Battery Drain/Heat

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm new to the forums and decided it would be a good idea to join a community to learn more about this phone. Just a little history on myself, I had the Samsung Note 1-5, made a switch to iPhone 6s plus, and while trying to upgrade to the 7 fell in love with the V20 and made the change. Theres probably 100 of topics but I have yet to find a solution. I have had my Lg V20 now for 2 months, and just recently I have been having issues with my battery, the phone gets hot while in pocket randomly, battery overnight has drained from 80%+ to 0 about three times now and almost caused me to be late to work those times lol.
Some information, I only charge to 100% and never more, I don't overnight charge, I usually just charge when I can through a car charger or swap to my second battery if I have too. I constantly close 'recent apps' and also use greenify/purify/and just yesterday downloaded hibernation to stop some of the apps I feel could be the problem. My carrier is T-Mobile, T-Mobile hotspot and capture+ show 9% drain, I do have a lot of apps but I don't download what I don't need. So my problem really is the battery draining while phone is locked/idle I have been using accubattery to keep track of things and I just can't find the problem which led me to forums, some of you guys loose about 1-5% overnight, I just lost 7% in about 30mins while in pocket. Definitely would appreciate help.

Last edited:

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! I originally got it to be able to freeze mobile hotspot or any other draining app, I really don't think it did much though lol. The hibernation app seems to work wonders 👌 but still not sure as it's only been a day.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! I originally got it to be able to freeze mobile hotspot or any other draining app, I really don't think it did much though lol. The hibernation app seems to work wonders 👌 but still not sure as it's only been a day.

I think that, with Nougat, the hibernation apps and Greenify actually drains battery. I love love loved greenify and have tried it three separate times on this phone, and I get worse battery drain.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Those screenshots are hard to read (like they are super low resolution), so I can't help much other than to agree that battery saving apps often actually hurt the battery life. I'd suggest turning them of or uninstalling them and see West happens. I'd also stop clearing out the recent apps screen. Android is designed to keep RAM full, and any time an app is forced closed, it will just initialize another one to take its place.

Since you said it sometimes gets pretty hot in your pocket, is it too hot to touch and losing most/all of the charge almost instantly? If so, that's a sign the battery itself is defective and needs replacing.

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Sorry about the pictures guys, how do you guys upload? I just used a website similar to tinypic to resize and post. I deleted greenify and any "battery saving" app and will see how things go from here. The battery gets hot when phone is locked, does not drain instantly or gets hot to the point where I can't touch but it looses about 5% in 10 mins. Those 3 times that phone died overnight it shows screen off 81% as the cause of battery drain, and Android system is always at the top of the list between 10% and 20% When I'm using the phone it does not get hot and seems to be fine it's just at idle/locked. Both batteries I have the same issue. I have ordered another battery which is coming Tuesday.

Last edited:

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about the pictures guys, how do you guys upload? I just used a website similar to tinypic to resize and post. I deleted greenify and any "battery saving" app and will see how things go from here. The battery gets hot when phone is locked, does not drain instantly or gets hot to the point where I can't touch but it looses about 5% in 10 mins. Those 3 times that phone died overnight it shows screen off 81% as the cause of battery drain, and Android system is always at the top of the list between 10% and 20% When I'm using the phone it does not get hot and seems to be fine it's just at idle/locked. Both batteries I have the same issue. I have ordered another battery which is coming Tuesday.
I don't think its a problem with the battery itself seeing as it happens with both batteries. I mean, the chance of getting 2 dud batteries is almost, not gonna say absolutely, impossible. I am not
sure what the issue is but I would say the thing to do is to factory reset the device. I know it's a pain. Wipe it, reset it up, redownload apps, retweak all your settings, redisable unused apps, shoot me now. But all said and done, if anything will fix it that will. If that doesn't work, I hate to say, warranty replace it. I really hope that all it takes is a factory reset though.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I can't see your pictures either, they're like super low resolution. That may be a side effect of using Tapatalk or the mobile app.

As far as battery drain, are you using high-accuracy GPS? That'd certainly eat up your battery.

Pyrem

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Ahahaha. I reinstalled my Windows in similar case, after 3 years of usage with perfect working, only due to small disconnections on PC only (Ethernet)... to my surprise I had to reinstall and refix all the 3 years of adjustment and the issue still wasn't fixed.

I suspect the same here... -cough- Careful!

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
I am on tmobile ^
Before joining the forums for help I actually did do a factory reset and it didn't help at all, it could have been because I restored everything through LG Backup so I still ended up with same settings and apps lol.
I did delete all the apps I was using to help with my battery (or so I thought) and the phone does not get hot any longer, it's only been a day but already a dramatic change. The battery life still is awful when "screen off" I am using accubattery to monitor everything and last night from 11:45pm to 2:42am the battery went from 53% to dead, on-screen time 10% and off screen time 41% so there's definitely something killing the battery when not being used. My AVG battery shows 14% screen on and 10% screen off lol. I'm going to download another battery monitor app and compare to get more information maybe Accubattery is missing something.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The battery life still is awful when "screen off" I am using accubattery to monitor everything and last night from 11:45pm to 2:42am the battery went from 53% to dead, on-screen time 10% and off screen time 41%

Are you saying the app is showing the screen to be on at times, even when it's supposed to be off? If so, I have two suggestions to verify and possibly stop it.

Turn your developer options on, then set it to keep the screen on when plugged in. Then plug it in and turn the screen off, even overnight once or twice. If the screen is actually turning on, you'll still see it on when you wake up because it wouldn't have been able to time out while you slept.

If this is what's happening, turn the knock-on off and see if you notice any difference. I'm not sure why, but my old G4 had an issue where it was recognizing a double tap repeatedly during the night, causing the screen to constantly turn on and off, killing the battery. Disabling knock-on stopped it, so may be worth trying if you think the screen is being turned on when you're not using it.

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
I will try and a post a picture so you guys can understand and help me more. To my knowledge on screen time means when I am using the phone, YouTube, gaming, etc. And off screen time is when the phone is locked and away, so when I'm sleeping something is draining the battery. It happened again last night and I woke up to a dead phone, Accubattery showed 42% off screen time, and on settings Android System is on top of the list with 28% apps related to Android System, T-Mobile hotpsot, Quick Memo+, LG Backup, are all 25% battery usage. I have downloaded GSam battery app to monitor and compare, but I just can't pinpoint the exact problem, or how to solve it.
post images

photo hosting

Last edited:

Norman Ruano

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
need help guys, this is getting frustrating. The phone once again went from 100 to dead, and this time I was late to work. I did a factory reset, I did all the setting changes, GSam doesn't say much besides combined cpu, might have gotten a bad batch.