LG V20 Virtual Reality Headset

mcgoverne555

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a VR headset for a gift this Christmas but I'm not sure the best one for the LG V20. I've seen nothing but bad reviews for the LG one so i'm hoping there's one that is universal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LisaLB

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Just ordered a Homido V2 from Best Buy. Should arrive this week so will let you know how it works with the LG V20. I did some research and the LG did NOT get good reviews at all so with this size screen it narrows down the choices by far. Will let you know.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a Homido V2 from Best Buy. Should arrive this week so will let you know how it works with the LG V20. I did some research and the LG did NOT get good reviews at all so with this size screen it narrows down the choices by far. Will let you know.

I believe LCDs aren't the best when it comes to VR

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The new GEAR VR is pretty nice. The screen works well and the size works well. I think the google one will be the best out but until they add support for the V20 I think the Samsung Gear VR is the best option with available 3d movies, recordings and games.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The new GEAR VR is pretty nice. The screen works well and the size works well. I think the google one will be the best out but until they add support for the V20 I think the Samsung Gear VR is the best option with available 3d movies, recordings and games.

Samsung does not work unless you have a Samsung phone

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Samsung does not work unless you have a Samsung phone

Yea, I asked about this on the forums here. I have a Samsung vr coming to me from my note 7 promotion. I'm gonna try it and see what it can and can't do. My fiance has an s7 so at least I can use it with that.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a S7 mainly just to use with the 2016 Gear VR. Best fit IMO for VR, since more pixel density, so less screen door (looks better than my Note 7 did). Movies look very good and I bought a ton of games during the current winter sale. Surprised at the amount of good games.

Use my Note 4 with new battery as main phone. The Note 4 has more screen door and has heat warmings after about 15 minutes with VR. I like having the S7 as a dedicated VR device. Plus great back up phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, I meant will the LG V20 work like Google cardboard at least with the Samsung vr?

Google cardboard is separate from Samsung VR so I'm not sure what the question is. Google cardboard works with most phones but I'm not sure LCDs work that well with VR in general

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Google cardboard is separate from Samsung VR so I'm not sure what the question is. Google cardboard works with most phones but I'm not sure LCDs work that well with VR in general

I just tried it quickly and with the adaptor on, it seems like the v20 won't even fit.

Last edited:

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
If you're trying to fit the phone with cardboard...Do you have the right viewer? Or maybe you are trying to fit the phone with generic viewer? If you go the link below you can pick out a proper sized viewer for around 15 bucks.

https://vr.google.com/cardboard/get-cardboard/

No, i posted above i just got the Samsung gear VR from a promotion when it had the note 7. The LG V20 does not even fit

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That's what I'm have been reading...I just to maybe it would a work like Google cardboard with standard 3D

Just like Mike mentioned above it's not compatible. Specifically, the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Note 5, and Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy S7 edge & Galaxy S7 are the only phones that work with the new Gears VR.

For the V20 you're better off trying the LG 360 VR R100 or the cardboard. Daydream would be another great option, but the SDK is not exctacly tolerant to the LCDs at the moment. I would give it more time, besides OLED screens for phones are right around the corner. It's already been a success for apple watches, and with the 10th anniversary of the iphone coming up next year it would make sense for them to follow suit. I'm sure LG will have a similar phone to counter since they're the leading distributors of OLED at the moment (the displays for apple watches were actually supplied by LG Display).