Rebooting itself

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Im curious as to how common of a problem a random reboot is with this phone? Im on my 4th Opt S and 3 out of those 4 were replaced due to the phone randomly rebooting itself. After about 2 weeks with the most recent "S" it too will just out of nowhere turn itself off and require a battery pull to get it to turn back on. Ive replaced sd cards and batteries to no avail. My most recent bout with sprint cust service was incredibly frustrating as well. Im ready to find something else at this point. Thanks for any advice.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
are you rooted and running a custom Rom? If so are you overclocking it to high? If you over clock to high it will reboot phone as a safety feature.

I have not had any reboot problems that where not my fault! My optimus S is very stable.

mcfisher1980

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
i had this happen twice the other day and im not rooted. i contacted sprint about it and never did get to the actual cause of the reboots. in the end i was told to do a battery pull and let it sit for 10 mins. i dont know if it fixed the problem, but i havent had a reboot since then.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Stock everything except adw launcher. No root. Ive had 3 Opt S's do this which is why I started this thread. TIA

Though I never had issues with rebooting myself I remember reading some reports of reboots caused by the microSD card. I'm not sure if this is actually the valid cause but you could consider trying a replacement microSDHC card if you havn't already.

Edit: I should note I only had the stock sd card in my phone for about a month before I replaced it for something larger

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my 3rd sd card. All have had issues with the phone rebooting. I've tried 3 different batteries as well. Nothing has worked.

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Hard reformatted yesterday. Was already rebooting itself about 2 hours afterward. This phone absolutely hates low signal areas. My previous workplace has a horrendous signal and I was there for less than 5 minutes and it vibrated in my hand and shutoff. I was there for a half hour and in that time it shutoff twice.

The low signal likely overheats the battery and then the phone shuts itself off. The amount of babysitting that this phone requires astounds me. Are there any android phones that dont require this much "care"?

the_maplebar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting the "LG black screen of death"? This is where the screen won't come on, but if you look closely (or it's dark) the buttons will light up when you push the power button.

I had this problem on my phone some at first. I discovered that it happened a lot more often when the wifi radio was on. If I turned the wifi off I could go for several days or a week without having to pull the battery.

I have not had to pull the battery even once in the last 3 weeks after moving to RebornROM and doing a dirty flash. I did get a black screen a couple of times after moving to RebornROM when I had wifi on, but after doing a dirty flash (reflash the same ROM without clearing data, cache or anything) I have had no problems. I now leave wifi on all the time because it doesn't cause problems anymore.

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting the "LG black screen of death"? This is where the screen won't come on, but if you look closely (or it's dark) the buttons will light up when you push the power button.

I had this problem on my phone some at first. I discovered that it happened a lot more often when the wifi radio was on. If I turned the wifi off I could go for several days or a week without having to pull the battery.

I do get the black screen but havent checked whether or not the 4 buttons illuminate. Regardless, you may be on to something speaking of the wifi causing the reboots. Previously, I always kept wifi on and found that the times when it would reboot would be when I was leaving or entering a remembered wifi hotspot. After your post I plan on keeping wifi off and see what results I get. Thanks for the suggestion.

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Also how hot is the phone getting?

sent from my Reborn Optimus
Not sure due to my frustration level when the reboot occurs. I know that in the past the phone has shutoff due to battery temps. This is the 4th LG opt that Ive had and the last 3 have all done this. Ive kept the wifi always on on each of them so this may be some progress. Ive contemplated rooting this phone or selling it and getting a used EVO. Thanks for the ideas. You have been more helpful than Sprint ever was.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea at this point, give root and something like RebornRom or CleanRom a shot. My wife has a rooted but otherwise stock Optimus and has all sorts of stability problems that I never had with my rooted and Rom'ed Optimus.

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Well you are correct about the wifi radio causing this problem. Ive been keeping wifi off to see what happens and having just turned wifi on, the phone did the usual screen dimming and then powered itself off requiring a battery pull to get it to turn on. Ive also had it shut itself off when putting it into airplane mode as well.

Im contemplating rooting it so all these issues can go away. Its looking like a better option Thanks again for your insight on this issue.

Advantageinv

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem with 2 Optimus S phones and an Optimus V.
I've had the BSOD only once and that was the "S" that did it.
1 of our "S" phones is stock, the other "S" and the "V" are rooted but with stock systems.
The "V" only runs wifi hotspot and will overheat during heavy browsing but will also [occasionally] randomly reboot even when the hotspot isn't active. Rarely if at all will reboot with the hotspot active but will shut down if it overheats.
Both "S" versions randomly reboot on occasion but only maybe once or twice every week or two. Still annoying. We run wifi on both "S" phones.

wafa510

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately I have not had any rebooting issues on my stock Optimus S but I did get a widget called Battery Life from the marketplace and it has the option to show the battery temperature and voltage...I use it as a gage since I heard of so many problems of the phone getting too hot and therefore rebooting. Not sure if this is helpful but it may be worth a try to at least monitor it. :)

oncesir

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem with 2 Optimus S phones and an Optimus V.
I've had the BSOD only once and that was the "S" that did it.
1 of our "S" phones is stock, the other "S" and the "V" are rooted but with stock systems.
The "V" only runs wifi hotspot and will overheat during heavy browsing but will also [occasionally] randomly reboot even when the hotspot isn't active. Rarely if at all will reboot with the hotspot active but will shut down if it overheats.
Both "S" versions randomly reboot on occasion but only maybe once or twice every week or two. Still annoying. We run wifi on both "S" phones.

I really dont think battery temps have anything to do with it but I may be wrong. The other day I had wifi off, I turned it on, and literally, the instant wifi was on, the phone began rebooting. Today I forgot to turn wifi off as I left work (where I use wifi on my phone) and the phone just froze up once I was about a 1/2 mile from work. Couldnt do anything to it. Pulled the battery and it started up again. Ridiculous.

Honestly, the worst part is that Ive had 3 Opt S's that have done the exact same thing. Its all tied into the wifi radio when the phone is entering or leaving a remembered wifi network. When I keep wifi off on the phone I rarely have any issues at all.

holangja1

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
my phone random reboots itself only when im at work, where theres very bad coverage (around 1x 0 to 3bars max). dont know how to fix :(

wafa510

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have read many posts on different forums and even the Sprint forums about problems with these phones....something tells me that they put out some bad batches of these phones. However, the most common complaint I see is on the LG forums which show many of their phones (not just the Optimus S) having rebooting issues for various reasons, not just because of low signal or Wifi. People are begging LG for fixes on a daily basis and it seems that they are not too proactive about it at this point.

My Optimus S (knock on wood) so far has had no problems but I am constantly reading up on all the problems in case one day it starts to happen to my phone. I am thinking this is a LG fix and without them releasing updates to fix the bugs in their phones, the problems are going to continue. :(

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issues with my phone previous to replacing the sdcard. That being said i ran the new sdcard for about 6months and it started doing rebooting again. I am on my second sdcard and all is working fine for now...

Seems that it is an issue related to the sdcard - or portion of the phone working with the sdcard. Not exactly sure what but a new sdcard always removes the problem for a few months.

Would like to run some tests on users NOT using app2sd at all and if this resolves the problem?