my new phone is suddenly acting up, please help

InKed Ei8hT

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so to start with I just got my Optimus S yesterday (and also to note, this is my first smartphone, my last phone was the original LG Rumor), it was delivered via UPS. I decided to activate here at home rather than going to the sprint store (the nearest one is about 25 miles away). After some initial setup issues it ran completely fine last night and earlier today, but since about two hours ago it's been having some real issues.

First thing i noticed was that when trying to reply to a text message it wouldn't register that any keys were hit. They would light up (and when trying to use Swype it would show the blue trail) but they wouldn't register in the message (and yes it was showing that i had it clicked in the typing bar) It still let me click on icons and so i tried typing in my browser search bar and it acted the same (showing i touched the keys, but not registering the letter).

So i turned the phone off and then back on. Upon turning back on it started up really slowly. The wallpaper appeared and I could slide through the 5 pages, but none of my icons were appearing, so i hit the menu button and the black menu page opened but again didn't have any icons or text, but after waiting for a few seconds the menu icons popped up and upon hitting "home" and scrolling through my pages again all my icons were back up. When i went back to trying to text it was working just fine...for a little while.

Since this first time I've had to restart my phone 2 or 3 more times and have noticed that the text registers sometimes and other times it lags, (about 15 to 20 seconds) then will show up, and again other times wont register at all.

Some other things that have been happening is just general slow behavior such as: it taking about 3-5 minutes to send a text message, the time in the upper right corner has lagged up to 10 minutes before catching up to the current time (note: when i check the analog clock feature, that is current, its only the home screen time that lags), and other apps taking a decent amount of time to load. One last thing that was weird was I was on the other end of my bedroom from my phone (just coming back into the room) and the phone said something in Spanish (i think it was Spanish..) and when I looked to see if there were any updates or messages or anything, it was just a text message o_O

So any help would be greatly appreciated cause I have no freaking clue why it's acting up so badly.

edit: as I'm sitting here it (with the screen still black) just said french keyana(?..i know it said "French" not so sure about the second word..) so yeah...i think a definite trip to the sprint store tomorrow is in order...

Last edited:

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Try doing a wipe on it, seems to fix some of the issues on it.

On boot the phone can be a bit laggy though, especially if you use a lot of widgets/have a lot start up on boot. It's just like a computer, if you're going to load 20 programs at once it'll take a bit for those 20 programs to load :p

Reactions: InKed Ei8hT

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset

It'll ask you to confirm a few times and you'll lose all your phone's data (though contacts and such can be backed up via your google account).

Reactions: InKed Ei8hT

InKed Ei8hT

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks a lot, i just wiped it and selected the clean sprint id and it seems to be running great again...could one of the apps i downloaded have had something to do with it messing up? (just wondering to make sure i dont download it again, i only got a few [facebook, twitter, angry birds] + i had 2 sprint id things going {yahoo and socially connected} so im not sure if any of those apps or apps contained in those SIDs could have had anything to do with it)