As far as Sprint ID. It seems Sprint requires you to download an ID pack, but you don't have to install one. I just installed LauncherPro to get rid of that useless ID button.

Did you mistype the BenchmarkPi and CPU Benchmark for the Optimus? And the Hero can play Angry Birds, just not well :)

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Had a Hero... Have an Optimus at this point... this is significantly better than the Hero speed wise.

postman25

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the Optimus. I'm very happy with it. Also, I find call quality to be great, an LG strength. I had a Blackberry 8330 before the Optimus. The Optimus drops much fewer calls than the 8330 did. I had another LG (Chocolate flip)a few years ago on Verizon and I remember it was the best phone I ever had for call quality.

jasong#AC

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to speak like I'm the authority on this subject but what I'm about to say is the gospel.

With the exception of the Epic and EVO, there are NO other "droid" phones that Sprint offers that come CLOSE to the LG Optimus. Not even close.

I got the Pre on launch. Went through about 5 of them because they were made like crap; though I was too in love with the O/S to even realize just how the phone and Palm just didn't have much to offer. It was a failed product from the jump and so many of us were blindsided by the promises. Palm failed and unfortunately I had this phone longer than I should have.

I then switched to the Hero which is a great phone in itself; however 2.1! It is NOT getting Froyo 2.2, and it has a terrible "low on space" issue because you cannot save apps to a SDcard.

The Hero is passe and anyone contemplating that phone over this should really reconsider. Not only is the LG Optimus the best "entry level" Droid phone on the market, but it is amazingly sleek and a powerful device as well.

A store manager told me last week this is easily the 3rd best phone Sprint currently offers.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to speak like I'm the authority on this subject but what I'm about to say is the gospel.

With the exception of the Epic and EVO, there are NO other "droid" phones that Sprint offers that come CLOSE to the LG Optimus. Not even close.

Not only is the LG Optimus the best "entry level" Droid phone on the market, but it is amazingly sleek and a powerful device.

I have to agree with this

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Did you mistype the BenchmarkPi and CPU Benchmark for the Optimus? And the Hero can play Angry Birds, just not well :)

Why do you think there is typo? Those benchmarks are measured in milliseconds. Smaller is better, unlike the Quadrant score.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

+1 on this.

There are flaws... (no LED's, not gorilla glass, and it doesn't play well with slow SD cards)

I know several of the other android phones have flaws as well...

I know the Hero has issues with it's bluetooth stack.
The Intercept has lag issues.

I would exchange the Hero for an Optimus...

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Its a good entry level phone I was worried about the no physical keyboard butas u said the transform got beat up bad in all the reviews. I watched a YouTube review on it where the Guy TRIED to play angry birds and the phone couldn't handle it...I'm happy to report that angry birds is addicting;) however make sure u ft a class 4 SD card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty