MKBHD V20 Video

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Older tech amoled, but not panels over the past few years. The issue with LCD is the power consumption since even with "black" the entire display is always on.

Cracks me up when folks tout the battery life of the Plus. It has a 7% smaller display and pushing almost half the pixels.

Note 7 as example is on par with the Plus when adjusted to 1080p like the Plus.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Older tech amoled, but not panels over the past few years.

A trip I took to Verizon within the past 6 months would beg to differ. Pretty much every phone on display with an AMOLED screen had severe burn in. That includes the current flagships of the day. These were not static screens either, but running their constantly changing product demo app. By contrast, the phones with LCD panels were mostly fine.

Sure, this was just one case from personal observations, but the difference was so bad that I think AMOLED still has a ways to go on this front.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A trip I took to Verizon within the past 6 months would beg to differ. Pretty much every phone on display with an AMOLED screen had severe burn in. That includes the current flagships of the day. These were not static screens either, but running their constantly changing product demo app. By contrast, the phones with LCD panels were mostly fine.

Sure, this was just one case from personal observations, but the difference was so bad that I think AMOLED still has a ways to go on this front.

So phones that are consistently abused by consumers, on for 8-10 hours a day every day while charging and set to max brightness? Burn in is possible on AMOLED displays, it's just difficult to encounter in the wild under normal usage conditions - even with features like active display, always on display, etc.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 8th phone with an amoled display, and the only one I've ever seen burn in was the galaxy nexus. My mother is still using my old note 2 daily, and it's still fine. Burn in is always possible, but it certainly wouldn't deter me from using a phone with an amoled display.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So phones that are consistently abused by consumers, on for 8-10 hours a day every day while charging and set to max brightness? Burn in is possible on AMOLED displays, it's just difficult to encounter in the wild under normal usage conditions - even with features like active display, always on display, etc.

AMOLED may be better than it used to be regarding burn in, but it's still way behind the LCD's under the same conditions.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Was there someone else that commented and said that IPS screens were bad, or was this directed at me? I don't dislike IPS/LCD screens at all, I just acknowledge that what Samsung put on the GS7 and Note 7 this year are better, mainly brighter and truer colors. But if you don't have them side by side all the time it probably won't be a big deal to you. I love LG phones and it's never really bothered me that they aren't AMOLED. But I guess I was just watching this video and thought that the screen looked really excellent.

I am curious why you dislike IPS so much? I was reading that AMOLED screens can have really bad burn in.