The Verge LG V20 Review

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Why am I not surprised that they hated on the V20?

LG didn't pay them enough. I laughed my [removed] off after reading this "" But it’s also a very big phone — too big, honestly — with ugly software, no water resistance, and a lack of the cohesion that makes Apple and Google smartphones feel so excellent."

or

"THE BEST PHONE IF YOU’RE THAT PERSON WHO RECORDS EVERYTHING AT CONCERTS"

Very big phone?? Really!! Any phone size around 5.5" above is consider big.

Last edited by a moderator:

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Prepare for more marginal reviews. LG caused this by putting prerelease models in reviewers hands and then saying for them not to post their comments. Then releasing the handset too long after the excitement and at the same time as the Google phone. I chose the V20 over the Pixel. While I think the reviews are a bit unfair they are what they are. Droidlife is going to release their review soon and I will be surprised if it is good. After the Note 7 they had a great opportunity between V20, Pixel and S7 Edge

zombiejerky

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
While I do miss my Note 7, I can't say this phone is TOO Large. Isn't that why you want a Phablet in the first place? My hands aren't HUGE as I am only 5'7" (no, that isn't a giggity), but I don't have a problem using it with one hand.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
All I care about in reviews is cellular reception (pixel fair at best) bluetooth reception (pixel and iphone 7 both have problems) speed (v20 comparable to others). I care more about ir blaster than waterproofing (which never really works) but no reviewer will even mention ir.

I agree with reviewers v20 is too big and I prefer led to second screen (it's smaller). All phones should offer wireless charging but pixel doesn't either. I also like capacitive buttons on bezel rather than icons wasting screen space.

Reviewers always love pure Android with no features and iphone with no features even if bluetooth and reception suck they never mention it.

Why would I care if a reviewer thinks a device is pretty? I don't care if it's pretty. If I did I would buy a g7e.

We all weigh what is important to us. I preferred Note 7 but V20 is the best phone for ME available NOW.

I choose the V20 over the others for the ir blaster and hdmi connectivity. Reviewers couldn't care less. Most of V20 owners couldn't care less either but those features mean a lot to ME and I'm paying for the darn thing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All I care about in reviews is cellular reception (pixel fair at best) bluetooth reception (pixel and iphone 7 both have problems) speed (v20 comparable to others). I care more about ir blaster than waterproofing (which never really works) but no reviewer will even mention ir.

I agree with reviewers v20 is too big and I prefer led to second screen (it's smaller). All phones should offer wireless charging but pixel doesn't either. I also like capacitive buttons on bezel rather than icons wasting screen space.

Reviewers always love pure Android with no features and iphone with no features even if bluetooth and reception suck they never mention it.

Why would I care if a reviewer thinks a device is pretty? I don't care if it's pretty. If I did I would buy a g7e.

We all weigh what is important to us. I preferred Note 7 but V20 is the best phone for ME available NOW.

I choose the V20 over the others for the ir blaster and hdmi connectivity. Reviewers couldn't care less. Most of V20 owners couldn't care less either but those features mean a lot to ME and I'm paying for the darn thing.

Looks like you're going to have to pony up and buy these phones to do your own review.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I am tired of a lot of the bad reviews. It is always done entitled paste eater complaining about something ridiculous it wrong. Too big? Put it next to the iPhone 6s plus I just came from and it isn't much different. And YES. To me the audio is always huge. I have never owned and iPod. My phone has always been my player so it IS huge. And the sd card slot means I can store a lot of my music (currently a 200 gig but might splurge for the 512).. There is no such thing as a perfect phone.. IPhone, Pixel etc are all good. It is all in the feature set that suits you. I am tired of people hating because one little feature or something is not up to their entitled panty waste standard.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Prepare for more marginal reviews. LG caused this by putting prerelease models in reviewers hands and then saying for them not to post their comments. Then releasing the handset too long after the excitement and at the same time as the Google phone. I chose the V20 over the Pixel. While I think the reviews are a bit unfair they are what they are. Droidlife is going to release their review soon and I will be surprised if it is good. After the Note 7 they had a great opportunity between V20, Pixel and S7 Edge

Android Authority review..they liked it..
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=4f7kzINlnCo

zombiejerky

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Reviews are generally one person's opinions, so you have to look at as many as you can and try to see what matters most to you based off what they are saying. It's not like LG is going to let everyone take home one for a week for a trial run (would be nice though).

I swear though, so many polarized opinions about just about everything on this phone.

• Camera is the worst (over saturated)
  • Camera is the best (you can tweak it to your hearts content)
    -
  • Screen isn't as good as AMOLED (not bright enough, blacks aren't black enough)
  • Screen is better than AMOLED (more natural colors)
    -
  • Second screen is worthless
  • Second screen is great, I use it all the time now
    -
  • The fingerprint reader is oddly located, I can't find it most of the time
  • The fingerprint reader is perfectly placed and can unlock with one hand
    -
  • Audio with 4 32-bit DAC is the best
  • Audio did the worst with too much crosstalk
    -
  • By default doesn't have an app drawer
  • App drawer pre-installed, it's nice that you just have to enable it

These are just a few and have come from actual reviews from both written and youtube videos. BTW, if you are reading those, it isn't me stating what someone said and me contradicting it, that was from contradicting reviews.

I really, really, no really, miss my Note 7. I MAY have gotten a Pixel XL if they were readily available, but because the Note7 second recall happened after pre-orders took place, I missed that boat and had to go with what was available (I need a phone for work).

So far though, I am really happy with my V20.

Last edited:

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I love the app drawer complaints I see in reviews. They go on and on about it not there, how they used it for a day with no app drawer and hated it but got used to it a little and you may too......... Then say, oh by the way, there is a setting to enable the app drawer

justins24

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I love the app drawer complaints I see in reviews. They go on and on about it not there, how they used it for a day with no app drawer and hated it but got used to it a little and you may too......... Then say, oh by the way, there is a setting to enable the app drawer

Yet they probably love the iPhone which has no app drawer.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This one really made me chuckle.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/lg-v20-reasons-not-to-buy-it/

For example, we’re not big fans of the rear-facing home button*and prefer when it’s on the front below the*screen. The S7 and S7 Edge are good examples of how to execute this properly.

Are they talking about the home button or the power button? Either way they completely failed the comparison. The home button is on the front, and the S7 power buttons are on the side.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This one really made me chuckle.

LG V20: Reasons NOT to buy it

Are they talking about the home button or the power button? Either way they completely failed the comparison. The home button is on the front, and the S7 power buttons are on the side.

Plus, the Samsung execution is not the standard. Their navigation button order is backwards. Samsung’s execution is just one of many ways that people have implemented navigation buttons. LG has another, HTC has another, Google has another, etc.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Also going to add that TechnoBuffalo is very close to the most useless tech rags out there.
I can see why. I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was reliable, mostly because I've never read them before. It just popped up in an unrelated search, but I had to check it out for that kind of headline.