China Ebay Replacement Batteries and Charger

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I received my batteries and charger from China. Unfortunately, they don't fit as they come. Good news is, they are easily modified to fit with a little sanding/filing.

Here's one of the batteries, the charger, and the stock grey battery for comparison:
img20110420034148.jpg

Here's a closeup of the labels on the battery and charger:
img20110420034440.jpg

Here are some side by side size comparisons.
img20110420034251.jpg

img20110420034405.jpg

The stock battery may look a bit larger, but that's an optical illusion caused by the replacement battery being black vs the stock's grey color.

The stock battery has a round edge on the sides that matches the rounding of the case. These replacement batteries are squared, and that is the issue that keeps them from fitting. Easily solved by removing the label, and sanding the edges of the plastic frame to round them off like the stock battery. I am using them now, without the labels, and they work fine.

You can get the battery cover to stay on by just removing the label, since it is very thick, but you still have a small seam down both sides of your phone unless you sand the edges down.

The charger seems to work fine for recharging the batteries, including the stock one. I have not tried the USB port on the charger yet, but if I have any issues with it, I will report them here.

Here's the listing on Ebay, for $10 I think it's a great deal even if you do have to sand it a bit.
2 Battery+Charger for LG P500 Optimus GW880 GX500 GX200

If you can find batteries with rounded edges, buy them and save yourself the sanding.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Haha, they go through the trouble of copying the LG logo, but they don't get the size right.

I have my own story of buying Chinese batteries. I needed a high capacity battery for a space balloon I was launching. I ordered a 2200mAh Li-Ion battery off of ebay. It arrived and the packaging said "2000 mAh". Ok, not that big of a difference. I open the packaging and on the battery itself, "1600 mAh". Dang it! Not ideal, but I can still use it. I needed just the bare cell to save on weight. So I dismantled the battery, removed the casing and the protective circuitry. Written on the main cell (probably at the time it was manufactured) was the actual capacity "1200 mAh".... Finally, I tested the cell for it's true capacity: 1000 mAh. Less than half of what I thought I was buying.

Having said that, I'd be interested to know your battery life using this new battery. You'll want to reset the battery stats before testing it, otherwise your battery % will be messed up.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Battery life seems to be about 75-80% what the stock batteries give you. I'm betting these are more like 1200mAh instead of 1500mAh like advertised.

Edit-- I used one of these batteries from noon till 9pm, and still have 71% with very light usage. Seems decent, especially for the price!

Edit2- I used the other battery today, from noon till 10:30, and still have 63% with very light usage. Call me HappyScript! ;)

Last edited:

psygn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought this from the same seller and had to sand the edges for it to fit.

I don't understand how the charger works, though. My batteries won't fit in the cradle of the wall charger. The sticker label on the charger says "For M0T MB525/MB520/DEFY" and "This U. Charger Support M0T BF5X". It does look like your wall charger in the picture, though. Could you actually mount your battery onto the wall charger?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand how the charger works, though. My batteries won't fit in the cradle of the wall charger. The sticker label on the charger says "For M0T MB525/MB520/DEFY" and "This U. Charger Support M0T BF5X". It does look like your wall charger in the picture, though. Could you actually mount your battery onto the wall charger?

Mot is Motorola batteries.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Battery life seems to be about 75-80% what the stock batteries give you. I'm betting these are more like 1200mAh instead of 1500mAh like advertised.

Edit-- I used one of these batteries from noon till 9pm, and still have 71% with very light usage. Seems decent, especially for the price!

Edit2- I used the other battery today, from noon till 10:30, and still have 63% with very light usage. Call me HappyScript! ;)

Typical Chinese battery.
They are usually way over-rated on capacity (about what you found).

I too have these, and while not spectacular batteries, for the money, they are great spares to keep charged for emergencies. If they die from sitting, it's no great loss.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Yes, the batteries slide in and out very easily. I just put the contact end in first, and it pushes right in with a not very snug fit.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I just bought some extended batteries for this phone that claim to be 1800mAh. I'll report back on how they perform.

psygn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the batteries slide in and out very easily. I just put the contact end in first, and it pushes right in with a not very snug fit.

I can't get mine to go in easily at all. This might be a case of ignoramus like when I nearly destroyed my Microsoft Office's plastic casing to get to the CD before knowing how to properly open it. But how hard can battery chargers be?!

Here are some pictures:

img20110430053348.jpg
img20110430053625.jpg

img20110430053714.jpg
img20110430053741.jpg

I know the contacts are on the other side but I can't fit it in any which way.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I can't get mine to go in easily at all. This might be a case of ignoramus like when I nearly destroyed my Microsoft Office's plastic casing to get to the CD before knowing how to properly open it. But how hard can battery chargers be?!

Here are some pictures:

img20110430053348.jpg
img20110430053625.jpg

img20110430053714.jpg
img20110430053741.jpg

I know the contacts are on the other side but I can't fit it in any which way.

Strange, looks like they may have sent you the wrong charger. :(

Not sure if it's worth trying to get them to send you a new one, but the pics should help.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that is the charger for a motorola battery.
Hence the writing that says for mot mb525/mb520/defy.

Like Jerry said I would contact them and tell them you recieved the wrong charger and see if they will send the proper one with a return label.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Reading that description makes me very suspicious of them. There isnt a extended battery door for these phones is there? That would be the reason its not needed.

This isnt even necessary to say but, let us know how well it does :D.

You were right to be suspicious. It fit the phone (barely) but the measured capacity was just a little over 1600mAh. Not worth the cost at all. I returned them.

vivianhuang

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I just got my batteries from smalltao.com, a taobao agent from China. They test good and it works well!! I don't know if the seller sent you the right model..You have to ask him.