Should I sell my S7 edge for the V20?

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking of selling my S7 edge for the V20 but the things I'll give up are the AMOLED screen, bigger battery (yes I know the V20 has removable battery), no wireless charging, and the camera isn't as good as the S7 but it's close, and no water resistance. Is it worth giving up mainly the AMOED display, slightly better camera performance, and slightly smaller battery for the V20s quad DAC?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are a hardcore audio fan that plays a lot of lossless tunes and want to power some high impedance headphones, maybe No.

DACs have diminished returns with MP3 tunes and if you are using mainly Bluetooth headphones there really is no advantage. I have high end Klipsch buds and Grado cans and think the Note 7 sounds fantastic. Ditto for Bluetooth with my Bose Directs and Skullcandy Grinds. My car as well that has a loaded set-up.

If just for the DAC, it might not be the best option. That said, if I were a hardcore audio person with a touch of OCD ;) I'd probably get the V20.

The Note 7 has a DAC too. IMO and also reviewers the N7 sounds great.

Wish the V20 were out now though to see and hear for sure. Seems the display battery life is the weak spot, based on Phonearena who usually do a solid analysis.

Osahar 87

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes if you can go without an amoled screen and wireless charging. If you don't care for high quality audio or full manual video control, dual cameras, ir blaster, Android Nougat, removable battery, 2nd display then stay with Samsung.

I currently have the Note 7 and I'm disappointed in its performance especially the audio performance!!! It's very subpar and Imo this phone is not worth $850. The display and camera and samsung pay are nice, but its performance, audio capabilites, and battery drain is a deal breaker. My wife has the S7 Edge and its faster than my Note 7 but both phones feel very bloated and lag at times (more on the Note 7). Both phones don't feel butter smooth at all and I kind of miss my nexus 6 only in that department. Nonetheless I can't wait to get the LG V20.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
All phones and anything else with an analog output will have a DAC for digital media. Not sure how the Note 7 sounds with headphones, but the speaker on it sucks.

Mono speakers suck. My MXPE was the best, but the 808 had a power sucking GPU. Not all DACs are created equal though. Some have near passive amplification.

Last edited:

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes if you can go without an amoled screen and wireless charging. If you don't care for high quality audio or full manual video control, dual cameras, ir blaster, Android Nougat, removable battery, 2nd display then stay with Samsung.

The display and camera and samsung pay are nice.

Oh right I also forgot about samsung pay! why can't all phones have it! Guess I'll have to start using my wallet more now. AMOLED display is amazing! but I guess I could get used to IPS display but I heard somewhere that colors aren't too accurate on the V20s display.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You are going to need that replaceable battery, based on the battery life being 50% of the Note 7 for video media and 35% less for everything else ;)

The display is a huge factor for a lot of people, so not simply weighting each item the same. Color accuracy and contrast are at or near bottom of color rankings and no option to tweak like even the MXPE has.

A reviewer demo unit already died due to slight water exposure- not happening with the N7

Camera for the Note 7 is rated highest overall and better DOF than the V20

The V20 apparently gets hot under load due to a combo of the GPU and LCD display (my bet is demo related)

Well, that's my spin ;) The fact is the units right now are DEMO units, so need to wait for retail versions. Hopefully retails have a gasket around the cover or frame for reducing moisture chances of getting in :)

The higher end DACs, video function, replaceable battery, overall build, camera lens options all make it a potentially great device. Still think it is better served for sales at $700. Should sell very well at that price.

I hope the display gets tweaked for retail release. At least add color tweak options like the MXPE has (one of the most accurate color displays).

Axi6Ne8us

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I sold my s7 edge a few months back and pick up an LG V10. Haven't had any regrets. Surely will be upgrading to the international V20.

subraya

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking of selling my S7 edge for the V20 but the things I'll give up are the AMOLED screen, bigger battery (yes I know the V20 has removable battery), no wireless charging, and the camera isn't as good as the S7 but it's close, and no water resistance. Is it worth giving up mainly the AMOED display, slightly better camera performance, and slightly smaller battery for the V20s quad DAC?
It all depends on what's more important to you. Photography? Or Audio? If your an audiophile V20 is the best option for you. Now again if you say you like photography and love to take pictures on your Smartphone just like me there are a few things according to me.
V20 has a 16MP Camera if I am right and can take ultra wide Shots with both rear and front camera so the pics can be cropped more due to higher pixel count.

For me I would choose V20 for photography. If you want good pics in low light I guess Samsung would be better. Not to mention V20 takes great low light shots.

Final verdict from my side V20 would be my choice. I would not feel much difference over loosing AMOLED screen and Water resistance. But water resistance does help. All depends on what you need the most.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I had a V10 and loved it... until the update which destroyed my battery life. Tried everything and I am some what tech savvy. We switched carriers and I got a note 7. Had it under a week. Some things I like better... Some not. But after the battery issue..... the v20 scares me. I think I'll stick with my N7.