Lg optimus s sound doesnt work. Only sound through headphone jack

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So Im in love with my phone. But im having a problem :( I plugged headphones in yesterday and now my headphones just slide in and out. No sound works on my phone untill i plug in something into the headphone jack. Then sound only works through the jack. Im not sure what to do :( No sound works on my phone at all. Should I just take it in.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Taking it in would probably be the best option...

Is the headphone icon indicated in the notification bar even when you don't have anything plugged into the headphone jack?

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
So Im in love with my phone. But im having a problem :( I plugged headphones in yesterday and now my headphones just slide in and out. No sound works on my phone untill i plug in something into the headphone jack. Then sound only works through the jack. Im not sure what to do :( No sound works on my phone at all. Should I just take it in.

Did you try powering it down/up? Always a good thing to try when strangeness happens.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Had a similar issue on my old Palm Zire 31, and it was fixed by a full wipe.

I've also heard that oil on the headphone jack can work, though I've never tried it.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
the fact you say it just 'slides in and out' sounds like a mechanical failure in the headphone jack. The sensor tab that activates when a jack in plugged in sounds like it is jammed, thus no resistance inserting and removing the headphones, as well as no sound (it thinks they are still in)

Either way it is a hardware issue and if it did this without abuse then it is up to Sprint or LG to make it right.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... that's NOT good... that's similar to the headphone jack problem that resulted in 6 replacement palm Pre's...

gnarshred

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Wanted to jump in and share my experiences. I have the optimus v. same thing happened after only a few weeks of ownership. Looking on the internet, I have found that this is a pretty common problem on all of the optimus models. I have tried everything. Power on/off, battery pull, full restore (even reloading from SD card...)
Would really like more ideas, but I feel like I have done everything in my power... Is there anything I could do to completely reload the OS? (I thought thats what I did when I used the SD recovery) Seems like a completely fresh start could be a good move. Next move is going back to Best Buy, but we all know that is going to be a chore...

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
That jack has what they call normalling, a spring device that physically connects normal speaker audio when nothing is plugged in and disconnects speaker feed when headphones are plugged in. If the contacts become dirty, it can result in the problem you’re describing. My guess is you spilled something in there and mucked up the contacts...

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
That jack has what they call normalling, a spring device that physically connects normal speaker audio when nothing is plugged in and disconnects speaker feed when headphones are plugged in. If the contacts become dirty, it can result in the problem you?re describing. My guess is you spilled something in there and mucked up the contacts...

not nessicarly spilled something in there. It was a really common problem with the PRE's like someone earlier in this thread said.

a quick solution is using an old tooth brush dip it in rubbing alcohol and stick the bristles down the headphone jack and twist it around and try to clean it out the best you can. followed by spraying some duster down there to get everything out. (watch your eyes while doing this)

usually fixed the pre's for awhile.

asassinkid2

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lg optimus s sound doesnt work. Only sound through headphone

I've tried everything in this forum and nothing has worked I am going to try to take my phone up to the store tomorrow

Sillub

May 12, 2013
Visit site
MY LG VS985 4G has a similar issue. It has a weird icon on the top like a symbol to plug a speaker into my phone. The speaker on my phone works, but I cannot hear through the normal ear speaker. Why is this happening?

TJS69

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My LG Destiny LG121G has no sound, and if you press on that small icon it says "Turn off all sounds" is on. I cannot figure out how to turn that off. Where you should be able to adjust the Volume in settings, "Volume" is shown in a dim text that you cannot highlight (select). This just started happening today. Yesterday I couldn't answer phone when called ! I think it may be a software issue. - Tom