Downgrade firmware SW Rev. using Odin

s5etab

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
I made the terrible mistake of upgrading my S5e from Android 9 to Android 11 and I regret it whenever I use my tablet. I tried to live with it for a few weeks but everything is for the worse (explained here). I want to downgrade using Odin but Samsung has decided that downgrading to a lower SW Rev. is forbidden. My current SW Rev. is 3 (T720XXS3DWA1) and I want to downgrade to SW Rev. 1 (T720XXU1ATE3) which is the latest Android 9 firmware version.

Most instructions on how to "fix"🙄 the error "SW REV CHECK FAIL: [abl]Fused 3 > Binary 1" is to use the latest firmware version, which is not a solution for me. But there are some obscure videos that explain how to bypass the SW Rev. check: YT video 1 and YT video 2. However, video 1 uses a modified Odin version (potentially dangerous?) and video 2 is too overwhelming/technical for me. So does anyone know how I'm able to downgrade my tablet?

Rico4you

Q&A Team
Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I made the terrible mistake of upgrading my S5e from Android 9 to Android 11 and I regret it whenever I use my tablet. I tried to live with it for a few weeks but everything is for the worse (explained here). I want to downgrade using Odin but Samsung has decided that downgrading to a lower SW Rev. is forbidden. My current SW Rev. is 3 (T720XXS3DWA1) and I want to downgrade to SW Rev. 1 (T720XXU1ATE3) which is the latest Android 9 firmware version.

Most instructions on how to "fix" the error "SW REV CHECK FAIL: [abl]Fused 3 > Binary 1" is to use the latest firmware version, which is not a solution for me. But there are some obscure videos that explain how to bypass the SW Rev. check: YT video 1 and YT video 2. However, video 1 uses a modified Odin version (potentially dangerous?) and video 2 is too overwhelming/technical for me. So does anyone know how I'm able to downgrade my tablet?
I'm on Android 11 on TAB S5e and smooth as butter working great . Yes I'm no more updates from Samsung but as of today working great.

s5etab

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
I'm on Android 11 on TAB S5e and smooth as butter working great . Yes I'm no more updates from Samsung but as of today working great.
I guess my somewhat bashing attitude towards Android 11 warranted a response from someone to defend Android 11. I understand that you are part of the vast majority that is happy with the latest Android version on the Tab S5e. Sadly I'm not part of this group, hence this post.

If anyone has knowledge of how to downgrade any (Samsung) Android device then I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it here. I considered moving to LineageOS but I would rather not want to lose access to the Google Play Store. I'll be visiting some local repair shops this coming weekend to check if they know if it's possible to downgrade my tablet. I'll update this thread if I find a solution. I'm willing to test any methods on my older devices: Samsung S3 & S7E, and Sony Z2 tablet.

Ps. I don't know if this thread is in the correct sub-forum because it's about how to downgrade a Samsung device in general.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe that when Samsung updates the OS, sometimes the bootloader is updated too. You can go a few minor build updates forward with the same bootloader version and go back just within those builds if needed. But once the bootloader is updated to the next version, you can't go back to the previous version. Jumping several OS versions ahead certainly updates the bootloader several versions with it

@mustang7757 may have some ideas. XDA Developers Forum may be another place to look if there are any options for you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's too big of downgrade to go back from 11 to 9 usually can go back to previous version from the current one that's out but that gets Lock shortly.

Reactions: Laura Knotek