hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
i haven't seen it in this section yet so i though i would post up on it.

google voice + pbxes.org + sipdroid = working

setup google voice on your device. must be setup first.

download sipdroid from market. install.

after installing, there is a button on the bottom of sipdroid that says integrate google voice with pbxes.org. hit this button and follow the steps and everything will be setup for you. if the button is not there when you first startup sipdroid, double check that google voice is setup. after it's setup it should show you the button in sipdroid.

if you want to do it manually, here is the guide i followed:
Original Sipdroid/GV Guide (from XDA) ? Gurnted's Blog

with this google voice works over wifi & 3g.

i also saw sections stating that you must include the google voice gadget in igoogle.com and enable chat. i am not sure if this is required but i read that it was. here is a good how-to on setting that up:
VOIP for Android Devices via SIPdroid ? Android Phones, Android Tablets, News, Tech, Gadgets And More, Thedroidguy

the only part that really confused me was that i did not setup google voice on my device first so i never got the button in sipdroid to enter my google info. hopefully this will help someone.

Reactions: cmags

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'm still a little new to VOIP/SIP, but have a SIPgate account/number connected to a SIP client on my PC which I use to accept free incoming calls on my PC at home (used for callcenter work since I work from home).

When I use it for personal calls I go to the GV web page and dial from there and have it call me. A bit of a hassle but I essentially have a free VOIP this way.

Would this solution allow me to use my Optimus as a VOIP with my SIPGate and GV accounts (or even better, *just* my GV account) and use data rather than minutes for calls?

That would be incredible! I'm sharing 1500 minutes with 4 other members of my family, and I could use this for work and not be tied to my PC all day.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell, yes. I seem to have no troubles using wifi or 3g. Just sat at satrbucks to make a good 30 calls to various places using sipdroid. Only 1 complaint about not being clear. Not a minuteused :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap that was easy! It didn't even need my SIPgate number or anything.

So now does my GV number forward to this only or does it continue to forward the numbers I have set?

If the latter, is there a way to receive incoming calls over VOIP?

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
lol i thought the same. looking at some of the guides out there that were pages long, it looked like it would be a huge process. sipdroid pretty much takes care of everything for you. sets everything up with pbxes.org and gets it all hooked up.

as far as forwarding and whatnot, you'll have to play with it to see. i did notice that callerid doesn't really work (or i haven't set it up to yet). when a call comes in from my gv number, it just shows it as my gv number calling me.

incoming calls work just fine, as long as your connected. i had no troubles with friends calling me.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to test. Right now I have my GV number set to dial my phone, my wife's phone, and my SIPgate number on my PC, so we can pick it up on any of the three. I use the GV number essentially as a home number because it's local and our cell phones are from before we moved.

My concern is that if it only now forwards to my SIPDroid, it won't go to the others. I assume I'd have to play with pbxes settings if I need to modify how it works now?

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
lol had to make it complicated didn't you?

i would think that if GV is setup to forward, that it'll still forward to the numbers it's supposed to. if sipdroid is active it'll ring there as well. i'm not positive and a test would be the best answer for you.

when a call goes into GV it gets forwarded to wherever GV tells it to forward. one of those places is going to be pbxes.org which then sends it to sipdroid and only when sipdroid is active.

post up when you test everything and let us know what happens.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
lol had to make it complicated didn't you?

Should we move this to the Hacks/Mods forum? :p

So I just tested since my dad was over with his phone and I could call from a number that's not already on my GV account. I checked GV and see that there's a new "number" in my forwarding list - Google Chat. (There's that chat thing one of the articles mentioned). It wasn't enabled so I enabled it and disabled forwarding to my own phone. Then I called my GV number from my dad's phone and it rang to my PC, my wife's phone, and SIPDroid. :eek: Awesome. :D I can't believe it's this simple.

Thanks for the heads up.

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Does this work if you are not using the Google Voice phone number but just your cell phone number? I set up GV but didn't use the GV number and I don't see the PBxes choice as mentioned above.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean. When you setup Google voice it should give you a number. You will need this as that is the number sipdroid will use to make and receive calls.

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean. When you setup Google voice it should give you a number. You will need this as that is the number sipdroid will use to make and receive calls.

I think the problem is when someone calls your GV number, how does it use VOIP so that you can pickup the call on your phone.

GV only allows landline, cellphone, gimzo5, and google chat. if you have signed up for gimzo5 before Google acquired them, you are fine. If not, then what?

what pbxes.org does is they use your google chat login and password and create a trunk (something like that). It logon to google chat (from germany) with your information, setup some priority to make the rest of your google chat session lower priority in receiving the call. It then picks up the call from the chat session and route it to your phone via sipdroid.

google might think there is a security problem with your account because google will detect that you are logging into chat from germany, while some other gmail/google product session of yours are from us.

also, i logon to pbxes.org and check the pbxes.org account sipdroid created for me and they store my google account password in clear text.

once I know that, I immediately change my google password and stop using pbxes.org

just FYI...

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
also, i logon to pbxes.org and check the pbxes.org account sipdroid created for me and they store my google account password in clear text.

once I know that, I immediately change my google password and stop using pbxes.org

just FYI...

Where do you see this clear text password? That's a big issue, but looking around my account, I don't see my password anywhere. Am I misunderstanding?

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Where do you see this clear text password? That's a big issue, but looking around my account, I don't see my password anywhere. Am I misunderstanding?

goto pbxes.org, login (username should be in your email which they sent), select "trunk" on the left panel. you should see at least one trunk already created. there will be your google chat login information.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
it does show the password in clear text however unless your pbxes acct gets compromised, you really have nothing to worry about. put a strong password on and let it be.

there are other ways of gettings this done without using pbxes.org. i only showed that option as it was the easiest. i have yet to hear of anyone with issues using this method.

guzzler

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using nettalk app from market....not bad at all to make voip calls but cannot receive any......

I also have nettalk duo at home as landline....soon this app will let me use my home phone number...that will be cool....

newstang

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys/Gals Im leaving for Europe on Tuesday, I want to bring my fascinate, but it not only doesnt work there, I dont want it even if it did. Will this work via wifi with my VOIP carrier, without verizion charging me for soemthing?
Thx

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Internet Call Settings in Gingerbread

I think the real question is if this will work with the features built into android 2.3, such as its ability to handle internet calling on its own. I wonder if we can set this up through the Call Settings > Internet call settings(bottom of list). I had attempted this on my hero a few weeks back, and the calls would connect, but no audio would transfer, and it would error some times.

Does anybody have any info on this?

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Heh, missed this question. I have it setup on cm7 working np

Correction, it was working. It ?eems pbces.org fixed their hole so you have to pay for this feature now. Will update when I find something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty