What are your recommendations for headphones for the V10?

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a pair of ear buds and on ear headphones that would take advantage of the v10 features. What do I need to look for? What kind do you suggest?

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Beats solo2 wireless are definitely the way to go!! The battery lasts for a week, you can take calls with no cords but they come with a cord in case you want to try out the Hi Fi Dac. I bought a brand new pair on craigslist for $170. I'm super happy with them! 👍

Posted via the Android Central App

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Bluetooth beats to v moda m100s to take advantage of the hifi and couldn't be happier. The difference is night and day. No more Bluetooth for me.

tomski808

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I second the v-moda's. I have the same setup and love them. Plus they can take a beating. The customization options are nice too.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've got a pair of plantronics backbeat pro headphones. Awesome sound quality over bluetooth as they support apt-x.
Can also use them corded but to be honest to me they sound just as good over bluetooth.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
What sounds good is very subjective, I suggest finding a place where you can audition a few different models and listen to them. BTW, the hi-fi DAC and amp will not work with Bluetooth, you must have headphones that plugin to the headphone jack on the phone. What I use depends on "how I am listening":

- "Daily driver" earbuds - Klipsch S4's (there is a newer model, but don't know the model number)
- Critical listening - B&W P7 headphones
- On a plane (Which I am frequently) - Bose QC 15's (new model QC25's)

They all sound good - great, but, different. The Bose are probably the least audiophile of the batch, to my ears the mids are bit lacking, but you can't beat the noise cancellation. Bose NC is the best in my opinion.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not my best sounding headphones by a long shot, but when I need portable comfort, durability and passive sound isolation I reach for my Bose sound-true phones, or the original AE2 model. Not really on-ear, they gently cup around the ears and I find them very comfy for long times. I think they sound good too.... balanced sounding overall not too bass heavy, bright sounding or anything like that.

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Sol Republic Amps HD ear buds. They sound good. I hope to get some v moda 100's soon.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What sounds good is very subjective, I suggest finding a place where you can audition a few different models and listen to them. BTW, the hi-fi DAC and amp will not work with Bluetooth, you must have headphones that plugin to the headphone jack on the phone. What I use depends on "how I am listening":

- "Daily driver" earbuds - Klipsch S4's (there is a newer model, but don't know the model number)
- Critical listening - B&W P7 headphones
- On a plane (Which I am frequently) - Bose QC 15's (new model QC25's)

They all sound good - great, but, different. The Bose are probably the least audiophile of the batch, to my ears the mids are bit lacking, but you can't beat the noise cancellation. Bose NC is the best in my opinion.

I thought I was the only one with 3 different headphones.

Yourbuds for earbuds

Klipsch portable

Ableplanet when I want to surround myself in music

It's time to upgrade all of them except maybe the yourbuds....they are the only ones that stays in. I've been getting flac files in anticipation for my next set.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
For the most part headphone spec sheets are meaningless. So to make choices based on spec sheets will lead you to some very poor decisions. Make sure the connector is small enough to fit through the opening on the case (if you are using a case). Comfort, make sure you can wear it long enough.

Normally I would say to stick with a low impedance headphone, but the V10 can handle a wide range, and IMHO it sounds better with impedances higher that 50 ohms, provided there is one you like the sound of in the first place.

Beyond that, it boils down to sonic and physical preference within your budget constraints.

Last edited:

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for a pair of ear buds and on ear headphones that would take advantage of the v10 features. What do I need to look for? What kind do you suggest?

I have the same question. BUT... "Advantage of the features..."? I need something above 50 ohms impedance for the ESS DAC. Got that. That covers Hi-Fi sound. Now... I need a mic for telephone conversations, I need buttons next to the mic to switch songs, and a button that will have Ok Google prompt me for commands.

Do these have those features or are they merely for audio listening?

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Any headphone will work with the ess dac and amp. The amp has a low power mode and a high power mode. High power mods turns on with headphone over 50ohms. Any headphones under 50ohms will be working with the low power mode, but can still benefit from the amp and dac chips. Most low impedance headphones wont need the extra power from the high power mode.

michael hester1

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I have many headphones jbl bose monster.project one.b&o.the ones without the mike sound alot better.plus I have a extention wire between the head phone and phone(plug extention in phone first 'then head phones)seems to kick in high amp'works for me .for the mic as long as phone is about 3 ft from your mouth the phone mic will pick up your voice.try it it works.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Currently using PowerBeats2 and feeling alright about them. Wish the battery life was better, but the bass is lit. Also the default music player EQ works over Bluetooth somehow.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
This is what I use:

Full-size (Open): Sennheiser HD598

Full-size (Closed): M-Audio Q40

Earbuds: Yuin PK1

In-Ear: RHA MA750 (plus headphone jack extender to enable high gain)

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow... I gotta up my game with this phone... I've been using the stock iphone earbuds and/or the ones samsung sent when i tried out the note 5... lol

apt604

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much whatever you like - and as others have said, full-size headphones work well because of the amp. I got a pair of Sennheiser cans and they sound terrific.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
This is what I use:

Full-size (Open): Sennheiser HD598

Full-size (Closed): M-Audio Q40

Earbuds: Yuin PK1

In-Ear: RHA MA750 (plus headphone jack extender to enable high gain)

IMHO for the $$ its hard to beat the HD598 and its stable mate HD 558. Good all around performers, super comfy for long sessions. I don't find them to accentuate or attenuate any particular frequency bands. I find them very natural sounding. For those who need it, there are aftermarket cable makers who have replacement cables with mic and buttons. I have never used any of them though so I can't offer first hand impressions.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
IMHO for the $$ its hard to beat the HD598 and its stable mate HD 558. Good all around performers, super comfy for long sessions. I don't find them to accentuate or attenuate any particular frequency bands. I find them very natural sounding. For those who need it, there are aftermarket cable makers who have replacement cables with mic and buttons. I have never used any of them though so I can't offer first hand impressions.

They're great headphones, definitely my favorites. I think you'd have a tough time beating them without spending almost twice as much. I've been thinking of picking up the HD600's next, but while LG claims the phone drive up to 600 ohms, I know the HD600's have generally needed an external amp to shine, so I'm skeptical if they'd pair well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi